1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the bills game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 12, 2021.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was a great yet very stressful (and stress relieving) game. But even though we got the very valuable W

how many games has this team been in over the last 5 - 7 years where there is only one good half of football played?

I feel like it’s almost 50% of our games. Squeaker wins and deflating losses because there wasn’t 60 minutes of good ball. Our games are always stress inducing.

A complete 60 minute full 3 phase win every now and again would be good for my constitution.

2. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I saw a lot of Bill’s WR’s wide open.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... Did you see the Greenbay Game today?

Rodgers may be ready to fall off a cliff this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    - Ingram looks really good. We might have the best LB group we’ve had since the 70’s.

- kick Return coverage was horrible . ST’s gave them 3 points.

- the bills beat them selves . Luckily we let them do it. We got lucky today, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Bills had timely penalties, dropped balls, missed wide open wr’s for td’s and a blocking gaffe on a punt . We cannot play like that and expect many wins. Defense won it for us.

- Our offense was largely inept . The defense looks to be excellent again this year.

- the bills had their fair share of holding penalties but they deserved 3x what was actually called. I hope this isn’t what to expect this season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    It is amazing how good this cold beer tastes tonight....cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    My personal observations from todays game??

1.) The Rookies:

Najee, Pat, Kendrick, Dan, Norwood and Pressley all had a game!! Sure, Dan and Kendrick took their lumps early on but recovered later in the game. As I have stated leading up to the game for weeks, growing pains indeed. Expect them to continue as today's form was sadly not a forgone conclusion. Even so, it has never been how one starts but one finishes.... and that difference matters. Here is hoping that, in addition to a hard fought win today, some of that momentum can carry forward. Tre Norwood though surprised me the most. He did give up two big plays but, besides those two, played pretty damn good if not lights out. Najee's performance was, as I was expecting it to be; slow but steady. Did not expect too much in the first half but I anticipated a better outcome in the second. I was not disappointed but more so impressed by the Offensive Line's redemption. Najee's instincts and football IQ might never be as praised as his agility, lateral explosiveness, vision and ball security but, without those two important traits..... this game could have gone a different path for certain. Pat was also a rookie I did not concern myself with.... minus his lack of usage in the Offense. However, given Ebron's performance today, expect Freiermuth's snap count to increase.

2.) The Front Seven:

T.J. Watt and Melvin Ingram were both non issues for me. My bigger questions actually stemmed from the likes of Alex Highsmith, Chris Wormley and the early stages of the game for Devin Bush Jr. For all three?! Great job overall; doubly so by Wormley today. It will not show up as much in the stat sheet for Wormley, only an assisted tackle to his credit, but he was a major reason as to why the Bills could not run as successfully along the interior for most of the game. As for the long stretch runs attempted by Buffalo, for most of the day, Devin Bush Jr did great. That said, getting better at shedding blocks is going to be paramount, staying patient yet allowing his instincts to read those keys more quickly. Given the fact he has not played football since October, nearly a full year, I would expect him to fully iron out those kinks sooner rather than later. Heyward, Watt and Ingram??..... performed just like I thought they would; hence why I am not going to further analyze their performances. That stated though, TJ Watt does have a chance to become a Top 5 Defensive Player in sacks should he finish this season in dominant fashion like last year. He currently has 51.5 sacks through 4+ seasons; 25th all time per this site. However and, remember, T.J. is JUST STARTING his fifth season. J.J. Watt has 74.5 within his fifth season. Is getting 19.5 sacks doable??... For most rushers, I would say no. For T.J. Watt though??.... without a doubt yes.

3.) The Secondary:

Already discussed Tre Norwood so I will not do so here. That said, James Pierre and Cameron Sutton... have yourselves a day. While Sutton was going to have some redemption given the fact that Stephon Diggs humbled him a season ago, James Pierre played, in my opinion, the best game between the two. From his recovery speed to his discipline, nothing really stood out in a negative way for Pierre. Dare I say that, should Pierre continue this ascension, that removes yet another major need for Pittsburgh in the 2022 Draft as Joe Haden was not resigned. Realistically speaking, keeping both Sutton and Pierre would be ideal but I would imagine that the Front Office will let this one play out.

4.) Offensive Line:

I have stated this in perpetuity. For that matter, I am running out of ways to say it!!!... So.. I will just say it.

Growing.

Pains.

The more this unit gels as the season goes on, the better. The key though is not just consistency but also one of significance, health. Stacking wins is one aspect towards organically accelerating continuity along the Offensive Line. Doing so with the same five guys is a much different aspect all together. Having the same corps commit to the same style of winning is crucial.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Pretty much how the Chiefs play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Rodgers stunk today.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    #1 I 'm glad we committed to running the ball even after very little success. Reps will make this unit better in the long run and wear down teams in the 4th quarter in the short run
    #4 The engine light? :lolol: There were at least 3 pass plays he was out of sync with Ben
    #6 The NFL's officiating is garbage. I don't mind if they're going to allow mugging, but at least be consistent. A guy grazes someone on one play and and gets the flag, tackles a pass rusher the next with no call.
    #7 WOW, I was expecting this to be a warmup game for him just going through the motions.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean,Rodgers that only threw picks today. Maybe he should quit pointing fingers, and look in the mirror

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I took a peek at the Bills message board and they were livid about the interception Ben through that was overturned by PI. What they have to realize is that Ben saw the flag and threw the ball because he knew that he had a free play.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did you see him play today??

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    If that's the case NO TEAM can cover. Steeler coverage was excellent.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Broncos appear to be in the best position.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Rodgers made a complete ass of himself with his holdout and then coming out with that performance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed :thumbs_up:

17. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    He is the quintessential prima donna.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner :thumbs_up:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Did you watch Rodgers lose today?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's early but I wanted the Steelers to keep Sutton over Hilton, Cam is much better in coverage, and he offers more versatility by playing the slot and outside CB.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It was nice to see the refs call holding on the Steelers opponent, in the past we have seen TJ get held but no flags thrown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Agree, the coverage is key. The front seven needs to take care of rushing the QB and stopping the run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Mel Ingram stood out. I expected him to be good, and he delivered.
    Najee was not good. About the only thing he has going for him right now is he does not fumble. As far as running, it was not good. Big disappointment.
    Ben to Deonte communication was off, way too many targets and missed passes. That was completely unacceptable, one or both of them should be benched for that. There should be internal fines for that kind of persistent miscommunication on passes.

25. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    This offense will be fine I think an will provide enough scoring. They can and will play better then they did today. There is too much talent from top to bottom for them not to generate more points and scoring chances.

I thought two big plays in this game were the two 4th down stops the Steelers got on the Bills both in the 3rd quarter and early in the 4th quarter. Cam Sutton was great and him stuffing that play at midfield on the Bills 4th and short was a huge play in the game. I thought the Bills got a little too cocky In this game going for those 4th downs. I didn’t feel they were absolutely necessary for them to go through and go for it. I thought they got arrogant and the Steelers D made them pay for it big time.