1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Games Will Ben Survive?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I guess the throw to Eebron, escaping the pocket, pressure on him, moving to his right isn't an example. A couple misfires... I just don't get you folks. God forbid our QB was Allen that game.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    No, Ben did not play well. The first half he was as bad as I have ever seen him except that he did not turn the ball over. In the second half he was adequate. He did make his best two throws on the final FG drive so maybe he is warmed up and we will see better next week but that was a piss poor overall performance by Ben. He refused to even try to make a real throw in the first half. As bad as the o-line was at times Ben did have chances to push the ball and all he did was immediately look to dump it off. And often those dumpoffs were poorly thrown. He averaged 5.9 YPA. That is pathetic. Even in the second half he was 12-20 for 130, or 6.5 YPA. Still really, really bad and would put him at the bottom of the QB rankings. We are not going to have success on offense and will do nothing to get the running game going so long as Ben continues to fail to push the ball down the field, and often refuses to even try to do so. Yesterday's performance only seems acceptable to anyone because the defense and STs bailed out the woeful offensive performance. Ben needs to get a lot better and it blows my mind that anyone thinks he was good yesterday. People must have really lowered their standards. For comparison's sake, Baker average 11.5 YPA and Burrow averaged 9.7. 5.9 is not going to get it done. I don't want to watch another year of the crap we saw last year where every pass is within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage and defenses pack the box and tee off on our offense because of it.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Calm down bro

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Why should I calm down? It blows my mind that anyone thinks Ben was good yesterday because he was not at all other than avoiding the killer turnover. I can handle him missing throws but he won't even try them most of the time. If this were a new thing I'd chalk it up to the first game of the season but this is exactly what we saw from Ben all last year. It wasn't good enough then and it isn't good enough now. If we don't get more from Ben and the passing game we will waste another tremendous defense this year.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Steelers Depot has him on the losers list the key statement I am most concerned with is Wobbly and late..Ben did a nice job of moving in the pocket and will need to continue to do so, my concern is high throws and wobbly throws are key indicators of lower body problems.. I am not saying that's what caused his poor play yesterday , but if it did he will get less and less mobile each game.This will put him in more and more danger...If the OL continues to play this poor Ben may be busted up by game 5 ,I hope the Coaches keep an eye on Ben and shut him down early if need be let 1 of the bu's take the beating while the OL learns to play..We need a healthy Ben for the stretch run i have very little hope in that at this point..

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    He looked great moving around in the last preseason game. I am hoping that what we saw is the typical slow start for Ben after a layoff. The positive is that his two best throws were near the end of the game on the final FG drive. The 24 yarder to JuJu was nice and right where it needed to be. The throw to Claypool where it looked like he slammed his head on the turf and got a bit dinged was a perfect throw. Hopefully he picks up from there in the next game. If nothing else he needs to throw to the TEs more over the middle. Anything to try to back the freaking D off. This dumping it off constantly when the defense is up on the line is not going to cut it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Whatever man. We won. Enjoy it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there were two of those sunday over harris' head. they could have gone for good yardage too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    didn't we win 12 games last year?:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree and I will add our OC needs to give our OT'S help more chipping and max protection could help in that regard as well as calling more reverses or end arounds and screens to help make the edge rushers stay home more ..The fake dive to Harris with a TE screen would be a very useful play it would also help keep them from keying on Harris so much ..

As you stated more Deep throws are needed as well we need them off of PA inside IMO and then throw it to Harris as well after the fake from time to time .. Anything to help spread the D and or confuse the LB'S and Box players..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, they need a vertical passing attack which they began doing in the second half. I don’t know why they didn’t attack down field in the first half but overall, Ben was not sharp by any stretch of the imagination.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    And I am pretty sure no one on here was satisfied with the way last year turned out. The primary issue was the complete inability to throw the ball down the field, which continued in yesterday's game. I want the Steelers to actually win a playoff game this year. We will not do that if Ben is averaging 5.9 YPA. You can't win consistently like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing of Allen yesterday.

I was surprised how many times they called for a running play from Allen. They are going to get him killed making him run the ball so much. I guess this would be a way to slow the defense down if they must play to contain a QB like Allen.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree. That really plagued us last season. But we did win 12 games.
    I don’t know how much of a factor it played in the game plan early on, but it was pretty darn windy there.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    our longs for our receivers sunday were:

24, 24,22, 19, 14TD, 9, 4.

buffalo's were:

37 TD, 16, 13, 13, 12, 5

there are times you take what the defense gives you.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    He also took a shot to the back on that one. Flag-worthy? I thought defenders had to back off completely when a QB starts a slid, no matter how ungraceful it appears (like BB's yesterday). :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This would have been the perfect time to use "Hoo?" ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Is that really what you thought the first half was? Seriously? Ben wasn't even hitting the dump offs reliably and that was the entirety of what he attempted. If it hadn't been a direct continuation of what we saw last year and resulted in losing 4 of 5 down the stretch then I would be a lot more willing to chalk it up to early season but the Bills were crowding the box and line and we did not even attempt to back them off. Pretty much the moment Ben started at least attempting real throws the offense started to move. We cannot waste games doing nothing but dinking and dunking. We have to take shots down the field and back the defense off at least a little or we will do nothing on offense and waste another great defense.

19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    What do those mean?

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought it was because it was a half a$$ slide. Half slide half I don't know what. The way He did it could Hurt a 16 year old. I was like Dang Ben I know you played Baseball. :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly what I said

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm. A lot of our 1st half was under center . What everyone wanted. 2nd Half mostly wasn't. Yet we threw, and run the ball better in the 2nd half.. Sometimes You just don't beat Your head against the wall for nothing.
    Hell for anyone that actually watched. Harris ran better when we weren't under center.
    Also anyone that watched Harris in College knows He ran most the time out of pistol, and Shotgun.
    So going under center a lot is something Ben doesn't really like , and something Harris hasn't done in a while.
    So they are both out of their comfort zone, but by all means because the fans want it , and say our new Oc must do it 2 prove something. Just keep forcing it.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He did not play bad IMHO. He had some really good throws that were spot on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    He was absolutely dreadful in the first half. He was not even able to dump it off reliably or accurately. He improved to adequate in the second half. 12-20 for 130 is not anything to get excited about but it was at least efficient. But 6.5 YPA is still not good enough. That said, he did make several nice throws. The late one to JuJu for 24 yards and then the perfect throw to Claypool for a big first down on the final FG drive were both really nice. Earlier in the half he had at least started to attempt to make throws down the field and he made several that at least gave the WRs a chance to make a play. Hopefully Ben is warmed up for next week because he was not good overall yesterday. The defense all game and STs in the second half won us that game. The offense could have easily lost it in the first half with their performance. At least they didn't turn it over. That was really the only saving grace of the offense in the first half. Anything less than a stellar defensive performance and the game would have been over by the half.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i beleive most games we play have 2 halves. heck cleveland beat up KC in the first half only to lose it in the second half. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2