1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of on-field leadership

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Another area of concern with the offense is a lack of veteran leadership. I think I heard on the Sunday broadcast our receiving core is the youngest in the league (Juju is the old guy). Rookie RB, Rookie TE (I don't count Ebron anymore), new O-line. Derek Watt is almost a veteran, but is hardly on the field. The only veteran I can recall is Ben, and he probably doesn't command respect anymore. Which player is going to have the clout to fire people up and call them out?

I guess the bright side is maybe with a young team, the next few years won't be as bad as we think as they grow into their careers. I hear people say we need to rebuild, and it looks like we have, except for one position.

• Like Like x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Maybe Trai Turner? Maybe he can be like Ike Turner and just hit someone.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Need to rebuild the Coaching staff. Its seriously time for Tomlin to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    When a team lacks leaders on the field they need the coaches to fill that void. Good coaches are good leaders. That's the only reason Tomlin was hired no? He was perceived as a good leader. That's clearly not the case because his teams have quit on him. 1-5 to finish last year. 1-2 now and players are quitting on routes, dropping balls - STILL, committing horrible penalties. Good leaders do not let their players go into battle unprepared. Some on the O-line were not ready for this and they stuck them into it anyway.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    1-6 to finish the season? You're going to need to explain that.

6. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Correction ... 1 and 5. We finished 2020 going 1 - 5 over the last 6 games. Started this season 1-2 after losing to a really bad Bengals team and a mediocre Raiders team.

7. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I think it's worth adding not all losses are the same. The style in which we have been losing is really the crazy part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ok. I was doing the math and thinking something wasn't right.

9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Too true. If we were 1 - 2 this year and finished 1 - 5 last year, but the team was performing differently, the discussion would be quite different. It is hardly about W/L record, but much more about how the team has played - sloppy, poor game plans, poor execution, lack of passion, lack of creativity, and some lack of talent. Tough to know what happens all week in practice, but game day evidence is pretty disappointing in so many respects, and lack of visible leadership is just one contributing factor.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Lack of veteran leadership on the offensive line is almost certainly an issue and I have highlighted this as a potential issue going back a while. OLine play is all about familiarity, consistency and execution. The guys out there have so little experience

They were presumably counting on having Decastro and Banner to start on the right side but it hasn’t worked out and the line has been a complete disaster and there is no veteran presence there to steady the ship.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Raiders are 3-0, they might be better than the Steelers, so I wouldn't say they're mediocre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, if only they had a veteran QB or something...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Why do you want to kick yourself out lol

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Ben was never really an on field leader of the team. It's been a well known criticism of him his entire career.