1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 26, 2021.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    After the Titanic hit the iceberg, the band kept playing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did they truly, or is it a falsely spread tale. I've played in a lot of bands out, and If I was there...I would have definitely stopped. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Since when do you have to throw to your first read if the receiver is covered? Are you saying Ben can’t see that there are 6 defenders ready to swarm Harris?

That he couldn’t see he had a play with White and in the next game, Freiermuth by looking at the coverage?

I’m not defending Canada, he shouldn’t be handcuffing Ben at the line from changing plays and a play to Harris in the flat shouldn’t be his first read in those situations but yeah, Ben can easily go to his second read there.

I don’t think Ben would get killed during film review, more like, good call Ben, Harris had no where to go.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny, to my post above, I actually was going to ask if you were reincarnated. But I’m not one to be a smart ass ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed.
    I've said this a few times. That's not how play calls work.
    Just Like You said.
    If the play is called , and Your 1st read is open....You don't look for another read. You don't purposely look past Your 1st open read.

6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    There are five receivers in the pattern. How do you know Najee was the primary and not the checkdown?

How does Ben not try to scan the field?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Lame. How do you know he's the first read? Ben is allowed to scan the field. We needed a first down, he bailed on the play before it had a chance.

Starting to wonder if he's doing it on purpose to get Canada fired so he can run his zero study/draw plays in the dirt offense.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The answer to the first question is your second question.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How do You know He is not. I definitely know this. You don't read left 2 right on most plays....unless primary target it 2 the left on said play call, and if Your first read is open ....You are not supposed 2 go past Him. I know this.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See you kind of maybe answer your own Question. If Ben thinks it's Dumb play , it is His primary target, and He's tired of listening 2 Canada....why would he look anywhere else. He knows How plays are supposed 2 be read....so it works in His favor either way. :shrug:

11. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've said before in other posts that his mechanics have changed since his elbow injury. It became worse as the season wore on last year. More so on longer passes you will notice his shoulder does not rotate, but seems to be pushing the ball forward. I think he is trying to overcompensate with that push of the shoulder to make up for the lost of elbow strength.

12. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    During the post game interview he said he has been coaching Najee and telling him to run bigger, because he is a big guy. He cannot just go down when he gets hit. That comment from Ben bugged me a bit. I haven't seen Najee just drop when hit, he has been fighting for yards and been a punishing runner. That stiff arm a few games back?... not a move for someone not running big. It reminded me of him calling Washington out a few years ago saying "James knows he has to play better."

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Coach T is a players Coach that's why the players Love him..IMO he is giving his QB every chance to right the ship and doing all he can to get others to help him out..Make a play so to speak..The problem is we may be at a point that letting Ben continue to play is a risk to not only him , but the guys around him trying to do to much.. As I stated when we drafted Harris it might be best to just shelf him as he is taking a lot of hits with no results as in wins .. Why bang up your future for a short term future that looks very dark..

Yep back to Dobbs again ..lol ..If he was available he would be our best option to keep the D honest, every DC has the same plan facing us they had it since the Ravens game last year I think,they will use the same plan on Mason and Haskins ,if neither can hit the deep ball or extend plays the poor results will sure continue..

A mobile QB is the wild card and it should have been played long ago and not shelved to stash him this year .. With our current roster Harris is probably our best bet at QB ..lol..I would go wing t with Snell as the FB and Ballege at 1 Wing and Claypool at the other at least then we could run to multiple holes with multiple people , any of which can't throw the ball more poorly than our current QB ...

I know some will say peewee ball , but the Wing T with a passing game is a College level O not ran yet in the NFL and with the way we look I have no doubt it would be better than what we have seen..

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kaboly noticed this in his first camp back from surgery, said he arm angle has changed.

Ben’s almost 40 and beat to hell over his career, injuries and aches and sores are messing up his delivery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    That's your guess. Could be Ben knew the checkdown and was seeing ghosts because he's afraid to get hit.

Even if he was he's allowed to scan the field and make a first down. Tomlin said he's happy with the play call, they had plenty of guys past the sticks and it was an execution problem.

16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    So the QB is tanking the offense out of spite? That's the argument in favor of keeping Ben in the lineup?

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I bet you could twist a banana into a martini.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It like playing with 10 on Offense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's Not an Argument.
    Not everything Has 2 Be an Argument.
    I'm saying....if...if You as a Qb thought it was a Stupid play, and was tired of Stupid plays....the best way 2 show that would be... 2 go 2 Your primary target on said play if open, and knowing He wouldn't be able 2 pick up the required Yards.

21. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    “Battling multiple injuries”? Other than the recent hip, what other injury has he had?

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    pectoral injury after the bengals debacle

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They will never publicly bench Ben but if he continues to suck and the fans are booing the team at home then he will quietly miss games through injury. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from putting Ben through the humiliation of benching him.

Id lean towards it being almost a certainty that he comes out of the lineup if his play doesn’t improve. It may well come as a relief to him