1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Sep 29, 2021.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I really don't think so and I'm as hard on Ben as anyone out there. It was just a bad read. The Bengals showed blitz. Harris was the check down if the Bengals brought the house. When the ball was snapped, the Bengals dropped into coverage. Ben chose to just hit the check down right away and not bother reading the field. Maybe part of that was he got happy feet due to the poor Oline, but I don't see that as a good excuse at all. He has a job to do regardless of the Oline and he needs to do it, not just throw the ball immediately based on pre-snap coverage. Take half a second and read the field. If he did, he wouldn't have thrown it to Harris.

While I do believe Ben is a passive aggressive ******* who is likely butting heads with Canada, I believe that play was just a bad read and laziness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Where is the HC in all of this common denominator rocket science stuff? Spectator? If Ben is really doing what he wants and not the OC who was hired to run the offense, I blame the HC (or owner if it points to him). That seems to be the problem with accountability of who is doing what, no one knows where the buck stops. Some blame Canada, some blame Ben, some blame the OL/ WR's, some blame all of the above, I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    With do respect..., or they should Have Hired an OC that fit What they Have.
    I have Heard all My life a Coordinators job is 2 build a scheme around what they have.
    It's like for example ravens: I don’t expect their OC. 2 go 5 wide all day long and complain about He doesn't have a Qb that can stand in the pocket, and read all the keys, and Defenses. Lamar is their Qb so they design a Offensive scheme around what He can, and can't do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    My pulling-it-outta-my-butt guess is the staff knows Ben is the square peg and isn’t going to force Canada to bang him against the round hole opening.

• Like Like x 2
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

That play was never given a chance to set up. The pressure is just coming off the blindside the rest of the front knew the play. Ben commits to Harris before even letting his guys get established. If that isn't Ben blowing up the play...well then he has something screwy with his head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    The buck stops with ARII, he brought Ben back to play. Doesn't matter if Tomlin or Colbert did not want him back. I know I didn't tell my boss what to do, he made the call even if I disagreed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you were going to make Canada OC, the worst choice to implement his offense is Ben. If you wanted the Canada offense, make Ben retire, start Mason, Haskins, Elmer Fudd. Someone at least remotely interested in running his offense.

If you were going to keep Ben as QB, the worst choice for OC was Matt Canada. Keep Fichner as OC, keep the offense familiar. Let Ben do his improvisational magic. It won’t work, but if you’re keepinG Ben around, you gotta let him do what he does. He ain’t changin’ for nobody.

Stiller management tried to have it both ways and cut the baby in half. And have not much to show for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Long ways or short ways? Asking for a friend?

9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    For the record, I’m not that friend.

Allegedly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Canada deserves some heat in this struggling offense that is/isn't his, someone said it, learning experience.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He has been extremely disappointing so far. Not all his fault, but he
    has to find some way to motivate these OL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Wow! This play is getting a lot of attention on why it failed from Ben giving a big eff you to Canada and so many more but one thing I try to imagine is Ben is trying to process this in 3 seconds and maybe the pressure he got all game wore on him psychologically that he dumped off to Najee in the flat? Anyways...interesting observation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Thanks for taking the time for your take. All the vibes I get are similar to your take. Im 51 and I still get the chills when I see that clip of Art I taking that huge trophy from Rozelle. I think I was only about 7. lol

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nobody from Hogwarts was available. I don’t know how much blame Canada should be placed on Canada, but between the awful O line and the shell of Ben, he doesn’t have a lot to work with.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I believe he read Najee being his go to before the snap. Ben locks in & forgets everything else.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    If you watch the play in real time, the guy from the left was on him in 1.5 seconds.....crazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I seen where Ben is still getting the ball out on average....faster than anyone in the league...Yet He is still getting the $h!+ knocked out of Him.....Yet people with NO thought Will say (which takes longer than most downfield plays) Why is He not throwing it down the middle of the field. LoL.
    Yeah....I wonder....:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It's a witch hunt at this point. The Ben haters have their day finally I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We can't bench Ben. He gives us the best possible chance at winning a prize first round QB in the 2022 draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't agree with this but even if it's true, that's on Ben not Canada.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think that throw was on Ben.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm:hmm:
    I can show more...there are plenty more.:eek: