1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He won't be going anywhere for a while even if they can't reach a deal. They will franchise tag him because they know he won't just holdout and not play. Only way is if someone blows them away with compensation for him next year.

2. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    now Bell is with the Ravens. Do we really want TJ Watt there or with the Browns? Please get the deal done .

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I can see you don't care to master English. My point was that you were making a point that doesn't hold up and you don't have the skill to prop it up, so you should stop trying.

Really? Teams cave and trade players who want more money the majority of the time? By all means, back that up with some evidence.

No, every post of mine does not end with an attempt to de-emphasize athletes or marginalize them. Most of my posts don't even touch on the importance of athletes. Those that do portray them as what they are, people with rare skill sets who are important to our lives because we are sports fans. I do not see them as heroes to be worshipped and coddled as you do.

You seriously think pro athletes work harder than everybody else in every other profession? I would dismiss that as the thinking of a college kid who doesn't know any better yet, but my daughter is a college student and she knows better. So do most of the students I teach. I guess you only respect physical work, which is sad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they can’t get a deal done now because of the guarantees I don’t see what will have changed next offseason except the price will probably have gone up. I still hope they get something done before the opener.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Maybe some of the younger Rooney's can convince Art to get with the times or a financial windfall happens and he opens the money vault.

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

Some people just have to be stupid and speak before they think. Roddy the reason Ben didn't throw his financial support about Antonio Browns self destruction was because he wasn't in a contract year, he wasn't holding out for an extension or being kept on the cheap. No Brown saw everyone else getting paid and wanted some too even though he had got paid and paid well. World of difference between seeking an extension before the beginning of the 5th yr option and engaging in a scorched earth campaign in order to force your release from a team to get more money.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah that’s a very uninformed opinion he’s displaying there. I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day, pro athletes do not work harder than me. They workout harder than me but that’s about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Stupid people with an agenda will say stupid stuff.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Truth

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Pittsburg enough said.

12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    They couldn't convince him to move on from Tomlin so don't hold your breath.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd rather see him traded then tagged twice. Both for the Steelers & TJ.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not embarrassed to say I had to look that word up. Reminds me of when AQL dropped the word "sycophant" on us. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm not even sure I want this deal to happen, but just another example of ownership not wanting to get with the times and showing their cheapness. Yearly base salary is guaranteed based on league revenue so they are protected there. However the guaranteed money comes from the team's coffers or future revenues. It counts towards the cap too but is divided among the length of the contract per year. So teams use it to lower the salary value to sign marquee players. But it's profit for the individual franchise so obviously they're gonna pinch.

The Steelers can keep trying to play this game whenever they want to sign a high profile player to a long term deal but they're not gonna win. It's only gonna get worse from here. Minkah is already tainted.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not just the Steelers, players are finding "ways" out of their contracts more & more every year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You're not wrong there too.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I wouldn’t say ownership is cheap. The fact that we consistently find ourselves in cap hell tells me they have opened up their wallets.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Read what I wrote again. Spending to the cap any
    team can do. They don't get to keep any excess if they don't spend to the cap. So they're not on the hook for that money because it's guaranteed by revenue sharing. We constantly find ourselves in cap hell because they won't use guaranteed money to lower the cap hit which is what more non-frugal teams do. That kind of money comes from owners pockets. Hence why I say cheap.

20. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    More like Ben took less money because he should be retired and can’t throw 10 yards downfield accurately anymore?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt it will come to that, but that is the hammer the Steelers hold.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Jesus Blast that’s a long work week! I’m never complaining about my 38 hours again.

23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    As do all 1st round picks. Not sure what that has to do with what I said.

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Why would Ben throw his name behind a self destructive *******, who had no morals whatsoever, and didn't give a **** about his team, only himself...

Even if God forbid TJ's time here is short...You can't lump him and AB's names together ...2 TOTALLY separate circumstances!

And that Clown knows that...Just trying to stir up ****, That's what he does!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I like TJ and think he is a bad ass Steeler but if his contract is going to hamstring us during an inevitable rebuild I’m backing that idiot Rooney on this one. TJ Watt is a difference maker no doubt but he won’t push us over the top by any means.