1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Cheerleader Tomlin EVER been a "good" head coach? I say no ..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Burgettstown Bob, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Burgettstown Bob

Burgettstown Bob Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    Has Cheerleader Tomlin EVER been a "good" head coach? I say no .. Early on, he inherited Cowher's team which lead to playoff appearances and the SB victory. Mid career, he had the "killer B's", but couldn't achieve more than 1 and done in most playoffs. Now we're in the noodle-arm Roethlisberger era, and here he is saying that we ran out of plays AND doesn't even have the b@!!$ to bench a QB that should have been fired 5 years ago! During his entire career, his play-calling, clock management, and control over the locker room have been atrocious!

Can any of you point to a specific era where you thought s%@! for brains Tomlin was a "good" head coach?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    2019 was his best coaching job with Duck and Mason. Although as I’ve posted elsewhere they had the easiest schedule in NFL history. Best win was vs like a 9-7 rams team every other team they beat was under 500

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been very vocal for about 10 years now saying that Tomlin was a very poor coach. I believe he's been propped up by very good teams for most of his coaching career. I really can't think of a single thing he does well other than become friends with the players.

I'm not a fan and haven't been for a very, very long time.

4. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    Right. As you mentioned, they had a very easy schedule in 2019. When you couple that with the old adage, "even a broken clock is right at least once a day", there you have it.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Burger boy with another groundbreaking thread. 0-5

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    I have your <edit>

Mod Edit: How old are you?

7. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It should've been apparent after the Tebow game that he wasn't a good coach, but most people have the perception of a koala

8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Using the "you can only play your schedule" argument, of course, he's a good coach. You don't go to two Super Bowls, win one, go to the playoffs as often as he has, and win as consistently as has over 15 years without being a "good" coach. Maybe even a very good coach.

He may not be as good as we, as fans, think he should be, but let's be honest, except for Belichick, who has outperformed him during the last 15 years? Carroll, Peyton, Reid, all about even, but they haven't demonstrably been better. Hell, I'd say Carroll has been worse considering he's had Russell Wilson, but that's JMO.

And the whole "he only won because"...Cowher's players, HoF QB, Colbert, etc. etc. is basically looking for reasons/excuses as to why he's a bad coach. It's the same as dropped balls, bad line, bad OC, as reasons/excuses of why Ben isn't crap. It's all trying to deny the objectively obvious.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    NO...Players like him because he's " cool/ Buddies/ runs a country club "...

That is his ONLY positive Coaching trait, He sucks at everything else!

• Like Like x 1
  10. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011

There's a reason he hasn't done much since LeBeau and Arians left/were let go.

Deliberately ignoring all the reasons for his success makes you look ridiculous. He's had everything around him in place to win and he's failed, often times embarrassingly.

Get off his jock.

11. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    Is it fair to assume that we have Cheerleader Tomlin posting under an alias?

You say "of course $*t for brains Tomlin is good" but you never actually quantified how or why? We went to SBs because he had Cowher's team, or at the very least, had good players / coordinators that earned the right to be there. What "specifically" did HE do that we can credit him for being there? (no generalities, please). Let's be specific. I remember Tomlin losing to a lot of the worst teams in the NFL over the past decade plus. Who are we crediting for that? What about the out-of-control locker rooms? The clock management blunders, etc.? Are these qualities of a good coach, or just an incompetent jack@$$ getting lucky?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’ll let her know.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    Someone who exercises strong decision making, leadership, play-calling, has the respect of the team. One whose actions can elevate the team when needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    Doesn't exactly reek of Cheerleader Tomlin, does it?

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    White Castle?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Good grief, SB appearances and championships, wins, playoff appearances aren't quantifiable or specific enough?

You can look them up and compare to others yourself but hey, try these:

1. Two SB appearances and one championship. Thpse numbers are eclipsed by only one active coach.
    2. Winning %. Second highest amongst active coaches with at least 100 games. Topped by you know who.
    3. 7 division titles. Third highest. Topped only by you know who and Reid.
    4. Conference championship appearances. Topped only by the same two.

And you did exactly what I said in terms of excuses/reasons: Cowher's team, assistant coaches, etc. What HC wins with crappy assistants? And how exactly do you quantify the quality of the assistants or the value of Cowher's players when Cowher went 6-10 with them the year before?

Let me add: Adam Gase is a bad coach. Richie Kotite was a bad coach. Matt Patricia is a bad coach. Say what you will, but Tomlin is nowhere in that territory.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you have taken to quoting your own posts?

I propose that nobody respond to the next thread you start about Tomlin, which should be a in a day or two at the most. We can then just watch you have a conversation with yourself.

The ignorance on this thread, starting with the OP, is entertaining in the sense that we can laugh at it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Gase, Kotite, and Patricia were handed ****ty teams in ****ty organizations, Tomlin was handed a Super Bowl team with a young future HOF QB, legendary ownership, a HOF GM, and top notch assistant coaches. They are simply not comparable.

The real question is: why despite having elite talent the past decade, has Tomlin won nothing? Why has he embarrassed himself in the playoffs repeatedly? Why do his teams routinely come out flat and unprepared? Why does he seem to have no grasp of game management? Why does he never take responsibility for his team's failures?

Because he's a complete charlatan.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Tomlin is a good coach and most likely will be in the HOF. Has he underperformed? In my opinion YES. He would have a job tomorrow if he left. However with that being said they should part ways after this season. I’d like to see a whole new regime in here. Sometimes change is necessary

21. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd hope for him to get another HC job immediately. Then we can all watch him bomb spectacularly, putting all this crap to rest

22. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    He won early with Cowhers players and is no where close to evaluating talent like Bill. And he can’t fire up his guys or coach them up like him either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    Hey Formerstooge - Any reason why you are relegated to trolling a thread (and poorly) instead of actually contributing to it? My guess it has to do with lack of education, but just the same, I suggested that Cheerleader Tomlin has never been a good coach and asked if anyone could point to a specific time that he was good. Despite your obvious lack of intelligence, can you point to a time that $h@! for brains Tomlin was good, or is "hey let's laugh at the OP" about all you got, sis?

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here’s the problem burger flipper. We’ve already heard all this like 1000 times over. You’re late to the party. Got any fresh material are you just gonna regurgitate the same threads that have been posted around here for last 10 years?

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Burgettstown Bob

Sep 20, 2021
    Why would fresh material be warranted or relevant when Cheerleader Tomlin and Noodle Arm Ben have given us anything but? Once either one of them starts doing something good or productive, we can talk about that then. Make sense there, slick?

Probably not. Derrrrrrrrr