1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Sep 28, 2021.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Blast said bench Ben. I totally agree that his play warrants that, and totally floored he even suggested that!!!

Here’s my position. The Steelers went All in with Ben this year. No way you end it this early. This is what he wanted! He has held this org hostage in the past and has pushed his demands from his money grab to who he wanted personnel wise on the field AND on the coaching staff!!! He wanted this last ride, the Team gave it to him, so he needs to Ride it until it’s Totally dead or he’s knocked out.

Once it has become official we’re out of the playoffs Then play Mason.

At seasons end Fire Canaday, Clemons and put Tomlin on notice!

Cajun

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    From a franchise standpoint, that makes sense. From a fan's perspective, I just want them to win. The Cincy game was downright painful to watch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why are people so persistent on wanting Canada fired already? I highly doubt we're seeing his offence. He's stuck with Ben whether he likes it or not. Tomlin would never bench Ben, even if he was allowed to, which I'm not convinced he is.

Why not give Canada a few years to really establish the system he wants, then we'll know what we have in him. Right now people want to fire a guy who hasn't been given the authority to do what he was brought in to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Idk, if he doesn't take authority he looks bad from the get go. Haley wasn't scared of Ben or Tomlin. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Your not going to have to worry, the way he is playing and the way the line is, he's going to get hurt.

3 weeks in, we have a hurt pec, and now he is grabbing his arm so something hurts there.

It's only going to be a matter of time before Mason comes in because, this line can't protect him at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Canada's system, involves, motion, roll outs, a more mobile QB, getting under center, more often than a lunar eclipse.

What part of that system with a bad line, and 39 year old QB could go wrong?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The line is terrible but when they do actually block and give him time he's double clutching. He's not seeing the field at all. He threw the ball right to that Bengals LB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah that was really bad. Plus he had Claypool for an easy touchdown down the post of the seam, and threw it totally off.

His reads are mess, but it could be from fear of getting nailed.

9. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Canada even said that we are going to do what Ben wants to do. Which if you have watched Ben's career then you know that was going to be true regardless of who the OC was. The Dumbest thing about hiring Canada (unless it's for the future) was that you hired a guy who's whole offensive ideology revolves around exactly what Ben cant and or won't do. More major ineptness of Tomlin's coaching hiring.

10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Besides his physical breakdown he is also mentally not processing the game fast enough anymore either. He wanted a final ride and he better buckle up because this is a horrible end to a great career

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I said in many posts before the season that people are nuts thinking Ben will succeed in an under center motion running offense. He is the exact opposite of the QB who makes that successful.

12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    They are not benching Ben he will have to get injured which could happen any moment. He can’t escape the rush and this OLine is horrendous. Any moment we will witness his last play and then it’s Mason time.

13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I am really struggling to see the positives Ben is offering right now. You'd hope that with a QB with as much experience he has that once his physical tools diminished he could compensate mentally but I am not seeing it. He doesn't get us into the right plays and he clearly isn't reading the field well at all. Add that to his lack of mobility and his clearly diminished arm and I just don't see what he brings to the table to help make up for the offensive shortcomings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Ben has never been a student of the Game. He is the typical NFL player that got by on his talent and strengths while putting in as little work as possible. Thats why we had backyard football style offense for so long. It worked for a while and could be highly entertaining at times. Now that he is older and all those talents are gone or fading this is what we got. Not to mention the injury that would derail most QB's careers that he tried to pawn off to this fanbase as coming back stronger and better than ever. Ben is clinging to the last shreds of his career cause he doesn't know what he is going to do after its over. AS i have said before i would bet my bottom dollar that he can't let go cause at his core Ben is a narcissist and is most likely scared to death of losing his limelight and lifestyle. Lets face it he isnt going to be a broadcaster.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Or a coach.

16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I refuse to believe that because he's taken the biggest hits holding onto the ball too long. I just don't get it. We're 4-5 wide almost every play. 2-3 of them are running 3-5 yard routes then somebody deep. If you got one on one deep just throw it up. Find it hard to believe the 2-3 receivers running the short routes are perfectly covered every play. Ben just has 0 confidence and not seeing the field/defense at all.

It's so infuriating because then our defense falls back in zone and lets less talented QBs pick us apart all day with the short routes. Ben and co would have a field day with our defense. It's like we created an offense to beat our defense but the problem is very few teams still run our outdated style of defense anymore.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There were two other Bengals behind that invisible LB, either one could have made the pick. That was a throw a rookie makes, then gets sat down for a talking to.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not about being scared. Perhaps Ben can't run the offence Canada wants, or perhaps Ben simply won't and is being allowed to make that call by Tomlin. Canada isn't the big boss. Tomlin has always catered to Ben, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's happening again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they are trying to run what works with Ben. Ben takes the heat for stinking it up as he should.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Problem is it's not working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

I heard this and totally agree….. Ben is going to keep playing until he just hurts too much and with a losing record, recognizing for the first time, the season is lost for all practical reasons he’s going to be injuryed and placed on IR and slide into the sunset as a warrior who gave his all.

That way it won’t look like he just gave up and quit…..

Cajun

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

There are none if you’re referring to the success and playoff ouch is the Steelers, BUT, since Ben has been instrumental in the teams success and SB wins over the last decade and a half then the owners feel they need to continue to massage his ego and let him go out his way, as diluted as it is!!!

Cajun

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Think about this ….. you have a totally immobile old QB behind a totally rebuilt OL with two rookies and a 1st year guy that has been horrible the first two games and you still call 58 passing plays!!!! Your QB is getting killed and you aren’t adjusting. Play 2 TE and a FB and run the ball some. Create some pass plays out of that formation.

It also seems his knowledge of professional situational football is lacking.

Your scheme MUST fit your Talent.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, but as I said already, Tomlin has always catered to Ben. Ben has always gotten his way. So it wouldn't surprise if a lot of what we are seeing is because of Ben. I have to believe that if a different QB was in there, that our offence would look completely different. I'm not saying we would score more points, I don't know that obviously, but I believe it would be very different.

25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Possibly, by mid-season we’ll find out when Ben decides to go on IR and Mason takes over !!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1