1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers lack a true #1 WR

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    We have 3 decent #2 or #3 WRs, imo. JuJu is a very good #2. So is Johnson. Claypool is a very good #3 WR.

But we lack a true #1 WR...a guy like Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Kupp, or Cooks. The last time we had a true #1 was when Antonio Brown still wore the black and gold.

It's not priority #1 for this offense, or even priority #3 but I think Steelers fans massively overrate our WR talent as whole.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    What you didn't like it when Johnson quit on the route that led to an easy INT? Or was that Washington? I can't recall which but it was bad. IMO we just don't have a WR to stretch the field. We try to use Claypools size on those jump balls but he does not have elite ball skills. He's not bad but he's not going to win every jump ball battle with smaller corners. Juju makes yards after the catch. I think he's good WR for the tough yards. No one seems to do much after the catch. Washington and Johnson show flashes but are consistently inconsistent and at least once a game they make mental errors that cost us.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We suck

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thus I do agree with. We have a bunch of number 2s. Doesn't mean one won't separate from the pack and become a number 1. Ab was not a number 1 when he first got here. I remember a bunch of people at the Very beginning thinking E. Sanders was better, but Ab. Worked hard at it, and was with Ben in Ben's prime.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Don't forget to take your paper bag head to the Bungles game. Be sure to write WE SUCK across the top of it.

Never seen so many the Sky is falling people so early in a season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DJ is tied for 10th in receptions through 2 games, tied with Hill, more than Diggs, more than D-Hop, more than Godwin, Allen, Lockett, Ridley.

Last year he was 12th while missing games.

He gets open with ease, brimming with talent, what he lacks is a QB. Claypool could be a #1 but all they do is send him deep. No crossing routes to capitalize on his speed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That game stunk yesterday, but it was only the second game of the season long way to go. We can get back on track starting this Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

You have to know that's total and complete BS right? You honestly think Claypool is only given deep routes? If he's so fast and big then he'd be wide open on those at least...NO? We have no running game and the yards per completion is a joke. He has to pass to someone.

9. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

I can't argue with this actually. Tomlin has consistently been really bad against lesser teams... I do not think this is a good Raiders team. They're not terrible but I think their defense is terrible. They'll be lucky to win 9 games. We have had stinkers like this under Tomlin more times than I can count. What does scare me are the injuries on defense. The offense has to score 30 points per game if Watt, Bush, and Haden are out for any length of time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because on crossing routes his big a$$ gets hit and he drops passes. LoL ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok Mr Literal but he’s not being used properly and if you can’t recognize the talent he has I don’t know what to tell you.

Yards per completion is a joke because thats all ben can throw. Get real.

12. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    You can open things up in the running game and wr's really quickly if we just start making Pat Freiermuth the primary target. Maybe it doesn't work but if it does defenses will have to get a safety on him. That will create 1 on 1 matchups for 1 or 2 WR's immediately . Pat seems to have the size and hands to be a primary ball catching TE. Not sure how good he is at routes but at this point what do we have to lose?

I also think using Harris as a pass catcher would make things a little easier on the offense. Wouldn't this cause defenses to put a LB or safety on Harris if he starts becoming a pass catching threat? If Pat can dominate the middle of the field , Harris would also force tighter coverage at the los ... wouldn't that also make things easier for the WR's ? Or it forces teams into a zone? I'm not a DC but I think we have options to fix the offense .... OR at least things worth trying. So far what I've seen from Harris and Pat catching the ball has all be impressive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    He's had plenty of opportunities. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. I agree 100% I think he has talent but he's not been consistent and he's not lived up to the flashes of talent that he has shown. Great WR's do not hide their talent because a QB isn't throwing lazer beams to their hands every play. Obviously Ben is not in his prime but it's a team sport. Claypool is still young I fully expect him to develop into a great WR but he's not there yet. Ben and the WR's need time and space to do their thing. Just like the running game ...they both feed off of each other. If nothing else is working how can you expect Ben to just be feeding claypool the ball. And if Claypool was Calvin Johnson we would all know it by looking at his stats and the score board.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

It’s not ridiculous, where are the seam routes? Or Muth? You even mentioned him.

This team is entirely too easy to defend and it’s mostly because of Ben.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    So Ben writes the play book and calls the plays now? I get it. What does Matt Canada and Mike Tomlin do?

BTW I think I count 13 or 14 pass attempts past 10+ yards. How many plays were broken up by pressure or not having a WR open?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    This graphic is damning. Teams can stack the box because 95% of passes are -5 to 5 yards from the LOS. Ben hurls 4-6 deep bombs a game and maybe 1 or 2 of those actually get caught. This team is easy to defend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Claypool has to win more of the 50/50 balls because that is all he is going to see in this offense. If what we are seeing is by the design of Canada and not due to Ben's limitations then Canada needs to go the way of Fichtner pronto.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you kidding me? If they are being run, Ben CAN’T hit them or if they aren’t being run it’s because ben CAN’T hit them.

FFS can it be anymore obvious that Ben is done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I see. The 27 passes he did complete were just luck? Does he share in the blame ? Obviously. But to say its all his fault and the WR's he has are awesome is ridiculous.

I personally put most of he blame on the coaching staff. If you all haven't learned the NFL is a coaches league then you aint paying attention. Ben is trying to run the plays that they work on in practice. If the players can't execute them why? How many pass attempts does Ben have A: enough time to step into this throws? B: WR's in the right place at the right time? C: WR's that actually are open? AND D: Recievers that actually catch the ball? After you answer that you can fairly ask how many balls did Ben throw accurately? How many open WR's did he miss after being able to go through his progressions that the offense has been working on since last season?

Some how Bruce Arians and several other OC's managed to rack up points with Ben ... at least until we lost our WR's and Bell.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I find it funny all the people that argued that Qbs Don't make Wrs....are now saying our Wrs aren't any good because Ben sucks. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. I also went back , and watched every pass play by both teams. I did not see one catch by the Steelers I said ...Wow what a catch. I did however see 3 by the raiders that I did say.. wow ...what a catch, and one I still don't even know how He caught it.
    People can laugh all they want. Go back and watch, or better yet ....just complain. LoL

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Number one Wr won't fix what ails the QB position. It's been this way for years.

The main issue is that the Steelers can't remain healthy enough defensively or make enough plays defensively to cover for inconsistent Ben tonei

The book has been out on Ben for years. I would break it down but it's pointless.

23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Number one Wr won't fix what ails the QB position. It's been this way for years.

The main issue is that the Steelers can't remain healthy enough defensively or make enough plays defensively to cover for inconsistent Ben to win another championship.

The book has been out on Ben for years. I would break it down but it's pointless.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    When they had the best WR in the game a true #1 WR in AB they didn't win anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is there a point here?