1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Schobert can't cover WRs, either

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The coaching, once again, will be the downfall of this team.

pLaYErS hAVe To ExECutE :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Minkah was out of there. Lol.

3. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Minkah looked like he was sprinting for the sideline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He also got a ride for a few yards, more like drug along the ground.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Part of the problem with a Lebeau defense is that emphasis is put on stopping the run and is highly dependent on the ILB's and Safeties communicating with one another. What you end up with is guys staring into the backfield thinking the will sprint toward the LOS and make a huge hit and missing their assigned coverage zone and the players in it. So you can have Perriman start out in Bush's zone who then hands him off early so he can get into the backfield Schobert starring into the backfield then going oh crap when he had already lost his man meanwhile Edmunds and Minkah are looking too instead of playing their responsibility. Bad scheme bad coaching and bad execution.

And not to pile on bit those garbage time drives late in the game Saturday that saw the Lions get 1st downs on 3rd and forever were due to breakdowns in contain where guys saw a QB scrambling and wanted to light him up. Not a smart play and left huge holes for the QB to run through.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    most corners can't cover perriman either. the guy has been here for 6 days. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Fair point, but Schobert's failure wasn't that he couldn't cover Perriman. He sat down, flat footed, and let Perriman hit top speed before turning his hips. He was instantly in trail with no help over the top. Not sure if he should have opened up earlier and played inside leverage, but he was beat before the ball was snapped. Bad scheme, bad communication, bad execution.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    from what i have seen of schobert he has good coverage insticts, so for this first game i'm going to give him the theory that he is thinking in this new defense first at this point. the more comfortable he gets the more his natural insticts will work for him. he's a 4.7 guy so most wr's will leave backers in a trailing situation. he shouldn't be covering wideouts with no help anyway. if he's supposed to we will have huge problems that we have had in the past. they need to change this thinking. :cool:

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Questions?? Will I have 2 points out every time we do this 2 another team this year??? It's called scheme. We do this . Everyone does this. Yes You can communicate and help, but the offense does not wait for this.

10. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Huh? You lost me on that one, brother.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Ball must've been thrown short and to they right. Really looks like he is making a break on a ball carrier.

But yeah. Not the matchup we want to see happening too often this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well I didn't get to see the game but it looks like every guy on the screen got beat..The crosser came wide open the slot WR made a double move and got behind his man and the outside WR hit a double move and went past his guy.. All 3 defenders tried to hold and couldn't the QB had multiple choice of which throw he wanted to make..

edit ..well the crosser never held he never got close enough to hold him..

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When we get a wr on a ILB. We do it 2 people. All teams do. What I'm trying 2 say is we are not the only D this happens 2

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not think korzoras tweet was blaming the LB, think he was pointing out the obvious misplaced S.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    And blaming Butler for a years long problem that has never been addressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Read this thread. This isn't about getting caught in a last second shift or miscommunication, this is the design of the defense. Who else does that?

17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Absolutely right

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Ahhh, English. Much better. Your previous statement sounded like you were having a stroke.

• Like Like x 3
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

tells the story. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    rushing 6 without getting there doesn't help.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The remnants of Dom Capers and Dick Lebeau defense still haunt this team to this day. And listening to Butler speak tells me all I need to know about him ever getting a clue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    That's scary, tbh. It's putting scheme over putting players in the best position to succeed. I commented earlier about Schobert standing flat footed and not turning his hips quick enough to gain inside leverage. I now think he did exactly what he was instructed. He and Spillane both sat down in the same zone and waited for the WR to enter before reacting. They were both passive and looked into the backfield with more of a run support role than of coverage. And both of them were neutralized by the scheme. If it had been a handoff, they were too deep to break and meet the ball carrier at the LOS. They were available to support the run defense, but not make the play for no gain. And against the pass, they don't have the speed to cover in trail. Again, I think Schobert played it like he was supposed to. That result had very little to do with him being new and very much to do with a defect in scheme.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That Spillane clip he needs to do something to interrupt the timing of that route. If all he was going to do is run with the guy it's a big mismatch. If he jams him at least it slows him up and allows Spillane to get better positioning.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do we not have a Middle finger button on here??:shrug::shrug: I see a thumbs up, but not what I'm looking for. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3