1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

cuts and keeps

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 30, 2021.

1. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    looks like Coward is coming back. Surprised he got it over Finney. Finney must be playing really bad...

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Coward, Finney and Maulet are all back,

Banner, Tuitt and McFarland gone to IR

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So Banner, Tuitt and McFarland can't come back until later in year right? What is it Week 6?

Or are they done for year completely?

What is with the musical chairs already by bringing guys back (Finney/Coward)? Did they get scared after Roche got poached?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They are eligible to return after missing three games so they can play week 4 if healthy

Roche was always going to get snapped up, they clearly weren’t worried about losing him

• Like Like x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Pretty obvious something was going on with Tuitt and Banner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wasn't Roche selected pretty close to Mr. Irrelevant too?

7. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Guy just can't stay healthy...showed so much promise but I think it's time to cut bait.

7 seasons in the NFL and has only played a full regular season once (and it was his rookie year).

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Roche had one of the best first steps at the Sr.Bowl as well as great hands use. Would not have let him go.

I am pretty positivev the guys like Coward and Finney are vested vets and not open to the waiver wire. They become FA immediately.... so the Steelers can just tell them... please don't sign we will bring you back tomorrow.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

216. 6TH ROUND.. also known as 17 picks after Tom Brady or 21 picks after AB

Steelers drafted Norwood and Tiny Elvis closer to Mr Irrelevant

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Late sixth, a lottery ticket essentially

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wasn't holding his draft position against him just that I thought he was one of the extremely late round picks where you can find diamonds or just coal. I thought they liked his motor and special teams ability so it would appear he didn't stand out quite as much as he could of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What guy

13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He played every game last year that they wanted him to play. He was rested in the finale like many vets were.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is not accurate. Tuitt played Week 17 against the Browns. The game he missed was Dec. 2 against Baltimore, when he was on the COVID list.

He does have trouble staying healthy and they may need to move on from him after this season, but for now, they need him back as quickly as possible. It is already a big blow to have to face the Bills without him. Hopefully, he can return the first game he is eligible for, which is Week 4 against the Packers.

15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Okay. These moves are fairly easy to see coming, at least in the abstract. It was clear Tuitt and Banner were hurt. We knew some vet OL cuts probably had handshake deals to return. The exact end-of-roster pieces are fungible anyway. They must like the OL options in house. Fingers crossed there. As much as I get the hope for Roche, if he was good enough he'd still be here.

The CBs still terrify me but nothing is happening with other cuts. Again, they must like the guys already here. :shrug:

Oh, and I seem to remember this TJ guy. Wonder whatever happened to him...

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    A bit surprised that UG3 made it. Thought Quincy Roche would be in. Sadly he is not and is now a New York Giant.

I really think he can be a rock solid pass rusher. On the bright side, Karl Joseph was signed onto the Practice Squad!!

17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I wish we sometimes knew the things we don't know. I was excited about Joseph, too. He sure seems like someone who should be on a 53 but he isn't. Same with Roche making the Steelers. No clue. You have to trust the decisions, which surely we never do completely, but there's nothing else to go on. Injuries we don't know about? Attitude/personal problems we don't hear about? Smelly feet? Who knows.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

No doubt for certain. I definitely liked Roche coming out of Miami and thought he was going to burst onto the scene. I did not expect Jamir Jones to perform the way he did though. Ever since his impressive HOF Game debut, Jamir has not given me much to critique him for outside of the usual rookie woes. It is possible that Roche probably was not happy about a reduced snap count after said game as I do not remember him much. Steelers Depot actually has a total charting of snap totals and Jamir Jones' 192 far surpassed Quincy Roche's 156. If anything, among all 2nd to 3rd string players, both Offensive and Defensive, Tre Norwood has him beat with 200 total snaps; highest on the team. More info of this can be found here.

Getting back to Jamir Jones vs. Quincy Roche, where Jones takes the lead among the two actually occurs in the second Preseason game per this article; again courtesy of Steelers Depot. I would have to surmise that something took place during this time as Jones' lead stays the course against Detroit and does not dip soon thereafter. Either way, he who earns more snaps usually is the one who is the most consistent and delivering the big plays. Jones cashed in more than Roche did; Jones being the winner in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Roche showed some promise but I think I trust the organisation that saw him in practice every day. There are shades of Tuzar Skipper about the whole thing, Tuzar also ended up with the Giants ironically. Roche probably would have made the practice squad but I’m sure they knew he wouldn’t clear waivers. If they thought he had ‘it’ they would not have released him

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed, for years we have had camp successes, get cut or poached and really do not amount to much. Roche may not become a huge star..he may, but you cannot teach athleticism...edge depth is so important..this might be painful to see on the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Does anybody know why McFarland was placed on the IR, What injury did he have?

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He(Roche)was my camp darling. Hate 2 see him gone. I bet they didn't think he'd get snatched up so quickly.

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I get where you're coming from, but the Watts are running out of brothers to sign if that's what it takes to keep TJ happy. I'll get excoriated for this but, I'd sign him then trade him next year for the first overall, plus??? They can win it all in a few years with a new franchise QB. Joe Shmoe behind center with TJ Watt as edge rusher breaking the bank will not put the Steelers over the top in the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Sir Isaac or Wayne?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did people actually like Wayne Newton....besides my Grandmother???