1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 26, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No point in pissing off Ben in the final minutes. Seasons over. Rudolph or Haskins aren't winning us a Super Bowl. Let Ben get his stats and secure us a high draft pick. Looking at the schedule and early bye. I don't think he wants to miss any home games so at Chargers and Bengals then depends on if he wants 1 more home Ravens game. Then at Vikings. That would be a good 4 game stretch to miss. We can play Rudolph and Haskins and see what they got. Then he comes back for the farewell. Everybody wins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I better go get checked out. I'm actually agreeing with both Benny and SDOT this morning. Next thing I'll be rating Heinz Mustard as "optimistic", confusing Glenn with Mother Teresa and calling JEH young man. :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As will show 2 any that watched the Game on Some of A. Rodgers throws. Of course He won , and is Loved By all....so when the D was all on Him at times , and His throws are behind, over , in the ground, or way in front of His Wrs....its....Well our D made that Happen...Hmmm....Yet their D ....somehow didn't make Ben throw any bad throws....It was all on Ben....Strange How winning changes all that.

4. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Are the Steelers afraid to bench Ben?

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    But ... The rest of the teams sux too!

They need to look in the mirror.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is total, 100% utter bullsh!t. Rudolph was injured. He couldn't play... so Hodges, the 3rd string QB started.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was also pulled in another game for Hodges. We have a whole season of play to judge Rudolph on and it was awful. What you are hoping for now if he plays is that he has improved and going by some of his recent starts, it looks like he has.

I seriously doubt he has improved enough though, none of our QB’s are taking us to the SB but they need to try something.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I think the Steelers will finish 8-9. They got robbed on that blocked FG, who knows what happens after that. Even if they lose they would have likely lost at the end instead of in the 3rd quarter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben doesn't fit the system. Neither does Rudolph. Rudolph had his chance, he sucks. Haskins or Dobbs would fit, I'd go with Dobbs at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Really?!?! The only thing that is Complete utter 100% BS is your recolection. But thanks for playing. You can go back to posting strong and wrong opinions rudely to someone else. Thanks!

https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-bench-qb-mason-rudolph-for-devlin-hodges-0ap3000001079917

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...son-rudolph-benched-devlin-hodges/4291659002/

11. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The lovechild of Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Mahomes and Michael Vick wouldn't fit this system either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Haskins and Dobbs aren't NFL starting QB's. Steelers have to ride this with Ben and pray they get lucky and draft a QB in the first that is a franchise QB. Or, they need to get Aaron Rodgers in the off-season. There is no other hope in the future. If the Steelers have Denver or Chicago's bad luck with QB's, the Steelers franchise will see 1985-88 again for the next 4 seasons.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree to a point. Rudolph won't do much better than Ben behind the inexperienced O line.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn’t think there was any chance you’d defend Ben after yesterday’s game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Some people are bigger fans of certain players than they are the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He actually had time much of the game yesterday. He still made terrible decisions and missed open receivers. Don't get me wrong. The line is hampering the passing game, but Roethlisberger's play has deteriorated badly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You might have a point if throwing behind and above receivers was new to this year. However, that simply isn’t the case and hasn’t been for a few seasons now. This is no difference than the Troy situation. Easily one of my all time favorite players,but he was clearly done. I wish the front office had taken the same approach with Ben.

18. Col.SteveAustin9768

Col.SteveAustin9768 Active Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Absolutely Agree! Ben is washed. Love the guy, but he should’ve retired 2 yrs ago.

19. Col.SteveAustin9768

Col.SteveAustin9768 Active Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Yes! The running game is suffering also because Ben won’t/Can’t go under center. Yes,the OL is young and bad at the moment,but he had clean pockets yesterday to throw and you saw what happened.He relied on his Athleticism in the past and now Father Time has taken that away. It’s clear as day.

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yeah, anyone who thinks that Rudolph wasn't benched in favor of Duck back in 2019 is suffering from selective amnesia. He absolutely was.

No need to go through all the stats but IIRC he was dead last in the league in QBR for all QBs that qualified. It's not like he was unable to prove he was starting QB material, he was actually unable to prove he was NFL roster spot worthy. (Not saying he isn't, just that he was unable to prove he was when given the opportunity.)

The Steelers QB situation is brutal. It was Ben or bust We all knew that. What we didn't know was that Ben was as washed up as he apparently is. Some here thought that the end of last season was just him running out of steam coming off surgery and that with another off-season to get stronger and recover that he'd be good as new. Not quite.

21. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Play Rudolph... He looked better in preseason than most will give credit for ... It's only a matter of time before Ben gets hurt anyways & Rudolph is at least somewhat more mobile...

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  23. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    One thing that really sucks about bringing in Rudolph is the line is absolutely garbage. Young and inexperienced QBs have it rough enough. But having to run for your life on top of that doesn’t set you up for success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If Rudolph is the heir apparent then shouldn’t the team stop coddling him? There’s no perfect situation for him to start. If the line is stout and the running game is firing on all cylinders, we wouldn’t be talking about replacing Ben with Rudolph

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    yes, we would because Ben would still be playing like crap.

• Agree Agree x 1