1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Unless your 1s are the Bengals or the Browns from 2+ years ago :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason is near his ceiling but Haskins may be also. The "franchise" player usually doesn't end up as 3rd stringer, there's that i guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Good point. I haven't seen enough production from Haskins to definitively say he's better than Rudolph. He looks better. He commands the offense better. But if Rudolph had made just a couple throws in the red zone over the course of the preseason, there wouldn't be a competition, and we could legit say that Mason deserves QB2.

Neither impressed, for different reasons. Neither distinguised himself. Neither made the case that either is a good backup that could be called on to run the team well if Ben goes down.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    True. It all depends on why you think they brought Haskins here. If you think it was to be a backup QB, 3rd string even then I could see why you’d think Rudolph would be named #2.

Otherwise….

5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They're not going to match what Ben gave us, that's for sure. I do think either one could survive round #1 of the playoffs...god damn qb...:mad:...:beathorse:...:herewego!:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Haskins is Tomlin's wheelhouse of troubled players. Popcorn cares about these guys beyond football. Dungy like imo.
    I think he is a candidate for qb, at both #2 & #3. :shrug:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  7. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    QB2 = Mason Rudolph. Congratulations Mason!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Haskins finishes the half with a 2.8 QB rating Any questions?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs left with turf toe, so maybe he gets stashed on IR.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ok, well hopefully we can finally put to bed the notion that Haskins is the franchise savior and heir apparent to Ben based on a few pre season games that he threw a few TD's against 2nd and 3rd stringers. As I said previously, show me how he fares against the starters and then I will get excited. Well, we obviously got a glimpse of that tonight. Nothing more than a 3rd string QB for the time being.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    The thing about Haskins that i noticed, even on his college highlight film where everyone looks good.
    He hardly ever threw over 10 yds.

He needs alot of work, he has no confidence in the pocket.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Something's can't be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Well, that's that. Mediocre Mason is the backup, Haskins is the reclamation project that took a nosedive last night.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That has been my issue with him all preseason. I simply am not impressed by someone who can check it down competently. Any NFL QB, even fringe ones, should be able to do that. I was really hoping to get to see Haskins take some shots last night. Even more disappointing than the actual performance to me is that Haskins hardly even attempted any real throws. He had the sweet one leading McCloud that McCloud couldn't haul in in bounds. I think he had one other deepish throw. That was it. I really thought we would at least see him attempt to do something to win the backup job. I'd have rather see him try and fail than simply not even try.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m not looking to defend him, and I’m only hopeful for him because of the feel-good/redemption aspect, but the Steelers’ o-line gave him poor protection last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I agree. They weren't good. I wanted to see Haskins come in right after Ben in the last game to get a better read on him. I am not going to write Haskins off because of last night. It was a bad performance but it was also not a great situation for him. I just continued to see what I have seen all preseason, at least in the games: a guy who does almost nothing but dump it off. While I won't write him off after last game, I have not seen anything from Haskins to think that he is going to be the heir once Ben is gone. To be honest the best thing I saw from Haskins in a preseason game was the incomplete to McCloud last night where he led him down the sideline. That was a sick throw. I wish we had gotten to see him at least attempt more throws like that. Oh well, we can now hopefully forget about the backup QBs until next offseason when we can all get bent out of shape over irrelevant players again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I saw one of the media members said he only throws down field if the WR is college wide open.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    About sums it up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Cowher would disagree.

"(Ben) started his rookie season as the third quarterback on the depth chart behind veterans Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch. When Batch was injured in the preseason, however, Roethlisberger took over the backup quarterback role."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I was rooting for Haskins, I felt he earned his opportunity last night. Unfortunately he didn't take advantage of it and fell flat on his face. I kind hope he gets a shot to redeem himself at some point in the season or next off-season. But as of now, he's QB3 or PS worthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    MASON VS DETROIT. 13 of 18 for 138yrds. 0TDS

Everyone: Mason solidifies #2

HASKINS VS CAROLINA

9 of 16 for 108yrds 1TD 1INT

if you add in the 22 yard pass that Ray Ray dropped and the beautful 15 yard pass that Ray Ray didn't get his feet down

11 of 16 for 145yrds 1TD 1INT

Everyone: Haskins is garbage

Yes I added in 2 plays that Haskinsb did his job and Ray Ray didn't.....I got a case of the would a could a should a's

But the fact remains that as bad as Haskins looked .. he still put up the same type #s that every one thinks makes Mason the clear #2.

2021 Preseason totals
    MASON.
    27 OF 36 FOR 299 YRDS. (11.7 PER)
    0 TD 0 INT
    9 points scored

HASKINS
    37 OF 58 for 379 YRDS. (10.25 PER)
    2 TD 1 INT
    45 points scored

I think this is a closer battle than most think it is. Like I said in another post.. I might go Mason if Ben goes down in a game... but I think I go Haskins if Ben goes down for multiple games.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Shame, Shame, Shame...LOL I knew someone out there would be trying to make something out of that last minute TD in the Carolina game... Check the end of the game thread if you want to know what I really thought.

2.8 Passer rating with the #1's is all you need to know about Haskins NFL performance.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  23. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll take Haskins over Dobbs, but I still place Mason over Haskins. Everyone talks about system QBs and that actually isn't a bad thing. I think Mason is a system QB that can play very well and win playoff games with the right people around him. A system QB is one who has as certain level of talent, but has to be cerebral within that system. Mason checks those boxes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    They way I see it, Haskins will remain on the roster. The depth chart may even say Mason is BU, but it will come down to situational football if Ben goes down with an injury. Most likely a Mason/Duck scenario again with both being on a short leash. I just don't want Haskins to be a redemption charity case the way Vick was brought in.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To each his own.