1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Weak running game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Who is to blame for the weak running game yesterday? I put it at 70% on the OL and 30% on the RBs. I get Najee is a 3 down back (though he had 2 drops yesterday 50% Ben's fault for crappy passes) but why not mix it up with some of the other backs?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here we go :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    It looks like the rookie had some issues with timing and finding holes. Also looked like our O-line had some issues. Usually you can expect a starting NFL RB to have the ability to make the first defender miss. That's hard to do if they're in the back field. THAT said.... I think many are not understanding the source of our issues with the running game. In no particular order of importance:

#1 - The Bills are a very good team. It's difficult to run against good defenses. Especially with rookie RB's and a new O-line. I think they held up well considering all of this.

#2 - The passing game. Just like last year our opponents disrespected our passing game by bringing up their corners and safeties to shut down obvious runs and short to med. passes. We will not successfully run the ball until BEN and our WR's make defenses respect the pass. We had one on one match ups with our WR's many times and failed to exploit it past 10 yards. When we did Ben was throwing up jump balls with little chance of any YAC even if it's caught. We had very few attempts to even hit a WR in stride. I'm starting to wonder if Ben's accuracy is a bigger issue than we realize. Does he have numbness in his throwing arm from surgery? What is the deal? He missed 2 or 3 passes less than 5 yards. We can't even consistently run a screen. That's crap. Any decent veteran should have little issues with a zone defense. His velocity doesn't seem that bad. Just about any QB in the league can hit a WR on slants, crosses, and straight deep routes. We aren't even attempting them. Most pass attempts involve the WR sitting down in a spot. I'm concerned. We will not successfully run the ball until we give them some breathing room. Even a good experienced O-line has issues dealing with this. It takes a great RB to consistently run with this kind of pressure in the box. We need the safeties to back up.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    It was his first full speed NFL game, and against a good defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    This Steeler team does not know what it wanfs to do yet All i saw was more motion.Ben behind center obvious what was going to happen Decide Steelers.Run or pass Ben likes and needs shotgun. i wouldnt change it. till he retires

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If anyone was surprised by how the run game was yesterday they haven't been paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. Plus N. Harris runs better in the Shotgun. Hell he ran mostly in Shotgun, and pistol in college, but because everyone says the OC should go under center or he hasn't changed anything. LoL.
    So make our RB and Qb both do something they are not comfortable with.

Here I always thought a OC worked with what the team is best at, and work with that. Not forced a square peg into a round hole.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Ummm…..’cause the Bills have a pretty good defense?

• Like Like x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Nope!!!!!

Suffice it to say and sadly, they have not.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we didn't abandon the run and ben threw under 50 times, we won. usually we do when his passing is limited. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    A completely overhauled line isn't going to look great week one, especially against a quality defensive front. The only lineman I'm concerned with, moving forward, is Chuks. I think there will be week to week improvement with this line. It showed some improvement as the game went on. I don't recall many penalties from this grouping, so I think they could already be on their way to being an adequate line. It's just not going to happen overnight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Let's revisit this topic Week 8

13. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Running games in today's NFL are like Centers in the NBA. They are somewhat effective and valued but not really. Even Derrick Henry and CMC don't really up the stakes on their big games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    No reason to take Najee out due to the limited opportunities. Second half was a bit better. As Tomlin said Najee is built for it.... (0:36 s).

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You forgot "Look at me" and "SMH".

I do agree with you though. Some people just whine no matter what.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    it'll work out. I don't think it's going to be a dominate offense, but they do have the pieces to be pretty decent. Week 1 man

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This guy is trolling us. Ever notice every thread he starts always raises questions about a perceived weakness. Always meant to stir up negativity. Ever notice he rarely comments again in the thread? That’s because he’s just sitting back laughing.

we just won a game that hardly anybody was picking us to win. It wasn’t perfect, but we beat a darn good team. We should be celebrating as fans not picking every damn thing apart.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    With this thread, we have people that just don’t get it. On the O line we had new everyone. Ben’s first game of the season, new O line in front of him and last but not least a first NFL game as a new RB. Some people on the board want miracles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He's just mad because there was no " Benny Lava Snell " Football

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm telling you guys and gals. When Ben and the wr corp start rolling then Najee will start rolling. First half ...they were stacking the box ... because, they weren't respecting the passing game. I like ebron, but it is time to make freiermuth a star. I love the way kc and tb use their te's. The last dominating te that we had ... was Eric Green

• Like Like x 3
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Disagree Heath Miller was dominant and dependable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I love Heath ... but nobody, gameplanned for heath like they did for Green. We've lost alot of awesome talent because of weed.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They lost Green because of weed? I'm not sure I ever heard that. Of course back when he played the only source of Steelers news was ESPN, USA Today and Sports Illustrated.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    His mom limits his online time.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you for enlightening us.

• Like Like x 1