1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Tuitt done or what?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 5, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Don't really know if it's injury or after his brother was killed in that hit and run which by the way is horrible, but it really seems to me like his absence has been an unordinary amount of silence. Defense could really use his talent especially now after Alualu broke his ankle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It can't be due to the unfortunate death of his brother. Makes no sense that someone would need this much time to adjust. Most work places give about a week bereavement leave and sometimes that depends on if the services are in or out of town. This has to be injury related IMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know, but even if he comes back will it be that much of a difference? He probably would be sharing snaps when he returns and misses a lot of time in general due to injuries.

4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You know what I don't get? The league has gotten softer every year the last decade, and the Steelers have been destroyed by injures worse and worse every year. When the league allowed defenses to play, they used to always have guys that played regularly. Not many full season injury issues to prime players. I think Polamalu was the worst one in 2009 when he couldn't get healthy. That was it during that run with that team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I dont know but I sure do wish he would come back soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Amid the vague references to a knee issue Keith Butler admitted a few weeks back that Tuitt was not in football shape. Stefon has obviously taken his brother passing very hard.

I get that in most jobs regardless of personal issues you have to show up and get on with it but playing DT in the NFL is not most jobs. It requires you to be in peak physical and mental condition and wrestle with some of the strongest and most athletic people on the planet week in week out. Very difficult when you are having a personal crisis, regardless of how much you are paid to play or how much the team needs you.

I’m just speculating of course because I dont have all the facts but I don’t buy the knee injury angle, at least not fully.

if he does come back I expect it’ll be after the bye week but how useful he will be to the team is anybody’s guess. The loss of Alualu coupled with Tuitt was a real killer for the D. They are not the same unit as the previous two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is same thing that confuses the hell out of me. It is almost like there our injuries now that were not around years ago but I guess that can't be.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Not to be so blunt or heartless...But he should retire then...I haven't lost a Brother thank God, But I have lost my Dad and Mom...

I had a week ( actually only paid me for 3 days ) then could " grieve " up to 5 days...If the grieving is the reason he's out, he SHOULDN'T continue to get paid ..Either don't get paid, come back, or retire...You don't just continue to get paid 11 million forever, and not show up for work...Idc what line of work you're in

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think he’s done. The brother death did him in

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In any case, he is not someone we can rely on as a starter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I live in Chicago. Nobody is still allowed to talk about why Jonathan Toews missed the entire season last year. This is starting to remind me of that.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You're misremembering. Aaron Smith missed a lot of time, Snack blew a knee, Woodley, Ken Bell, Chad Brown with nagging injuries, Woodson in '95, Thigpen in '96, Lloyd, Foster...probably more I'm forgetting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah it’s really puzzling why they restructured him before the season and guaranteed his money for the year. They could have agreed that he would opt out if they knew he needed time away from the game. Perhaps there genuinely is a knee issue, IDK

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This is a real possibility. Scribe mentioned and I feel the same it is phycological.

Yes i'm sure he is out of shape he probably has done nothing.

Understand rather then being understood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is why I think it is a psychological issue beyond just the grief of losing his brother. I hate to speculate beyond that, but there are many conditions that would make it far more difficult for a person to handle a tragic death like that one.

I have lost a brother. I've also lost both parents. I was never out for more than a week. I'm tempted to criticize Tuitt for being out so long or the team for putting up with it, but we don't really know what is going on there. My best guess is he has a psychological issue that was exacerbated by his brother's death. That led to poor conditioning, among other issues, which is the real reason he's not playing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. The silence behind any physical updates speaks volumes. Whatever the case may be I wish him the best and a speedy recovery whether it be Physical, Psychological or a combination of both.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I think alot of it is the lack of practicing and conditioning. The players lobbied for less practice in the CBA. This means they have less time to ramp up to football shape and speed. Then they go into games all of a sudden going 100% and the bodies are not ready for it.

There is also that some of these guys just continue to get bigger and bigger and the human body/frame can only handle so much.

So probably a combination of both.

• Like Like x 2
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes it can be about his brother's death especially if he is having bouts of depression pre and post trauma. If my older brother had been killed I'd be sad but I'd move on and continue. Not that I don't love my brother but our relationship has always been 1st born son vs 2nd born son. Now if my younger brother was taken suddenly I'd be devastated. He was my best man at my wedding, my best friend, room mate for 5 years and the person that I always worry the most about. I remember watching a TV show once where they had been trying electroshock therapy to treat bipolar disorder which my brother's both suffer from and calling my mom crying begging her to never let them do that to my younger brother.

If Tuitt had any type of close relationship with his brother it can be a long process to deal with the loss.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So sorry for your loss! That was my point, not to be heartless or unsympathetic but, A Football Players grief over losing a Brother is no less hurtful than if it happens to a Steelworker, Nurse, or a McDonalds Employee...

Again, I feel sorry for him, I wish him sympathy and prayers but ..If he can't preform his job, He shouldn't be paid

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d say you are not far from the truth there. The death of his brother has led to him being out of shape one way or another. Whatever the case may be he is not ready to play yet and they probably need to plan for the rest of the year without him.

The whole thing is very unfortunate for everyone involved.

I still dont get why they restructured his contract when the opt out option was open to them though.

21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I think they do those things just out of the kindness of their hearts. Sorta the way they took care of Shazier even though they knew there was little chance of him returning. In the real world most companies would kick an employee to the curb more so than not. The NFL is more like a fraternity who mainly looks after one another. That's why you hardly see any hatred between teams and players anymore unlike the 70's, 80' and even 90's. They all butter each others bread now.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Thanks. I get your thinking. I guess they don't want to go there.

23. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    This is a redshirt yr for tuitt.... There is no real timetable for grief... He's not in football shape because his mind isn't on football and I don't think there's anyone who can blame him...... He'll be back next season with continued support

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    People completely disregard mental health.

whether it be a complete nervous breakdown, anxiety, depression, or whatever, these things can sometimes take a long time to recover from.

Not saying this is what is going on with Tuitt or what happened to Toews last year, but we can't eliminate it either. Lots of athletes have had to deal with mental health issues, David Freese, Bradshaw, Phelps, etc. have all had issues. Kevin Love wrote about a panic attack he had at halftime of a game and traced his anxiety to his grandmother's death.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Everyone is different with loss and grief, so I'm not going to speak on it.

Some are like Brett Favre loose your Dad, go out the next day and throw for 4 TDs.

Then I see someone like Matt Murray with the Penguins play good, win 2 Stanley cups, lose your Dad, and then loose your edge and game.

None of us can be sure if its a grief issue with Tuitt or is it strictly the knee issue, no one knows, and Steelers aren't saying much at all.

• Agree Agree x 1