1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben/ OC wrinkle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bend Steel, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    Howdy y'all!
    SUPER rare for me to start a new thread, but I saw this quote and it really made me either hella worried or incredibly confident. Lots of talk about BB, his health his elbow, his salary. Lots of old talk about Fitchners ineptitude. Read the highlighted sentence and tell me if you think this a good change or a bad change and why. Suffice to say, this a BIG difference on gameday.

"We have a new system," said Roethlisberger. "There's a new coach to player communication in terms of a new guy. The offense is different. He's up in the box as compared to on the field. There is a lot of newness. I think it's prudent to get as much time as I can under those circumstances."

Thank You all for your time and attention...unless of course you are short on both like myself. In that case go ahead and beat me up for my stupid thread. LOVE YINZ GUYS!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Being old also makes me old fashioned so I would like to see the coach on the sideline. However I also see the advantage of the coach being able to see the whole field from up above. Maybe this is what Canada has done in the past and is most comfortable with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Change for the sake of change is rarely ever good. But we need a change on offense. We've needed "some" change for a long time. This year, we need a LOT of change. And boy howdy, we're getting it. Only time will tell if it is a good thing or not, but if you ask me, moving your happy behind to the box and leaving the HC on the sideline is a step in the right direction. Ben probably has to get used to the distance as well. He can't get in the OC's ear hole whenever he wants to. Canada can tune him out if he feels like it.

All in all, I'm okay with whatever Canada does...until it doesn't work. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is nothing more disappointing than a box lunch. Just Facts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think both Coordinators should be in the box I love the change. No better way to see how the play develops than from that vantage point.
    I know they can get videos or pictures to the sidelines quickly, but it's not the same.
    I really like this news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I’ve been saying since the Todd Haley days that the O coordinator should be up in the box cause they can see the alignments better. Oddly though, I don’t feel the same way about defensive coordinators. I would rather them be closer to the action on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I welcome it. I’ve always felt there was an advantage to a bird’s eye view. Whether that actually will translate to wins, I have no idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I have no issue with Canada calling plays from the both. I actually think having a bird's eye view is beneficial to the OC. Communication wont be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I want to see the fights on the sideline when Ben changes the play to a quick pass from the shotgun formation for the 15th time that game.

"Ben that is not the play I called!!!!"

• Like Like x 4
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I always prefer the coordinators in the booth. Sideline comes off as amateur. Just like Finchtner.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Unless You are playing in NE

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Its not like he's pigeonholed into staying up there if it doesn't work. When Ben is on the field, his helmet speaker is only on for the same amount of time no matter where the OC is. Ben can put the headset on when he comes to the sideline. Canada can probably take better notes and have his tendencies better laid out up in the booth but that's jmo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I thought Ben was the offensive coordinator.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't care where the coordinators are located during the game, as long as it produces the best results for that coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    But like STD said, keep your eye on the Hoodie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Speaking of the Hoodie.
    Did You see his Patriots gave up 0 points 2 the Eagles tonight??? Nothing, nada, zilch.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right! I missed that, old and tired brain.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hoodie may be back on top before too long. Mac Jones and Rhomandre Stevenson look to be really good draft picks. Stevenson was my draft crush this year, he’s having a great preseason. it’s just preseason but I thought the guy was a sure thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not only is Canada up in the box but he's north of the border as well. :hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Whisenhunt was the last O coordinator up in the box. Good things happened, IIRC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Gotta be careful being up in the box. Call it "wearing a headset" if you want, you still need protection.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Unless we’re in New England

• Agree Agree x 1