1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 26, 2021.

1. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    And maybe they will run something that resembles an actual offense and not throw 58 times at 5.5 YPA.

2. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

So another QB will all of a sudden have more time to go through all their reads and make a good throw and the receivers would run the right route and will guarantee catch it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So, we shouldn’t try to improve any positions then? Just say screw it? Go home? Because no team has ever won with inferior line play?

Come on man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011

What I’m saying it isnt just one position that is gonna fix all that is wrong with us. But everyone sure thinks it will.

let’s put Rudolph in there against Green Bay and when the same thing happens to him will Rudolph be blamed?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JoshAllen

JoshAllen Member

Dec 21, 2020
    It's tough to see the end of the line for a legendary player, especially QB. I remember the last days of the Kelly ERA in Buffalo, you could see the decline, but was still sad when he finally hung them up. Little did we know it would be 20+ years of crap before another good QB came along. IMHO, the Steelers need a reboot & rebuild, but I think that requires a new coaching staff too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Can’t just keep doing the same thing though.

It’s also about next year, while I think it’s very unlikely that either of Rudolph and Haskins are the answer moving forward, they need to rule that out before heading into next season. I’d hate for them not to draft a QB because they still believe in one of those guys and then fall on their face and lose next season as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He was 3-10 with the Redskins and threw for almost 1500 yards in both seasons playing half the games. You don't think that could drastically improve on a better team? McLaurin is better than any WR on this current team but we have the better WR group. RB. Problem is now the o-line is a **** show. I think a somewhat mobile QB would help them though. Ben can't run, throw over the middle of the field, and or deep.

Ben will never get benched. At some point it will be an "injury" I honestly don't care noodle arm Rudolph can get the 1st game. But I'd like to see what Haskins and Dobbs have in regular season games before next year.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Sorry about the "duh' remark but I was fuming after the game. I don't want to keep rolling Ben anywhere close to where there are white lines on a green background. I don't know what the team should do> Mason, get L Jones back, someone, anyone, Duck, Batch etc etc. Frustrating that we are in this predicament via conscience decisions made by the organization and seeing how its working out. Maybe we'll play better next week since we'll definitely be underdogs and seem to play better in that role.

9. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    I definitely agree on needing to draft a new QB for next year and despite the losses right now with Ben in, I think he will benefit the offensive line in the long run. Once the offensive line has more games under there belt and the defense can get healthy I can see different outcomes.

hate to say it but our losses fall on the injuries to our defense, had the game against Raiders until Watt went out and Carr went haywire on us. And yesterday we had no QB pressure at all, absolutely none.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    For this game.
    Don’t need anyone not 100% for this NFC matchup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not taking it for granted that they’ll draft a QB next year. The OLine urgently needs attention and they lack depth everywhere.

Obviously if the right QB falls in to their lap they have to take them, but the right guy has to be there and that is a long way from a given. There will be vets like Jimmy G and Brissett available cheaply that can act as placeholders if needs be. They have to get better on that OLine before you could put a rookie QB in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s ok, I think we were all running hot yesterday and I agree, the organization really botched this, very frustrating especially seeing how good the defense can be when healthy.

13. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    They need to stop thinking that they are going to compete for anything this year and just commit to putting in place an offense with an actual identity for next year. If Ben can try to do that then go ahead and stick with him but if he can't then go with one of the other guys. Build everything around Najee. Enough with thinking Ben can throw us out of trouble. It is beyond obvious that he cannot at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    His presence in the lineup limits the playbook. That was worth it early last season because he was at least making plays. Now, he simply can't make the throws he needs to make and he's making huge, inexcusable mistakes. If nothing else, intermediate and deep passes over the middle have to be an option. With Roethlisberger at quarterback, they are not.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think that's going to fix everything. I don't think anybody is suggesting that. What people do see is that Roethlisberger no longer makes enough plays to compensate for the limitations that he brings to the offense.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I get that the rest of the offense is also a total mess but I don't understand how people can not see that Ben is washed up. On the occasions where he has time it is clear that he does not trust himself to make the throws he used to make routinely. I am not sure that either of the other two guys would actually be better with this train wreck of an offense but maybe we would at least not throw 58 times if one of them started.

17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Should be pretty easy this week to just point to a body part and say Ben is Out this week!

We just need the defense to play Honest; right now with Ben defenses do not need their safety's to guard the middle of the field because Ben never throws there. Bringing in MAson at QB should at least push the safety's back from the line of scrimmage because he will throw to the middle of the field; or at least attempt too.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Food for thought Joe Burrows in his 2nd year without a legit star receiver(yet) no threat at TE and with an above average but used hard running back was able to move the length of the field and score a td in under a minute.

Ben was unable to work the sideline and move quickly with 10 minutes left in the game and certainly couldn't with 40 sec left and needing 8 yards.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    One of the first sacks he took Harris faked a block got through the line and two yards past it, turned and sat down in his route. Ben looked right at him didn't throw it starts scrambling try to buy time and takes the sack. Maybe Harris gets tackled immediately maybe he gets 2 more yards but you take the play. Everyone one will say the oline collapsed and the receivers can't get separation but Ben screwed up on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/09/b...de-when-you-play-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers/

This upsets me because if he wants to talk about pride and not quitting then either go all in and do what is asked of you or pull yourself out for the good of the team.

For the record my personal belief is that he isn't happy about his offense being changed. Kinda of strange how the no huddle seems to the catalyst for moving the football when Ben can pick his plays.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Last year Ben got the ball out of his hand quickly and got 6.3 yards per pass. This year, he’s holding on to the ball, taking the sacks and is getting 6.2 yards per pass. He’s either refusing to throw long or simply cannot on a consistent basis

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed.
    Yeah I guess we are the only ones.
    I watch a Team that as soon as We've gotten within 2 points , or Tied the game in the last 2 games...the Defense gives up a Long TD. I watched a team that didn't hit the opponent Qb one time the whole game. A team that's Qb has 2 get the ball out faster than any Qb in the league.. A team that's Rb gets Hit behind the line More than any Team, or one that had more than multiple drops by Recievers....Yet the 1st thing I think is change the Qb. LoL. I want 2 say Casual fans, but I know some are not so...:shrug:

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If , and, or When We have a forsure Losing season....then , and only then Give all the Back ups a shot, but until then , or our other problems are not fixed its a waste.

25. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Exactly what I see as well. I think he knows that he can't make the long throws, or even the mid-range passes. And so do the coaches. The dink-and-dunk offense worked great the first half of the season last year... then the defensive coordinators caught up to it, and the rest is history. No defense fears the long ball, so they just load up the box waiting for a short slant, screen, dump off, etc hence part of the reason we can't get a rushing attack going.

Tomlin, Canada, Ben either won't adjust, or probably can't because Ben simply cannot make the throws anymore. This is where a quarterback change would help despite some who say it won't. It sure a hell isn't a fix-all, but I believe it would help open things up for Harris at least a little bit (bad run-blocking notwithstanding).