1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where the heck were the fans today?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 19, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That stadium was empty to start the 3rd quarter.
    That’s a huge advantage for the opposing team when they have the ball to start the second half. They never have to worry about crowd noise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I said this in the GD thread. Heinz field has a big problem with concession stand staffing. Most of them were probably standing in line for their overpriced hot dog and beer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was at a Steelers/Patriots game a few years ago. After the half, Patriots got the ball first.

All the fans left for halftime and the Patriots scored a quick TD with an empty stadium.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bills stadium wasn’t empty to start the second half. It’s embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    injured. had to sit out a year and didn't practice.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I did not like the look of that for sure. You are going to have to scream extra loud at the Bengals game.

7. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    It’s been that way for years, bathroom breaks, concessions, leave early, standing on the end ramps, who really knows….

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It was hot as ten hells out in that Sun yesterday.

Saw several fans hooked up to IV's due to heat exhaustion, the paramedics were very busy yesterday.

Luckily my seats are in the shade. But, a friend of ours was in the Sun said she downed 4 bottles of water.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You can bet your ass I’ll be in my seat at kickoff and to start the third quarter. I won’t be leaving early either.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly what was happening.

When the National anthem played the stadium was pretty full and the empty seats where people stuck outside still trying to get in past the new ticket method.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are also not vendors coming around during the game because of covid. you have to go stand in line if you want anything.:cool:

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure if you guys have exprienced it in more dense urban areas but things around here are still struggling. Had the both and Arby's and Taco Johns(northern equivalent to Taco Bell) both closed before dinner rush hit because of staffing issues. Other places are knocking 3 hours off their hours of operation. We aren't out of the woods yet

13. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    The concession stand lines are horrible and long. Has to be a staffing issue for sure.

They are so bad its hard to even move through the concourses they are so long.

Luckily, I never eat in the game, we tailgate in the parking lot, the Mrs. usually brings in 4 bottles on water in her clear plastic purse.

I was really glad she did yesterday.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    People don't realize these September and early October games are HOT if the sun is out. It can be chilly outside the stadium but if your seat is in the sun you're going to be baking.

I was actually surprised by the turn out to start the game. Looked packed and the fans were loud. Usually it's the other way around for 1pm games. I didn't notice the huge drop off in the 2nd half but definitely the weather imo. Concessions and bathrooms have always sucked. Never been a fan of 1pm games.

Also, why did they play Renegade with 11 minutes left?

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The heat didn't bother the Bills fans?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Damn I knew that's why they lost...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Franco

Franco Active Member

Sep 19, 2019
    I was thinking same thing I’m sure the players were hot too . Buffalo fans were so loud week before players feed off of the energy in the crowd I noticed kickoff and start of 3 rd quarter not a lot of people in the crowd

18. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Renegade needs retired. It hasn't worked since Obama was president.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Stadium design and location? Also, cooler in Buffalo. They were showing fans before the game hunched over and with terrible towels on their heads. A lot of casuals showed up because of the hype and first sporting event for a lot in over 2 years. Probably walking around outside like this is perfect weather then get to their seat and bam. They showed a guy dressed up as Bush in the stands and he looked like he was going to pass out before the game even started. I'm not making excuses for it. I'm already on record saying I hate 1pm games and they're boring to me.

Sadly this is true. That would suck because it's such a great experience. I think they saw the fans riled up after the ejection. So they played it. It was going to be a 2 Renegade game but obviously the opportunity never came. Doing it before kickoffs is just so stupid to me.

20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Even when Pitt games are full, it's hard to take a piss, eat and then smoke a cigarette, and get back to my seat for kickoff. And that a 20 minute intermission. Bathroom lines and concession stand lines are brutal, especially when it's a packed house. Heinz always looks like this at the start of the 3rd.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now that you say that, I don’t think I saw a vendor the whole game.

22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    60K packed like sardines but no vendors because of Covid is just another in a long line of non-sensical rules created by stupid, petty tyrants.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  23. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I can confirm this. I was just trying to get a drink, although I was smart enough not to do it at halftime, and it took FOREVER! It's ridiculous that they don't have vendors in concourse with buckets of ice for this. I get that they want to go cashless, but note to whoever is running this show (wanted to add an adjective to show), they have invented hand-held card readers! Either that or it's the staffing issue post Covid that I've seen in all service industries, I don't know how it was right before that. Either way it sucks.

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I took my son to a game there in 2019 and walked by the concession stands during halftime and it looked as though if we stood in that line we would have missed the entire 3rd qtr. They have 65,000 people attending games and maybe 250 people working concession stands. We ate at a Heinz Field outdoor concession stand before going in and got 2 hot dogs, 1 Cheese fries and 2 sodas and it was nearly $30. There was a heck of a line too. You would think that such demand would have them increase the staffing even if they do have to pay more for the help. Think of all the money they are losing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure how things in PA work but in Minnesota and North Dakota most of the event centers count on volunteer/charity groups to supplement their staffing shortages. Especially the college sports. I would think the state of things would make this a bit difficult.