1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Spillane

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    His LB coach Jerry O made a career in NFL by over acheiving, hell get the ball boy to run
    pass patterns an hour after practice on you. Or pay a college athlete to run pass pattern you will see
    on the NFL level on you. Practice practice. Your footwork will come automatically after repetition.
    Granted it may not be enough, but atleast he is trying.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Problem is that they aren't putting him in the best position to succeed. If you know that is an area of weakness, devise a way to limit exposure to that. Everyone has areas of strength and weakness. This isn't a mind over matter course. We're not being coached by Tony Robbins. It's like they are asking a guy who only bats right-handed to switch hit against a right-handed pitcher. Of course you would prefer a lefty hitting a righty, but if the dude doesn't bat left, you're not making things better. Just let him do what he does best and stop expecting him to be something he's not to the detriment of the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Did you just say Spillane can't cover the ball boy on routes? I mean your probably right... was just making sure.

HACK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. Dogman

Dogman Member

Aug 16, 2021
    I think opposing teams have obviously learned Spillane's limitations and put him in a position to fail. He simply can't cover any type of fast/quick receiver, that isn't who he is. He's not alone in that boat, most teams have similarly situated players. I guess the complicated coverages the Steelers like to use make him a square peg in a round hole. Maybe I am way off base here, but it seems to me that the lack of a decent DB tandem puts a lot of the load on the LBs. It's a triple edged sword, not much pass rush, lousy DBs and LBs tasked with doing the impossible. Hopefully the Steelers find their way to be on the north end of a bunch of 50 to 49 games this year.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The ILBers shouldn't be covering quick/fast wide receivers on major routes.

The issue to me is that Butler thinks that anyone can cover anyone at any time including D Lineman. The opposing offenses will find the mismatch which they do with Spillane.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Spillane's done pretty well for himself..........[​IMG] :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My friends, NFL lb's have to be able to cover RB's and TE's. If not their worthless. Unless Devin Bush, improves in his
    coverage skills he too is a liability.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Bush is going to surprise his critics this year. Maybe not with coverage skills but with being a tackling machine. He stays healthy i see him with a probowl invite. (Before the playoff scratches)

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1