1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the lions game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Aug 23, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Najee is gonna be a highlight machine
    2. Ben was sharp overall..... Too much air on the long completion to DJ...... If he catches him in stride we have a highlight reel touchdown.
    3. Am I the only one that holds his breath every time a pass goes to Ebron????
    4. I'm feeling really good about our special teams coverage units
    5. Alex highsmith is gonna have a monster yr
    6. We will get the defensive triple crown this season
    7. Ray Ray did not do enough IMHO to hold off any of the udfa's
    8. Oh the joy of Sexton!!!!!
    9. Friermuth should be the starter
    10. O-line should be good enough

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Yes, 9 times.

First, I want to thank you for #4. Haven't heard enough glowing praise of the job the coverage units did. That was exciting.

But, I'm not sold on how good this OL will end up. Way too much in play at the moment, and none of it truly inspiring. They could end up anywhere from bad to pretty good when it's all said and done. No way of knowing. With that said, I don't know if they're going to be good enough. I can't go that far, yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree on the O line. After what I’ve seen so far, I’d rather roll the dice with Moore as the starting LT and have Chuks be the swing tackle. Heck I might even have Haeg be the backup RT, and Chuks back up the left side. I was a bit relieved at what we saw from Turner after a rough game against Philly. I think between Dotson and Turner we should be set at guard, barring injury of course. I also think Banner will be adequate at RT. It’s LT and C that have me concerned right now (despite a handful of solid run blocks by Green).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Couldn't agree more. They got pushed around a bit too much against Detroit. Some plays didn't look too bad, and they held their blocks long enough for rush lanes to appear. Other plays just got blew up. Might be them just not getting enough playing time together. Pass protection wasn't as bad, but I rarely saw a solid pocket. They battled and kept Ben upright, and that's encouraging. I think he got hit once. Work in progress.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A few additional observations that I have:
    1. Ballage should easily win the #2 job at RB.
    2. McFarland is looking like a small, fast college guy who doesn’t have enough juice to make an NFL roster (hope I’m wrong).
    3. Spillane looks significantly worse at LB than last year. I see a massive difference between our 2 starters at ILB and the guys behind them.
    4. Cam, Tuitt and Alualu PLEASE stay healthy…. Loudermilk has potential, but I don’t think he’s game ready. The rest of them are OK for spot play here and there, but if we have an injury the replacement may be a huge liability IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree 100% with Loudermilk. His potential is very noticeable but will not be fully realized until 2022. He is in serious need of an NFL Weight Room.

Regarding the Offensive Line, as I have stated in perpetuity all Off Season long, it is going to take some time. Continuity is essential for a successful unit; Offensive Line or otherwise. That said, this unit is progressing far better than even I thought. Should be by about Week 7 or so that much of the major kinks be ironed out barring injury.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    weakest part of offensive line. 1. Chucky at left tackle, 2. Green at center but I think he will get better as the season goes. Saw him get push back too much on pass plays. 3. Don't think Banner is 100% yet at right tackle, hopefully he doesnt get reinjured and I think he will get better also as the season goes.

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with all 10 lines. For me that's rare. Line 10 was the only if for me. But you worded it perfectly. should be good enough.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with all 4 of these lines as well.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Along with Highsmith, if Ingram continues his intensity when he spells Alex and TJ the opposing Ol's are in for some very long days.

11. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Highsmith is a monster, gotta like that guy.
    Ballage is my # 2, he obviously has some agility that the other backups dont.
    I like Harris, but for some reason thought he would look bigger out there, oh well he still gets the job done.
    The recent draft picks have been better it seems than previous years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    On Spillane...I'm sure he sticks because of his special team play.... but as an ILB... for me he is on the outside looking in.

Bush, Schobert, Allen, Buddy.... if I go a 5th I'll take UG3s athletic ability

For me its 9 LBs.
    Bush, Schobert, Allen, Buddy inside

Watt, Highsmith, Ingram, Roche, Jones outside.

HACK

13. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I hope your #1 is right.
    I had the 9th pick in Fantasy Football and took him.

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020