1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4th and 1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would have preferred if our coach had done this. It’s easy to Monday morning QB but you have to go for it there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s an easy call when your offense is moving the ball and scoring points. We can’t at all count on our offense right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben doesn't like running sneaks, but it was a typical cowardly play by Tomlin. Who cares if you lose by 9 or 16?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It had no impact in the end because they got the ball back but it does illustrate the lack of trust that the coaching staff has in this offence.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You dont know that, what if they went on to score a TD there. Should have went for it.

They don’t go for it there but run a play at the end of the game with zero chance of winning. Just odd decision making.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Going for it was their best defense against the Chiefs Offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Lamar can run, Ben can't. The Steelers are limited in what they can do at the QB position in these situations. That's a major difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Aditi with her usual crap when covering the Steelers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You misspelled "brain dead".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that yesterday, didn’t know she deleted it. She covers the Steelers, she loves Cleveland. She lets it show.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Conversely, if they missed it the Raiders are in prime position to score and put it completely out of reach.

I don’t know about you but I don’t trust this offence to get a yard against anybody when they need it.

Im with you and I would have gone for it personally but it’s easy for us to say that on a message board when our views have no real world implications

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's an easier decision to make when you have a running QB like Lamar to go for it on 4th and 1, the Steelers have struggled in short yardage the last few seasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I would not have gone for it given the current state of our offense and the inability to move the ball. Too predictable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Anyone who wants Ben to sneak it is not thinking properly. He is struggling now, with his myriad of injuries it wouldn't take much. He got pounded a few times yesterday.

I have seen enough of the bombs away as well. His throws are ducks. Move the chains then bomb it when the time calls. Was just a horrible showing for the offense and he is a big part of it.

15. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea you gotta go for that with 8 minutes left and one less timeout. Carr was moving the ball too well and you couldn’t afford to lose an extra 3 minutes on the clock like they did. Tomlin was asked about it after the game and said he wanted to get a stop and get the ball back which they did but at the same time Tomlin has to realize and think about the fact that it took an extra 3-4 minutes off the clock and forced you to burn timeouts earlier that you might have had available in the last 2-3 minutes.

That was far from the reason they lost the game yesterday but Tomlin once again showed a huge lack of clock management in that situation and it costs the Steelers potentially one more chance to get the ball back with enough time left. You can’t burn timeouts like they did as well with 10-11 minutes left in the 4th when you are trailing like Ben did when they didn’t get the play off on time. I’d almost rather lose the 5 yards and have it as 2nd and 15 there instead of burning a timeout in a game you are losing. Those are absolute killers and it more times then not always comes back to bite you in the ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    That game was blown trailing 16-14, on a 3rd and 10 you give up a 64 yard TD pass.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Which is why they should have drafted Jackson and moved on from him years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd have gone for it two in that situation. But I didn't hate the choice to punt. But it does indicate that the coaches don't believe that the run game or a Ben sneak can get them a yd. They'd rather put it in the hands of the defense. That's understandable. But it also shows that if your fears are big enough, you WILL live in them.

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    BUT we could not SLOW THEM down at all, Tomlin sucked this one, I would have gone down swinging and gone for it.

a colossal FU of a game

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Why can 53 year old Tom Brady who subsists on a diet of raw cucumbers and foraged mushrooms sneak it so easily and 260 pound "Big" Ben can't?

21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Coach lives in his fears it’s that simple lol.

we weren’t stopping Carr all day and we struggle to gain a yard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Brady sits on cucumbers, doesn’t eat them lol. Whatever works I guess

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  23. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    May be true but he is 5x the QB Ben is despite being 10 years older... And I would not be shocked to see him win another Super Bowl this year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This isn't the first time Harbaugh has asked Lamar on a crucial 4th down. It's crazy to think a 2 time SB champ has no say and Lamar does. I get it though Lamar is going to actually go for it where Ben is going to hand it off or throw it. If Ben would actually sneak then he'd have more say imo. Also, I don't think Lamar has ever said no. We'd be going for every 4th and short with Ben.

25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    But it was crazy to think the Steelers defense was going to stop them when they didn't stop them all game. Agree the Steelers are too predictable when running short yardage but that's their problem without coming up with better 4 and 1 plays.

• Like Like x 1