1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PFF week 1 grades: EDGE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That just means there is a great deal of subjectivity in those grades.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And potentially bias?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It usually takes players at least a year to recover fully from a torn ACL, which would put him a long way from being all the way back. He could not have picked a worse place to go. He went from being part of a great pass rush to having no help at all.

I argued all along that tagging him last year, then letting him go, was the right call. That turned out to be the case. The Steelers got great production from him in 2020, allowing his replacement time to develop. The only negative was the injury, which was a big part of why the defense faltered in the final five regular-season games and the playoff loss to the Browns.

Ingram looks like a great addition, but he has to stay healthy. That has been his problem recently. If he can do that, Watt will be right. That group can be special, even more so once they get Tuitt back to create more pressure inside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe, or potential human error. Either way, treating those rankings as if they are as accurate as objective statistics is a dubious proposition at best. They are useful as one part of evaluating players, but not the be-all and end-all.

That said, I'll certainly take them as a positive sign. They support what I think we all saw, which was strong performances by all three outside linebackers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been saying this forever My friends.

6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Of course. That's the point. You have to be able to discern between a guy blowing up and OT and getting a sack, vs. a guy getting an unblocked sack.

7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Potentially, but I'd still take a subjective grading scheme (with well-defined grading parameters) over a stat sheet. Every play is graded by two people, too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I treat them as better precisely because they are not objective like statistics. You can't boil down a player's performance on a play based on a number in a column.

Which QB performed better, assuming blocking and coverage the same:

QB A throws perfect pass, bounces off receiver's hands and is intercepted.

QB B throws a pass directly to a defender, it bounces off defender's hands and is caught by receiver for a reception.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    BTW, Cam Heyward is not a household name outside of Pittsburgh, the guys with the flashy stats get all the fame. PFF graded him with a 95+ for Sunday's effort, probably considers him a HOF'er. Wonder if the guys who vote on the HOF even know who he is.

"The RB? Ironhead?"

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Heyward has been a beast love that dude. Great person, player, and leader big fan here!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Imagine if we could have rushed only 4 against the Patriots over the years. Things could have turned out different.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Those examples are far easier to see than much of what they PFF guys are grading when it comes to offensive linemen or defensive players. Does a pass rusher get to the quarterback without being touched because the offense left him unblocked, or is it because he was too quick for the blocker? The latter deserves a lot more credit than the former.

Also, I will take fact over opinion every time.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pardon me while I give that idea all of the eyerolls. I'm sure there are a handful of terrible HOF voters, but most voters would know enough about the game to recognize Cameron Heyward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd say he( Heyward)is well known by most, or He wouldn't be on top100, and other list every year

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Having depth at LB and DL with tuitt back means sustainable pressure