1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bryce Callahan: Cornerback

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Aug 29, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Folks.

I have never been that “let’s sign this guy, let’s sign that guy” person. However, we all know that our Secondary took hits when Nelson and Hilton left. I just came across this article from SB Nation regarding Bryce Callahan from the Broncos. I watched the video on him within the article.

Man, this guy is ATHLETIC and seems to have very good coverage skills
    . If I dare say, he even exemplified some “Troy-Like” plays (see plays against the Lions and rats). We have the money to make a deal and Colbert has been pulling a lot of strings this Off-Season.

Again, we are in need at CB. As I have stated numerous times here, for whatever reason, this Administration has failed time and time again when it comes to “Home-Growing” Secondary Personnel.

This topic has been written about as well as I have posted the link below several times.

Steelers’ Struggles

These “Struggles” are a result of either poor scouting, poor player development or a combination of both. I am leading towards the second option. All of the picks over the Tomlin-Era cannot be that bad. I stopped counting the number of “Struggles” awhile ago. I suggested over the years to just let other teams finds these guys and when the right players become available, go get them as with: Fitzpatrick, Hilton, Haden and Nelson. They have been our “Best” during the Tomlin Regime, no denying it. That is okay though. We have shown strengths in Drafting and Player Development in many other areas. If not, we would not be as successful as we have been over the years.

Okay, the links are above for viewing. I have not seen any other threads mentioning him before.

Now, he does come with some risk as a foot injury seems to have been plaguing him the past few years but the article states that he is 100% back. I say that at the very least we take a look at him.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No doubt Kevin is likely inquiring about him. The question becomes as to how much do the Broncos want? Only major form of draft capital the Steelers have is in 2023.

Should Pittsburgh elect to trade even that, simply put, the team really is going "All In" this season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    On the face of it I don’t like this idea. Callahan is 29, and that is roughly when DBs start to age in dog years. He also had a major injury that left screws in his ankle.
    Still, if the Steelers don’t give too much it might be worth a shot, and I can’t see anyone giving much for Callahan with that injury. He would be more like buying a lottery ticket, and you only pay two bucks for a shot at the Powerball.

What is the Donkos’ position of need? Would this take a three way trade? Never heard of one in football.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I see Bryce as a slot CB with an injury history making 7 million; more than Hilton wanted

And, why would Denver give up their starting Slot CB? I wouldn't expect Surtain to play the slot.

Now if we are talking about a trade for Darby or Fuller then I can see Pittsburgh going after one of these guys. My money would be Denver getting rid of Fuller and letting Surtain play.

Shame Washington didn't have a better preseason for a straight up trade for Fuller.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Quadrupleyoi.

Yes, admittedly his injury is of concern and yes I do have one eyebrow raised with skepticism regarding his injury as you do. However, his Athleticism on that video clip really does have me intrigued. As the article stated, the Broncos seem to be stacked at CB (fortunate for them) and that is why they are looking to dangle him out there. According to the article's author, the right deal can be done with various accounting expenses that will not hit us too bad.. If he is what he is on that video clip, then I really am intrigued. He had blanketed those WRs and made some very athletic plays. Even the punt return was nice. He seems to have good hands for a CB as well.

My biggest selling point as you may know is this organization has been abysmal in drafting CBs during the time that Coach Tomlin has been here. Mathematically, there just cannot be this many "Failures" given Tomlin's time here (going on 14 years).We SERIOUSLY need DBs with the departure of Nelson and Hilton. This Secondary was very, very good last season with Haden, Nelson, Fitzpatrick and Hilton. Edmunds was the weak-link per se. He is what he is and again a draftee of this organization. Again, he is either a product of poor scouting, poor coaching or a combination of both under this Coaching Crew. He is mediocre at best but sufficient.

This is why I have suggested for many years now (Tomlin Era) to go after other teams' proven Secondary Personnel and build our Secondary that way. The four mentioned above, all came via that route. Again, for the sensitive Tomlin Loyalists, we do very well at drafting and developing talent in many other areas. However, the Secondary is not one. It has been talked about numerous times over the years in the media. The kicker, as I have stated, is that the Secondary is where most of Coach Tomlin's Coaching experience stems from starting with his first Secondary gig back in 1996.

If just ticks me off with all of the players that we drafted over the past decade plus that did not work out. If we have to look on the "Open Market" for Secondary guys, then so be it. The four gentlemen mentioned above have serviced us exceptionally well. Again, too bad Nelson and Hilton have departed. From what I have seen on film and having a "relatively" good feeling that Callahan's injury has healed, then I say let us at least give him a Look/Try-Out. No harm there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey AskQuestionsLater.

From the article's author this is how he possibly sees the trade being handled. I am thinking you already read it but for those that may not want read the whole article or need a refresher of the idea, here it is.

"Callahan will cost an acquiring team $7,176,471 in cap space here in 2021, the final year of his current deal. This can be minimized by renegotiating the deal, or adding void years, like how Colbert retooled so many this year. But the Steelers could swallow the entirety of that deal and still be fine financially for everything else."

Now admittedly I am not well-versed in some of the various NFL deal making processes. I have no clue what "adding void years" even means. Wait, I do now as I read up on it (smile).

From Google: How do void years work in the NFL?

"To use the voidable year effectively, the team is going to write a contract for 4 years instead of 3, but the 4th year is really a “dummy” year — its only purpose is to shift cap hit from Year 1 to later in the contract. The player's contract will actually still terminate after the 3rd year."

It seems like some "phantom" accounting practices to me that are within the boundaries of the game per se. Hey whatever works (smile).

I agree with you in that: ".....the team really is going "All In" this season."

Again as I have stated, bring him in for a look. There is no commitment. If he comes as advertised on that video clip within the article, then I say let's see what he has. He demonstrated some really nice coverage skills, fights for the ball, has good hands and again his athleticism is quite evident. If the foot injury is still an issue, our staff will know.

7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Brice.

Yes about: "Shame Washington didn't have a better preseason for a straight up trade for Fuller." In all honesty, just from a fan standpoint, Wide Receiver is one of my favorite positions to watch and emulate on the sandlot. I do like James Washington quite a bit. I wish that when him and Mason Rudolph are together, that they can find that great connection that they had in college. Then again, if they are on the field at the same time it probably would be for less than ideal reasons.

James can ball. Maybe Canada can spread the ball around to make everyone happy. Just as the article stated, the Broncos seem to have "depth" at the Cornerback position while we have the opposite going on across the line with our Wide Receivers. We have to find a way to ease the losses of Nelson and Haden. As I mentioned recently, given our search for a running game we not only need our Defense to be very good for "Stops" but also to chip in with a score here and there as well.

Before, Bush and Dupree got hurt last season this Defense was Fast. I loved it. We need a "Dominate" Defense IMO as the Running Game finds its way. If he is "back" from his foot problems, I think that Callahan may help somewhat with the departure of Nelson and Hilton.

8. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I agree wholeheartedly that for whatever reason, the Steelers are as bad at drafting and developing DBs as they are good at drafting and developing receivers. I don’t know why it is so but it just is. The acquisition of Haden and Minkah were an admission of that. If they can get Callahan and not be on the hook with a financially crippling deal on the books if he does not pan out, I’m OK with it. The upside could be quite up.

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If I were to guess why the Steelers fail at DB more than WR... it would be a few things.

The Steelers like to draft FOOTBALL players first. It is easier to see a FOOTBALL WR at the college level.. you see him catch.. you can see his route tree.. you can see if he creates separation. You can see how willing he is to block. There is a lot you can see just from tape

At DB is harder to see because they are going against college QBs and WRs.... many of . Even if they make the NFL will be career backups. You can see the want to, the hips flip, ect. But you don't see them week in and week out against the best of the best. And as I said. The Steelers focus on FOOTBALL player first....I kind of feel you need to pay a little more attention to ATHLETE at the DB

My draft boards usually look like
    Rounds 1-2. FOOTBALL AND ATHLETE
    Rounds 3-4 ATHLETE + Football
    Rounds 5-7. I focus on athletes that I think could develop... there are some great football guys with little athletic abiliry in the later rounds... but with that little ability. It's hard for them to stick around long enough to learn their craft.

Or.. and I think this is the real reason. The Steelers are like every team.... show me the team that is great at developing DB., or any position?

HACK

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think the Steelers’ DB drafting strategy is to take football players over athletes. Burns was a raw player, but solid athlete. Ditto Davis. Edmunds is a physical prototype who checks every box athletically, but was very raw coming out. Same for Layne.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Real simple. 97% of Wrs are made by the Qbs.
    That's why Rodgers, Brady,Ben,Wilson, and Mahomes Wrs most of the time look good , and Baker, L. Jackson, Cam, and Sam Darnold always will complain about getting weapons, or have 2 trade big money ,and picks 2 get 4 sure weapons that work 4 anyone.

12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Fair point.

HACK

13. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s a symbiotic relationship. Great QBs can enhance their WRs just as a good WR group can help a QB, and the opposite, of course.

The insinuation here being that Ben is responsible for the success the Steelers have had drafting and developing WRs ignores that they’ve been on a roll there since drafting Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress way before Ben was drafted. There’s an organizational element to it that can’t be ignored.

(I think asking a QB to turn a scrap heap WR corp into a winning passing game is asking far too much. The only guy who’s ever been able to win inconsistently in that situation is Tom Brady, yet even then he didn’t put up huge numbers. And he had the aid of elite defenses and Bill Belichick.)

As for why the Steelers suck at drafting and developing CBs, I think it’s still inertia from the LeBeau defense, which allowed the defense to thrive without pro bowlers out there, pushing the value of the position to probably the lowest tier. That, of course, fell apart over the course of the 2000s, but his protege is still here and the same GM.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They think they can mold clay into art, hasn't worked yet. Maybe they should try a former DB coach as a HC next time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    That's so crazy, it just might work! Wait...

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Screenshot_20210831-083919.png

• Like Like x 2
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

The baddest Callahan..." Do you feel lucky, Well do ya...Punk "

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

tomlin ready to send boz into the game with a new longsnapper and new holder to win the game with a 50 yarder. :hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 3
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Haha. Wrong. Not been watching long?? All those Wrs you named were at one time not considered that great. Do I have 2 dig up old stuff with talk about us having a terrible Wrs core, and wasted 1st round pick on Plaxico.....until Tommy Maddox Started playing they were considered one of the worst Wrs units....Then they climbed even higher when Ben came in.
    Hell your namesake says it all. Did well away from Ben did He???

• Like Like x 1
  21. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Good thing we've got a month to get ready for that. Wait...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Hines and Plaxico were considered a very good duo, with Hines making 4 consecutive Pro Bowls from 2001-2004 (that's 3 before Ben). Adding Randel El gave the team one of the best trios in the league for the few seasons they were together. Then immediately after Plax and Randel El left, Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington gave them another very good trio with Hines. Plus the addition of Heath Miller.

We can go on, but you're clearly wrong on this. The team drafts the offensive skill positions exceptionally well. Probably better than anyone in the league, and that's a big reason why Colbert will be in the HOF.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nice ....skipped the whole Maddox thing

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    On top of skipping Tommy M.
    You Talk of Hines and his Pro bowl, and Colbert....who didn't even draft Hines. LoL.
    Every one of those pro Bowls was with Maddox. This is Why I asked if You haven't been watching long. That great Wrs group was laughed at before Maddox took over.
    Why I say Qbs make Wrs 97% of the time.
    You do realize Hines was on the team for about 4, or five years with how many different Qbs ...5 different before his 1st Pro Bowl.
    Again Showing How Qbs make 97% of the Wrs.
    Need more. Do I actually have 2 dig up articles talking about the terrible Wrs of the Steelers before Maddox Started???
    Also skipped Your name sake. How did he fair without Ben??? Did great did he??? Loads of pro Bowls???

25. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Colbert didn't draft Hines, but he did draft Plaxico, Randel El, Holmes, Washington, Wallace, AB, Sanders, Bryant (dumbass), JuJu, Claypool, DJ, Heath, etc.

Both Hines and Plaxico had 1000 yard seasons with Kordell Stewart at QB. Ward made his first Pro Bowl in 2001 with Kordell. They were not "laughed at" before Maddox, they established themselves a full season before he was given the reigns.