1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They might keep all 4, which way is Ben's over/under moving?

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe they can get more draft picks for dobbs. Just keep bringing him back every year to get extra picks. what a concept. :hehehe::cool:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was thinking the same.
    Trade him again. Then when he can't beat anyone out on the other team again. Bring him back , and try 2 do it all again until teams quit falling for it.
    I can tell You one thing. In the SEC we loved 2 play Dobbs. That's why I was flabbergasted when We drafted Him.
    Some Day people will watch football enough 2 know running ability, and a Strong arm doesn't make a Qb.
    Mike Vick one of the fastest , and strongest Arm Qbs in the NFL ever. 2 playoff wins. The excuses they didn't know how 2 use Him.
    What !!!! 3 Football teams and like 6, or 7 Head coaches yet nobody knew how 2 use Him. LoL. That's just one example. I could be here all night giving more.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    It’s only 1 game but I liked “the potential” of what Haskins showed versus Mason. Mental off the field character aside (hopefully he can get this straight because this is a deal breaker for me). Haskins’ bootleg action, mobility with his feet and just overall read progression I thought was better. I would have liked to seen him throw more vertical because I also think he has the better arm. Mason is consistent, Haskins has the potential to be more, unfortunately he did not take advantage of the golden opportunity he had in Washington but hopefully has learned from his past. This race has made preseason games worth watching.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I would take the approach of the thinking that athletes can change and evolve, he offers more w his athleticism thatn HAskins or Mason, and, I am willing to take the arrows that are coming my way, he offers more to the QB room, offers more w PA, offers more outside the pocket throwing or running, right now, I think he 3 locked up and if he outplays in the next preseason games he cld be 2. (playing golf I learned that you can learn new things that will make you better past college and early twenties

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We shall see. I do know he had a wide open TE in the end zone that he never saw, but let's let that one go, and see what he's got in more preseason . I do know this , if they keep just making him play against the scrubs , then more than likely He will be gone. Because that shows what they really think of Him. Unless they keep 4 Qbs.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree about dobbs. I just don't understand what exactly haskins has done to garner all this fame. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    PWP wants to use him to confuse defenses rather than us a guy who can actually play quarterback. It’s a brilliant approach. Between that and 5 guys named Mo on the OL and defenses will be baffled.

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, i know. this ain't HS football. dobbs though looked to me to be pretty smooth while running the offense. not a lot of difference between them all but the two that have been here seem to run it smoothly. haskins did nothing to make me think he's the new #2 except he had a nice scramble. it doesn't mean the others couldn't do that at some point. let the preseason evolve before we make these judgements. one little run and he's jumped two other qbs already. please.

the line we used didn't look outclassed either. again let the process play out. that was no more then the first scrimmage of the year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    In the SEC we loved to play Tennessee as a team, not because of Dobbs. That program was a dumpster fire since Fulmer left. Vick's Falcon teams should have won more but they are The Falcons. Vick was a better QB than some folks realize. Were it not for the dog fighting thing, I think he would have surprised his naysayers. I was a season ticket holder (for entertainment purposes) and got to see him play most games at home.

I have not seen enough of Dobbs at the pro level to render an adequate critique of him. They keep brining him back, so maybe something is there that we are not aware of.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Loved playing Dobbs.
    The Vick thing. Will have 2 agree 2 disagree. 2 playoff wins in ...what 13 years on 3 different teams. Also Atlanta went 2 a SB right be4 he came, and after He left. So You can talk about Atlanta being a bad team all You want. Bunch of teams out there wish they could say that.
    Yes Tennessee hasn't been good in a long time, and I hope they stay that way:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    But when has he performed well against 1st string defenses? I'm not knocking him. I think he's as viable an option as we have right now at backup. No one is really impressive at this point. But to give him credit while playing against inferior defenses isn't helpful. If he was QB2 material, he should be lighting up defenses in the 4th quarter of preseason games. He isn't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Vick had three different head coaches in six year in The A. That is a disaster for failure with any program. He had to sit out two years for the dog thing and then went to a marginal Philly team. We'll have to disagree but I saw him play in person and knew some folks who were close to their program and they think otherwise.

15. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    It was just one preseason game, same order next game, but that is a valid point, couple of things: the window is closing on Dobbs, two roster projections that are credible had it Ben, Mason, Haskins,

But, albeit a small sample size,he is leading all qbs in camp w completion percentage and YPC, after 10 days Dobbs is at 77% completion, throwing roughly 12 yards per catch

Haskins: 22/41 53 % 9.8 ypc
    Mason: 30/44 68% 9.8 ypc
    Dobbs: 17/22 77% 11.9 ypc

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The talent level Dobbs is playing against works both ways, he is also playing with 3rd string talent.

At this point, with the experience he has, he is doing what’s has is supposed to be doing. Now if he was coming out and stinking against these guys, he’d be getting cut for sure.

But right now, with his preseason game and overall performance in camp, he’s giving them something to think about. He needs to do it every preseason game he plays in though, I don’t think he has any rope.

The reason I think he could sneak in is because of where he and Mason are at mentally with their careers. Dobbs knows his future in the NFL is as a BU, after 5 years, I don’t think he has any illusions of being a starter. I think he would genuinely be comfortable in the roll of a BU, he likes to help people, help people prepare, be on the sidelines during game, you see him talking to Ben often, not sure I have seen Ben and Rudolph huddling like that.

Rudolph still believes he is a starter in this league and if he loses the # 2 to Haskins, that’s not going to sit well with him. So if the Steelers see him as a BU only, do you go with the guy who embraces that roll or the guy that cost more and doesn’t want to be a BU. From a talent level, I really don’t think there is much separating Rudolph and Dobbs, I’d actually give the edge to Dobbs because he is more athletic. So, you choose the cheaper option and the one happy in that roll.

And Haskins, short of completely imploding, he’s going to be the number 2. They want to develop him and see if he can take over next year, that’s not going to happen as the #3 QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So one play for 22 yards, his only attempt and completion of the game and you think I am crazy which did give him a QBR of 118. The week before that he came in while we were ahead and completed 1 of 2 attempts for a minus 3 yards - QBR 56.3. Then of course the Raiders game I was referring to, he was 4 of 9, 24 yards, 1 INT, and QBR of 12. Yes, those numbers scream best of the backups.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All I can say is . LoL

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :shrug:

20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    He's not Mason Rudolph? :shrug:

Forget the old saying of how the most popular QB in Pittsburgh is the backup. Lately, it's been the backup's backup. And not without reason either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Did i read Mason thinks he's a starter in this league? I'm not sure he's a starter in the CFL.

• Like Like x 2
  22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason is better than Jones..I knew Jones had no chance as soon as he was released I said it for years..They are really the same QB with one huge difference..Mason has or had a great deep ball? If you let him manage the game and he hits his deep shots then he can win games..The problem is he seems gun shy and Coach T has eluded to that a bunch this camp..He seems to be playing it safe and that will not keep him in the league long term..I do understand the why though as his real money come if Ben retires and he is expected to replace him..

I actually like Mason, but he has to leave his safe zone if he wants to have a NFL career..OC'S love the long ball so if he shows he is good at it he has a lot of years as a bu in the league...My advice to him would be let it fly if not he may get cut this season..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This sums it up completely. There are pages of debate about whether Rudolph, Haskins or Dobbs gives us the best chance as backup QB. How about none of the above?

I will say that Mason’s last time out in a regular season game was a pretty solid effort. He even made one or two well-time throws on the sideline and hit a couple of guys in stride in the middle of the field, things I hadn’t really seen him do before. That gives me a little bit of hope. But just a little.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree fully elvis. i will also add to that little bit of hope, we actually saw more from him downfield with accuracy last year then ben in that one game. ben struggled all year with the deep ball when he threw it. rudolph was hitting those in the cleveland game. he put a nice ball out there in the HOF game. time will tell if that hope comes to fruition. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Hahaha. I just don't agree on what You said. No Biggie. :thumbs_up: