1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    1 step forward and 91 goes right on bye. Ben used to be able to make that step.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    This team needs a mobile QB in the worst way. If they draft another pocket passer with no athletic ability to run nothing will change.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Canada is being hamstrung by a QB who clearly is a poor fit. That said, while Big Ben is the issue, there are problems to be dealt with as well. The Offensive Line will continue to have growing pains as there simply is not enough cohesion among them to perform so well so early. That said, should the issue become more so of one.... it does not matter what Canada can call upon. Again;

Problems are shortcomings that can be resolved. Issues cannot be as their shortcomings extend for longer periods of time.

In short?

Offensive Line better step it up REAL QUICK as the issue does not appear to be any more close towards being considered to resolve any time soon.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Kevin Colbert and the Steelers Scouting Team have scouted Malik Willis and Sam Howell already. Malik is the more enticing of the two options to me but Howell is no slouch when being asked to go on the move either. Desmond Ridder and Matt Corral are two others that will likely garner the Steelers attention as the College Football Season goes by. One aspect is for certain though; Colbert and the organization are making it VERY CLEAR that a mobile QB is what is needed.

Rudolph clearly is not it and, as much as I want to believe in Haskins, any of the aforementioned QBs I had listed have upsides in Canada's Offense that Haskins could only dream of. That said though, also pay attention to this draft of Offensive Tackles. This upcoming class is very promising with talent being found at all levels. A bit more top heavy than the 2021 Class but one truly cannot have everything. For me and, dream pick? Evan Neal. If not him, Darian Kinnard is a very welcome addition who will be a fan favorite right away.

Watch some of his tape. You will love him just as much as I do.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Ridder has worked out with the QB coach who fixed Josh Allen’s mechanics he would be my first choice he has played in 39 college games and took Georgia’s defense to the wire in the peach bowl last year with less talented players on his side.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  6. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like the insight into how bad the scheme is. An analysis of the run game would probably be as revealing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly. Between the pressure & the inability of the receivers to get schemed open, Ben is making bad lemonade.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Has the thought that Canada may be an issue crossed your mind? Personally I think he's gone in the next 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You can be ready for anything when you can get pressure with 3 guys. They literally rushed 3 and still got to Ben.

Oline is everything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Watching even 7 guys drop back was gut wrenching. No respect for the run.

13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Canada has already said and its been discussed on here in many threads that he is going to do what Ben wants to do. This is not his true offense. We will never see an OC's true offense with Ben playing. Its been that way for a decade. They do what Ben wants or he throws a tantrum threating to retire like he did with Haley.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Well i think its even harder to understand today. Art is nothing like his Father or Grand Father. Honestly from what i have seen i am not that High on him. i truly think the "Steeler Way" that a lot of people are used to is gone. I believe it is a business to Art and that he does not take the personal pride in this organization that his family did before him. You can throw stability out the door. Having GM on a year to year contract does not promote stability and just my personal opinion but i think the other Rooney's would have thanked Colbert for his service but would have wanted someone with a little more long term interest.

As far as Bill parcells and Jerry jones goes, i live in Dallas. That was Jerry for a brief second giving up control. It did not last at all. It was not long before Jerry was back on the side line and getting involved (one of parcells demands was that jerry stay off the field during the games).

15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    @gerrydulac
    ·
    2h

Matt Canada's explanation about the worst fourth-and-10 call in recent memory: "We had guys in the end zone

Shots fired?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not once. Why?!

This vitriol on Canada is ridiculous to the point of absurd. It is his first season installing his Offense. As such, it is also all Steelers Offensive Players first season as well. Too much, way too much in fact, is being made about one game whereas the issue is being ignored all together.

Big Ben cannot push the ball down the field. As a result, teams stack the line to shut down the run. If not that, they take away the middle of the field. This has been going on since the loss against Washington in 2020..... and has gotten progressively worse. Compound this with an Offensive Line that, as I have stated in perpetuity, will have some growing pains and the end result is an Offense that sadly cannot get anything going.

Not even the likes of Bill Walsh himself could possibly gain much from this Offense given these factors. To expect Canada to merely wave his magic wand and somehow rejuvenate Big Ben and fix the Offensive Line is quite unfair.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'll have to disagree with both your reasoning & conclusion. The witch hunt continues.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hit disagree....which I almost never, ever use.
    One reason and one reason only.
    A Offensive Coordinators job is not 2 fit square pegs in round holes....an OC job is 2 build a Game plan around what He has. Sure is funny about how people use 2 always say that..if it fit their narrative.....Now I'm hearing....He needs a Mobile Qb this , a rocket arm that......If Ben was His Young self We Wouldn't need Canada. Any OC looks good with a Great Qb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    go watch that play again. Ben dumped the ball off before the play developed and it had nothing to do with pressure. Designed play where the receivers were blocking because of the picket fence defense? My ass. Ben is full of ****. The receivers were running routes. Ben had an open receiver in the end zone and choked. Stick a form in him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Considering they hired Canada because of his facility with motion, play action, and creating mismatches through them…why would they then expect him to scrap all that? The front office should’ve focused on acquiring players who’d fit the scheme they hired him to install.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The motion should help the most this year. This team will need a running game for Canada to succeed. He won't have enough time to acquire his pieces is my stance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I guess some will blame Canada for last year's downward trend at the end of last season too? Ben is the common denominator here folks. This ain't rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Stop trying to make sense!

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    If people really believe that fielding and installing a new Offense with new pieces should be firing on all cylinders come week 1, every team should be doing it; doubly so of ones that have struggled so much. Here in lies the problem, not that simple a task.... at all. Example?!

Look how long it took Bill's Offensive Coordinator Brian Dabol to unlock the Bills explosive Offense. Yes, Josh Allen was not the issue at the time but, coming out of Wyoming, his accuracy was. Fast forward to today and the amount of time and effort to not just install but also enhance that Offense has taken leaps and bounds; so much so that Josh Allen is capable of putting up massive amounts of points on the board at will.

Again, Matt Canada is not infallible of criticism here. However, giving up on him after essentially two teams is about as hasty a reaction as one can possibly have. In short?!?!

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    If Canada is stepping out of Ben's way, it's Tomlinism 101 folks.

• Like Like x 1