1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really by % Ben was above level on the Deep ball on the Left and Center part of the Field.
    It's his right side of the field Deep ball was so bad it dropped His percentage. You can go Look and track the throws.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Rudolph always threw a nice deep ball. That was really his #1 bread and butter play that earned him big stat lines in college. Throw deep and let JW or Ateman haul it in. The NFL requires a QB to throw the full route tree, and I’ve seen very little of him throwing the critical intermediate passes with zip and accuracy All I can do is hope that what we saw vs. the Browns was indicative of real improvement, and not just Mason’s career best (past and future) performance.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have a lot more faith now that we have a good proven qb coach here. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Points scored off QB drives
    MASON 0 /HASKINS 33 / DOBBS 7

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  5. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I agree Haskin looks calm and in control. He just looks like what he is, an NFL QB.
    But, Mason was probably playing against the better athletes and behind less protection.
    The line got better as the game went on, so goes the QB play.

I would like to see them reverse their order for the next one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

What I had been stating all along albeit in different context. Synder and his Circus Show of a Franchise did not help. Ron Rivera expedited Haskins' Career to near doom. Tomlin just might have brought it back from the brink.

Still too early to tell if Haskins has finally put it all together; much of it even. That said and, again, he is in better standing than he ever thought possible had he been in Washington. Should this all work out and Haskins can live up to his Top 15 Draft Status, it will be all but impossible not to place the likes of both Tomlin and Colbert as First Ballot locks; highway robbery in its purest form while being yet another infamous blunder for the Washington Football Team.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Love Rudolph, but Haskins won the job. It's over. Now let's play him against first teamers the rest of the preseason games.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Guys Haskins is literally doing this against 3rd/4th stringers. He’s done what has been asked of him and has shown promise but let’s not overreact here. If I am TOMLIN, pending the plan with Ben the next two games, I’m getting Haskins in earlier to see him play vs better competition

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s also doing it with third and fourth string players on his side.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He's also got UPS drivers blocking for him and he's throwing to Rico the Busboy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben's playing against the first teamers next week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    those UPS drivers delivered. mason also had two drives killed with penalties from guys that didn't drive for UPS but maybe should. moore and dotson played well while haskins was in there. okrafor not so much when mason was in there.:cool:

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our OL is going to take some time, They will have to earn the QB's trust.
    I hope they will improve as the season goes on, Kendrick was bull rushed and looked bad,
    They all looked bad on that particular play. I am sure they will get a ribbing when they go
    over the film. This can't happen when #7 is in there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Moore deserves a start next week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes he does. it's night and day difference. the way he plays the run game is really good. he's everywhere making blocks. i have been watching him very closely these two games. another guy that has been playing well is finney at guard and center. haeg had one hiccup in pass protection last night but hasn't played badly. collins did a nice job at LT as well. brandon walton looked good at LG last night. pridgeon didn't look lost even though he hasn't been here but a couple of days. there are some players here, they just need to find the right mix and this line could be a lot better then first thought. :cool:

17. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    So far, I'd keep Rudolph as number 2, but I'm not ready to rule Haskins out yet.

Both of them are serviceable, but neither is spectacular at this point. I keep telling myself the coaching staff must keep seeing something in Rudolph every year that we don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I want to see Haskins and/or Dobbs play a few series with (at least half) starters to get a real feel.

Mason STILL does not instill much confidence in me. Yeah. Nice completion percentage on easy, safe throws for the most part. But in a full game's worth of work now, how many points did he lead the team to?

What?!?! Noooooo! Surely it's more than that! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Fair point but I still want to see him perform vs higher level of competition before I’m sold.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think at worst Haskins earned the right to relieve Ben next week. I'm not ready to deem Haskins the heir apparent to Ben like some have. But it appears that he's making the right steps to achieve that. It was just a couple of quarters. I definitely need to see more of Haskins before I hop on a wagon.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is my thought. Don't rush it. Keep the momentum going though.

I do believe Haskins earned the #2 spot for now. Keep the competition strong and the pressure on.

I do think Haskins can be really good if groomed the proper way, and I think Tomlin is a good fit to help make that happen.

It all comes down to Haskins and what we saw last night was a huge positive

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Probably little chance of finding that out during the preseason.

24. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    That’s true Glenn and that’s why it’s so tricky. I think you can have a relatively fair competition vs him and Mason though and as of right now I’d lean Haskins as number 2. But to your point the only way we will know if Haskins might really have something is if Ben gets hurt in the regular season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again like last week I feel that Mason did exactly what was asked of him and I thought a few times he could have made better choices on his reads.

Haskins was better creating offense from chaos and working it to put points on the board.