1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, the blocked field goal was our last gasp in that game. However, I certainly don’t look at it as a game that was stolen by the Refs. I can’t see us winning that game without some other low probability play (or 2) occurring. We were overmatched
    Joe Montana, Brett Farve and Troy Aikman have some awesome credentials as well. Why not one of them instead? If current age and physical capabilities aren’t a factor….

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh I agree about standing in, and taking the Hit....it's Just that He's taking Hits that normally came with hanging onto the Ball 2 go deep , or find someone....in His mind now is No Matter how fast I'm getting rid of it ...I'm still taking those same Hits.
    Honestly this is the Worst line I can remember seeing on this team. In a whole. I've seen a bunch of bad players on the line, but not as a whole Line.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry. I don't understand the Question :shrug:

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The point is that you’re citing his credentials by looking pretty far in the past, and being dismissive of the obviously visible degradation in his ability with age. He hasn’t been to a Super Bowl in a decade.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That comment I made was regarding His HOF credentials...not His play today, or tomorrow. Someone was talking about His being a HOF or not. That was My response. :thumbs_up:

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, then I agree. First ballot all the way, though his off-the-field questions as a younger man could cause him to wait a year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Shouldn't. It's play on the field...not off. IMO.
    At Least that's what I always go by.

8. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    " Blame Canadaaaaaa"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If we don't bench Ben, we may as well bench Najee. No sense in allowing him to get beaten up and risk his chance of being an impact player for years to come.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben says he knows he can play better, blames mechanics being off. My question is why is he struggling with mechanics at this point of his career? Only thing it could be is injuries and many of us have felt something has been wrong since the Dallas game last season.

https://www.steelers.com/news/ben-i-know-i-can-play-better

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    His ego is injured. I say let them cook up some faux season ending injury and let him go have surgery and rehab the rest of the year and then ride off into the sunset in the off season before he completely destroys his legacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They will probably keep that in their back pocket and let him play for 2 or 3 more games then if he is s it ll playing poorly it will be “Ben aggravated his hip injury”.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If mechanics are still off 4 games into the season then I’d say it can’t be fixed and he cannot play better

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Ben's mechanics are off because he isn't practicing enough. If a player has a flaw, practicing the correction of the flaw is the only way to fix the flaw. I personally think his play is just as much mental as it is physical. He is throwing to his first read more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Media: Ben why do you think the team is last in the AFC North as well as many league statistics?

Ben: It starts with me, I set the example. I've got to prepare and play better

Media: Ben you're in street clothes are you planning on practicing today?

Ben: Next question!

Frigging joke! If you aren't well enough to practice then you aren't well enough to play. Enough of this abuse of the Veterans day off BS

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, the Wednesday off routine seems pretty sketchy when you see how often he is “not on the same page” with his receivers. Funny how it seems to be multiple receivers. Who is the common denominator, and can working that extra day help?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    From his presser today it sounds like it's pain preventing proper mechanics - not able to step into throws. We all saw this starting mid to late last year.

He's got arthritic knees. This is probably the best he's going to be again.

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Im pretty much in agreement with all of the above. Im just more interested in growing the team long term. To help me follow your desire to keep Ben starting, couple of easy questions, starting with number one:

Are you holding out for the possibility of the Steelers still making the playoffs and competing for a Super Bowl?

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Playoffs Yes....SB....once in the Playoffs anything can, and Has Happened.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a nice whatever it is called, thanks.

It also reinforces the fact this was the play that was called. Ben went to Najee immediately. That was his primary receiver. He ran the play properly. Lousy ****ing call by the OC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, then no need for questions 2-137. Those all were based on an opposite response from you on playoffs.

I am not even remotely as optimistic as you are about playoffs, but that is why they play the games.

If I thought playoffs were still a possibility, I would also think Ben, such as he is, would be our best option.

Me, if we don’t think we have any chance of the playoffs, then give the other two playing time, and maybe in the years to come, we have a good backup.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Canada is limiting Bens ability to change plays at the line, which is wrong by the way but Ben doesn’t have to throw to his first read.

I will say though that it shouldn’t be his first read but, Ben is a pro, he should know that play will fail and go to his second read.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If We Mathematically are eliminated...I totally see Your point :thumbs_up:, but 4 games is a far cry from eliminated in a 17 game season...with 7 playoff spots.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If that was the play called, it definitely only works if done immediately. He didn’t have the option of looking around. Otherwise, are you suggesting he should just ignore the play the OC called? That sure as poop crackers should get Ben, or any QB, benched.

• Winner Winner x 1