1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Holdout?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 7, 2021.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    more so also lucky it’s a such thing as a franchise tag. They’d have to be forced to trade guys like they do in the nba when guys want out because you can’t lose stars for nothing.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly why the tag will stay

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    it’d be on the players to fight to get rid of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I think most Super Bowl winners going forward will fall in to two categories:

1. QB on a cheap rookie deal with a stacked roster around him

2. Teams with a top 5 QB that can elevate the offence

It’s going to be virtually impossible to win with a middling QB earning $25m +

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Along that vein, this is KC's last year before Mahomes' cap hit starts escalating. I think he could end up like Favre and Rodgers before he does like Brady - one early ring and done.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    #2 for sure. I think the middling thing is still possible with a stacked roster.

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    With Kelce it's closer to Brady imo.

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am all for the tag. However I do think they need to make some alterations to it.

For starters I believe you should only be able to tag a player once. There should be no time limits for the tagger and the taggee to get a deal done. The tag should be used for both parties to work out a long term deal, or for the tagger to find suitable trade compensation for the player. If neither can be achieved than the taggee should be forced to play out the season under the tag. This should include camp, all mandatory team activites, and all pre-season, regular season, and post season games. If the taggee chooses to not honor the tag then he should lose that year and be eligible to be tagged again.

No player should be tagged in two consecutive years so long as the taggee fulfills his obligation to the team that tagged him. To me that is like holding a player hostage. If the tag was used in this way I think it would solve a lot of problems.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Kelce's already going to be 32 in October. He could start slowing down at any point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I always wonder about wonderboy Brady without Gronk's (elite te) help. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not at this point but if he holds out into the season I’ll be mad at him. I’m a Steelers fan, I don’t have a vested interest in these guys financials, I have an interest in the team winning.

The Steelers, no matter how bad you want to make them the bad guys, are under no obligation to even be negotiating with TJ right now. He’s under contract.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Absolutely... That way I can't wait to hear from these Cleveland Dickheads at work...

I work at a Steel Mill on the Pa/ Ohio border, Pa side... About 80/20 Steelers / Clowns... I've never heard so much **** last year, and so far this preseason...

They truly believe Pittsburgh is done, and the Browns are the model franchise now...

They don't understand that the way the NFL is set up now, your best chance of having a really great team ( for a few years ) is when you get a great QB, have him develop quickly, pay him peanuts ( relatively speaking ) and THERE'S your window!

A lot of teams are forever chasing that Franchise QB ( we went through it ) Their day of reckoning is coming NEXT YEAR!

First off , Mayfield is gonna get paid ( good,I think he's a fraud set up in a perfect situation ) GREAT OL, gonna need paid! TWO great RB's, gonna need paid! OBJ, Landry,Hooper, gonna need paid! Garrett, and some really good young Defensive players, gonna need paid!

Their window is THIS year... Some really tough decisions coming for that ****hole Franchise, and soon!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The contract is set up so that they can restructure year to year but they’ll have to pay the piper eventually. On a wider point if you look at their drafts since they took Mahomes in 2017 they really haven’t added any impact players on either side of the ball and are still hugely dependent on Hill and Kelce. They’ve been picking late in the draft order obviously, but still, Veach is getting a pretty easy ride and is living off that Mahomes pick to an extent.

I could definitely see them start to fall off a little in the coming years unless they add more star talent through the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Kelce turns 32 this football season, will eventually slow down.

In 2022, the Chiefs top 6 players have a cap hit of $122M, $138M the next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You really think thats why they go broke?

Bet you would go broke. You think just like them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Sorry I was trying to be funny and say whether we have them both or not we won’t compete. Lol

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Maybe to you but there’s plenty of people on tj’s side.

and tj has a vested interest into himself. He himself is a brand and he has every right to protect it. So if he wants to hold out of do whatever he feels is in his best interest than by all means go ahead.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It must be rough right now with their playoff win. Ask them how many AFCN division titles they've won in their lifetime...lol
    Preseason SB champs...every year since the tear down...smh

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL I didn’t say he couldn’t. You keep applying arguments I’m not making.

He’s not going to hold out anyway, he’s not that dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    you never know. Players of today are changing the guard. They’re taking more control of their careers. He just may holdout. He may feel that’s the only way to show Pitt he’s not playing about his money.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If he holds out while still under contract it will definitely hurt his so called "brand". I'm sure it already is actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Anything is possible of course but I can’t think of a recent winner that fits that profile, SF came close with Garropalo but it wasn’t sustainable and they moved heaven and earth this offseason to replace him with Lance

I think the future winners are much more likely to come from teams with an elite tier 1 QB or a guy on a rookie deal.

Mayfield is an excellent example and I agree with Disco, once he gets paid their Super Bowl window will start to close. I’m not 100% sure they’ll pay him tbh. That front office is much smarter than previous iterations and I am sure they recognise that a lot of his success is down to what is around him. He probably has the best situation in the entire league with that OLine and run game to open up easy play action completions

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Still very hopeful this gets done before Sunday. He may not play a full part in the week 1 game @Buffalo but so be it.

I just can’t countenance them not getting it done

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    you know how many guys have done this and it didn’t hurt their brand?

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’d only do it if he was a FA next season.