1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins will Start, Dobbs BU QB.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Aug 26, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who makes the team and who gets traded. 2 is sitting. this is probably set but if something happens there could be a short leash. we have two weeks to look at cuts but i doubt it for this position. somebody will be trade bait.(dobbs). :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I hav no clue why anyone would trade for Dobbs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph haterz are gonna hate!

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Probably just to get some work for the #3 and #4 (practice squad) QBs. If Dobbs is sent to PS, I believe other teams have a crack at him. Can’t see where he would be of value to another team, but he knows the Steelers’ system and there would not be a steep learning curve if he was needed.
    Things can change in a real hurry though. This should be an interesting game to watch, Haskins’ has his chance to impress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they did last year. the rams picked up duck:shrug:. injuries. mobility. veteran. lots of late draft picks. a number of reasons.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    This reminds of the Landry Jones situation a few years ago. Jones didn't play in the final pre-season game so he was considered to be a lock for the #2 QB.
    Dobbs played well in the game and Rudolph was just a rookie so he wasn't going to be cut. So when the final cut came it was Jones who got the axe and Dobbs was the new #2 QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Ben and Mason are locked into the #1 and #2 QB. Dobbs is a lock for at least making the practice squad roster as the scout team QB to help the defense prepare for mobile QBs.

Should be some pressure on Haskins this game, if he plays lights out and gets noticed by other teams there may be phone calls with other teams. If he bombs on Friday Night Dobbs may slide into the #3 QB position and Haskins is up in Canada playing with Ex Steeler and former first round pick Paxton Lynch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Dobbs appears to be where he's always been. I can't see him overtaking Haskins in the depth chart now, so perhaps the game is a final shop window chance.

That said, do you remember when Jonathan Dwyer got all the carries one preseason because we were desperate to trade him? Then we had to release him and I think resigned him a few weeks later because of injuries?

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I forgot about that. I doubt that is the case this time around. But you never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I have nothing personally against Mason but he is what he is. A career back up with little chance of elevating his game to the highest level necessary to take us to the dance. Can he fill in for a game or 2 and lead us to victory? Sure. Can he bring home a trophy if it were to actually come down to needing him to do that? Highly doubtful. I have more faith in Haskins to be able to do that if called upon. This week should show us more though as Haskins will be given the opportunity to really show his skills. If he flounders then we are back at square one as far as the BU QB position is concerned.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I wonder if the Steelers are showcasing Haskins? I could see someone giving up a 4th or 5th for him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It very well could be a battle for #2 as both guys have had good camps and Ben really likes Dobb's and Mason not so much .. I think we will be able to tell a lot by the play calls and designs .. I expect to see more of the mobile QB stuff if not and it's mostly pocket stuff then Haskins and Dobbs are in a battle for #3 IMO .. My take on that would be we intend to run the Ben style even if Ben goes down Mason is the best fit so far for that ..

If the new OC is looking to run more mobile stuff in the future and Dobb's plays well they may not want to risk getting him to the practice squad as he would be the best fit as a #2 under that system..Well he would actually be the #1 this year , but Ben is the guy so the Matt style Offense is on hold mostly..

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was finally able to watch the 2nd half of the Lions game since NFL Network cut it off at halftime on Saturday. Haskins didn't look good at all. Of course he was playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers. Haskins better step it up vs. Panthers. Rudolph had one awful throw that I remember that should've been picked.... Haskins had several bad throws. If Rudolph can figure how to NOT throw behind WRs and TEs on short to mid range throws... he'd be legit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they are showing dobbs for a draft pick and giving haskins field time in the offense. mason is the #2 until he shows he's not moving the team. at that point haskins will be 1 b. lets just hope ben stays healthy. all this #2-3 stuff will be more of a concern next year unless ben comes back. if he has a good showing this year he just may. these fans making the statement that mason is a career backup and will be nothing more are jumping the gun. mason has never had a qb coach as good as he does now. let the process play out because it may surprise you. both backups should be helped by him. that's good for the team going forward. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Trouble for Haskins and Dobbs is.... who will they be throwing to? My bet is Haskins makes it as #3, I think he has too much potential upside to just release him..... where Dobbs is nothing special/expendible

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    James Washington..... This could be his Showcase type of game if he still wants to be traded.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    For Benny Snell too. His future in the NFL will probably depend on this game.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They have let him go already.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I bet they wish they could have done that over again, if I remember the season correctly.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would also think this could be Gentry's last game with the Steelers if he doesn't show something.

Rader has shown he deserves the roster spot this preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep going back to something Tomlin said about Dobbs in response to reporters asking about the backup spot and he said “man, you keep asking be about Haskins and Rudolph but this guy here isn’t going away, he’s where we expect him to be at this point of his career” paraphrasing but thats the gist, no one prodded him for that. That sounds more that the usual lip service.

I guess it’s also possible they keep 4 but I don’t think they have ever done that. Most teams don’t even keep 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    will any first teamers play with Haskins

24. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I was reading that Tomlin plans to play the starting O Line for at least the first quarter because they haven't had a chance to play together a lot. Snell will be the feature back, Harris won't play. Juju and Johnson won't play. So we will see a lot of Ray Ray and Sexton battling for a spot.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I want to see what Haskins grows into, lm just not willing to lose Mason at this point to find out.

• Agree Agree x 1