1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Number 1 Receivers over the years.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Sep 7, 2021.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He'll get there someday. After all, it took 14 years for Swann!

• Like Like x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    On a team of 53 players give me 53 Hines Wards any day.

Leader, great teammate, didn't care about stats, got the 1st down, never dropped a ball, would straight up drop you on a block. Would get you a big play when it was really needed.

Not many WR's had league rules changed because of them. Hines did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I also think Louis Lipps was very underrated.

I think for a period in the 1980's the only thing exciting about watching the Steelers was to see what Louis Lipps would do, and he played with absolute crap at the QB position his whole career basically.

I think he is still the Steelers record holder for most touchdowns his 1st 2 years in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, it's unfortunate the best Steelers team Lipps played on was his rookie year in '84. That was an exciting season because of Lipps. The team was average to terrible from '85- '91.... with '89 being an outlier.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You suck for even doubting the Greatness of H. Ward.
    ..LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like I said. Kids. I argued this with a cuz once. Because all people of age do now is....I went and looked at his stats....he was so and so. I said someday people will go back and look at players that have really done nothing, and say ....because of stats, and nothing else....wow so ,and so was really good....when in all reality they were stat padders. This is why I quit playing Fantasy football.

What Ward brought 2 the table they don't keep stats of.
    How many D players he knocked out of a game, rules that were change because of Him, fear by every D player if the ball was turned over, His sure hands, his heart, his will 2 win, and his blocking abilities. The D didn't put bounties on this guy for nothing. How many Wrs can say this???

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Can't compare any of those guys to todays receivers. We do not have a #1 receiver right now. JuJu just isn't a #1 receiver (if he was he wouldn't have signed here again he would have gotten the contract he thought he would get elsewhere). DJ drops to many passes (maybe he becomes one one day but a #1 you are not if you are even in the discussion for leading the league in drops). Claypool maybe turns into a #1 but way to early to tell. Most likely hes another JuJu where he is a Very strong #2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    While I agree with you on this being impactful, when I look at a wide receiver and the value he brings, the last thing I'm worried about is how many defenders he took out. I'm worried about primarily his ability to catch, run routes, beat press and 1 on 1 coverage, and make plays.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He did all that and more. He didn't win MVP of a SB for nothing. I'm sad You couldn't watch the Guy play whole games.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I watched him. As a receiver and of those things I listed he wasn't better than moss, T.O, Harrison, Andre Johnson, Fitz, Steve Smith, etc.. he did win sb mvp but so did Julian Edelman and deion branch.

11. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Hines Ward > OBJ

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Career wise? Obviously. But Also gues what? AB>>>>> ward

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hines was better than AB, it must be said. No you can't convince me otherwise with stats. Both elite at what they do.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He was only better at AB at blocking. Hines in no point in his life was the best wr in football and never put up anything close to the numbers AB did. Was never ever first team all pro. Never led the NFL in any receiving category. Stop it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    AB is probably a lock for the HOF. His attitude and behavior from 2018-2020 was repulsive. Ward was a team player... AB is a selfish punk who cared only about himself, obviously.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No, stop with the AB worship. We saw what happens when AB has to share the stat padding.

Again
    Hines > AB
    Hines would make the team in ANY era. AB...lol

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ab played with HOF Qbs his whole entire Pro football Life, H. Ward clearly did not. That is something stats don't say. I bet You can't even remember the names of all the Qbs H. Ward played with ....without looking it up, but You can ab's. Big difference there

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He shared it with juju and still led the NFL in tds, had over 100 catches, and 1300 yards. That was a semi down year for AB lol. Hines is not AB. No one ever called Hines the best in the world. Ab was for more than half of a decade.

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Julian Edelman played with Tom Brady too. Why wasn't his numbers great? Plenty of other people played with Ben including Hines ward who hasn't put up ab numbers. Where has juju been he was supposed to replace ab? No where close. Andre Johnson never had a qb. What do his numbers look like? I've seen deandre Hopkins ballout with the Texans playing musical chairs at qb. If you're that guy you will ball out regardless.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Hines ward was a better team player than T.O and was eligible for the hall of fame before T.O and who ultimately made the hall of fame first?

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Says who? Motormouth Sharpe?

• Like Like x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Says the fact he was NEVER first team all pro. He didn't make all decade. And he still has yet to make the hall of fame while others in his Era have already been in who retired AFTER him.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said Ab , and H. Ward. You don't think one playing with HOF Qbs his whole career ,and the other playing with a K. Graham make a difference...then we have nothing more 2 discuss on the subject.

24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The HOF is becoming a stat joke unfortunately. Just like the league wanting high scoring games imo.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I didn't even say just career. Hines had ben for years and still didn't put up the number ab did. And no. Andre Johnson didn't play with a ben at all. Who had the better numbers and career between him and Hines ward?

And playing with a hof qb shouldn't just apply to ab and Hines. It should apply to everyone.