1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Yinz of lil faith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by numbah58, Sep 28, 2021.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's been a minute since I've created a thread so bear with me. I understand the doom and gloom over the last 2 games. However, may I remind you that the Steelers have started a season far worse with a much more limited (in talent) QB. Save the we had a running game, Merril Hoge although a personal favorite, wouldn't have started for more than half of the teams at the time.

We did have a good O-line back then but we invested two draft picks this offseason and have hardly given this O-line time to get their feet wet. We also selected what's thought to be the premier RB in this draft. We have a formidable, if not, dominant Defense this year as we did back then.

The year is 1989 and the Steelers have just been beaten 51-0 at home by the Browns, followed by a 41-10 throttling by the Bengals. They came together as a football team and finished 3rd in the division and attained a wildcard spot, eventually beating the Oilers and losing to the Broncos in the divisional round.

My point is that regardless how everyone is feeling at the moment, take a deep breath. The season is long, the O-line and RB are new, the QB is old and the Defense is injured. However, weirder things have happened than an O-line coming together, a RB getting his wheels, a Defense getting healthy and a QB getting a second wind in his last season.

Hammer away!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Eh… I really don’t want to go 8-8-1 and one and done lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Who's the QB in this draft that you want? I'm assuming that you'd rather go 2-15 etc and have a high pick for a QB.

• Like Like x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    This upcoming draft isn't really QB heavy, so not really sure who anybody would want. There seems to be interest in Sam Howell, Matt Correl and Spencer Rattler. But, so much happens between now and then.

Nice part is a lot of bad teams took QBs this past draft.

Jags, Jets, won't be drafting a QB.

Texans more than likely will be. They have no choice but to move on from Watson. I don't think Davis Mills is their future guy, an Tyrod Taylor sure isn't

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I don’t want to tank obviously, I want this team to show promise with loss and growth with the O line. I want best player available and more O line in the draft. May go Rodgers or someone for the sweepstakes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, to me the QB pool is short and lacks ceiling.

7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That final game of the season that year is when I became a football fan. 7 year old me in awe of the game. I remember my parents and such watching games before that one, but I was just too young to give AF.

As for the comparisons, I guess some of it can be paralleled. I never have faith. Football isn't some religion for me. I will cheer them on, win or lose. The realist in me just doesn't see this OLine gelling in time to save the season. Plus the game back then was far more run oriented. Whilst there are potential similarities, the stage isn't exactly decorated the same.

• Like Like x 1
  8. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with this approach regardless of the season outcome. Add talent, keep that winning attitude and finish strong. Winning is a mentality.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup. I think Ben is just collecting a paycheck and going through the motions. Tomlin isn’t bad but it’s kinda the same crap on repeat, and I truly believe he spends more time on his wordisms than gameplanning lol.

10. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Those wordisms are muscle memory by now. :roflmao:

11. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Last two games, did you miss the last 6 from last year?
    The offense haven't been playing varsity ball for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I didn't miss the games. I don't count last year as anything. We have a new OC, a new O-line and a new RB. I'm willing to give them some time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I like this defense. Tomlin has had his run with the Steelers imo. Ben, thanks for the memories.

Edit: Mikey, thank you also. :smiley1:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Ben is done, Ben has been done, His ego is holding this team hostage and has been for half a decade at this point. He had amazing raw talent when he was younger but has a piss poor work ethic and a huge ego drowning in narcissism. I learned alot about this guy on a work trip recently that took me to his home town. I couldn't find a single person that thought highly of this guy except for his football talents. It was universally known all around town that he was a douchebag with talent and terrible work ethic with serious moral issues and basically more interested in Fame than anything else and had an arrogance to him most of his life that he thought he was better than everyone else.

I have been a huge fan of his as our QB. Those talents and those days are long gone. And when you are a Narcissist you don't just change that behaviour. They change the narrative to continue to fool people. People just choose to believe he's this good guy with a work ethic and morals and turned everything around cause they want our team to do well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    When teams figured out Ben AND they still didn’t adjust… I knew it’s because he couldn’t

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    He'll fight until he can't get up. Out of Bullets...lol

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Why Not??? This way we can continue to hear…..” Tomlin is great, never had a losing season!!!”…..

Cajun

18. Dogman

Dogman Member

Aug 16, 2021
    I can't speak for you guys, but I am too darn old to go thru another 1980's type scenario. Ben was great for many years, no doubt a first round HOFer, but that ship has sailed. He is nearly totally immobile, is making poor decisions and his arm is a shadow of its former self. However, his play is not the only dark spot. This new line is awful and I don't want to hear they are young and inexperienced. Those guys haven't been plucked out of the school drum line and put on an offensive line, they have been playing those positions for years, many against top notch college players who are also now in the NFL. To have no clue how to either run or pass block is inexcusable. I feel sorry for Najee having to live behind those traffic cones. I think it is time to at least try something different, they may suck, but they suck now and it isn't going to get better without effort.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My concern is that the offense can't become something as long as Tomlin believes the Ben is the best option even when hurt. I said something similar on Sunday when they essentially had Highsmith and Watt out because of soft tissue injuries and an abundance of caution but there was never a doubt about playing Ben when he got roughed up. Some were claiming replacing won't make the offense better That hasn't been determined yet. Can opposing teams still pin their ears back and blitz Mason and Haskins? Sure but they can also hit those seam routes to the TE that will back teams off that pressure. They can hit guys instride and make a big play. They can get under center and cause some doubt in the offense. The shotgun spread formation that is Ben's only club in his bag currently doesn't fool anyone.

20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I agree with the OP. It looks bleak, but not entirely hopeless.

The team went all-in to have the defense carry them, only to have 5 starters out the second game, and both starting OLB out the third game. (Guessing that Bush and Haden weren't 100% recovered from their injuries either.)
    If they can just get the starters (Tuitt too, since Alualu is out) back out on the field, we might see more games like vs. the Bills.

Who thought that KC would already be 2 games behind 2 of their division rivals so early in the season?

I remember watching the Bills-Oilers WC game for the 1992 season. My dad said the game was over at the half, when the Bills were down 28-3. While I agreed that was very likely, I said there was still a half of football to go. (I was as shocked as anyone when that remote chance of a comeback actually happened, especially when they were down 35-3 early in the third quarter.)

21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Has anyone seen the video of Bens middle screen pass to Watt where he literally collapses to the ground while throwing for no reason. Wow :facepalm:

22. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Great post. I needed to hear something positive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It's a 7 iron, & I don't think Ben is done yet. So far for the worse.

• Like Like x 1