1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB2 Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Who?

2. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I enjoyed watching Haskins turn a broken play into a six yard scramble. Just the threat of a mobile QB will cause problems for the defense.

If their performance is similar in the preseason, I expect Haskins to be QB2. More athletic and higher upside.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah sure.

5. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know why the love affair with Dobbs. I remember him coming in the Raiders game after Ben went out with an injury. We were ahead, but them Dobbs couldn't get any production out of the offense. Then Ben had to come back in to put us ahead for a potential win. Unfortunately, we did lose that game. I believe it was the same game against the Raiders where JuJu had an amazing finger tip grab/toe tap for a touchdown at the back of the endzone and AB threw an infant tantrum because he didn't get the ball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nobody you ever want to be mistaken for, that’s for sure.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Steelers are still on the Hook to Ben for $36million this year. I think they want to see what it is like when your starting QB is not taking up roughly 20% of your total Cap space. Funny thing is; Ben could be the highest paid QB on the team next year even if he is not on the roster.

Mason will get his shot at the starting job.

I think Dobbs will play his way into the 3rd string QB with the Steelers using the extra 2 Active spots again for 2021 to keep all 3QBs active so Dobbs can get on the field for short yardage situations.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Sorry man but you are crazy. Everyone remembers Dobbs first regular season pass...

In the 4th QTR: Against the ravens Inside the 5 yard line 2nd and 20 and Dobbs comes off the bench and throws a strike down the middle for a 22 yard pick up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben’s cap hit is just under 26 million this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I remember that play. He was clutch there for sure

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I mean, we can basically extrapolate that one play and predict a HOF career.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The reviews on Haskins have been really good or meh, which is odd since everyone has the same tape. His leg-up is his talent and confidence but Mason knows the system and personnel well. I imagine Mason starts over Haskins and Dwayne takes over the QB2 spot quicker. Tomlin has always liked the toolsy players.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope they can trade him, I don’t see why not, they got a 5th for Dobbs.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    OC should cater a Offense to Mason and try and show case him .. I think Dobbs fits the new system best and has gotten much better..Everytime I read a camp report I hear about how wellhe is throwing down the field..The biggest key to me is from multiple different sets and including PA and boots with high/low reads as I suggested years ago that he needed..He has also showed the ability to scramble and score TD'S as well as make good throws from the pocket...

The new OC seems to really like mobile QB offenses and I actually think not only will Dobbs make the Team he will get a hat and he will use him in the games.. I have been suggesting it for years and now I think we have a OC who sees similar to me..

16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    How do you think they're going to use him in short yardage situations exactly? You don't really think that Dobbs is the best QB option we have for short yardage, do you? If the organization keeps Dobbs for short yardage, we're in more trouble than I think we are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Come again? With Ben under contract, we should cater an offense to Mason? What does that look like? 5-10 yard vertical routes with no slants or crossing patterns? Mason can't track/lead properly. Crossing/slant patterns will see him throw behind the receivers or lead them into a free safety.

And Dobbs can't fit the "new" system because it is still Ben's. They aren't similar QB's.

Now, Dobbs might benefit from a revamped OL if it can run block. He has the ability to run RPO's, rollouts, and keepers that would open up with an improved running game. But that isn't this system. It could be implemented if Ben went down and we had to make drastic changes. But that still isn't Dobbs fitting in. It would be Dobbs trying to salvage something.

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep short yardage as I stated many times the running QB makes the D play 11 on 11 ..The mobile QB who can get to the edge forces DE'S to stay home ..All of this leads to more room inside to run less guys crashing from the outside so as a result our short yardage conversion should go way up ...So what you say is trouble has been the solution the entire time..

As far as it being Bens system it is and it's not..Way more pistol,zone read,QB power and Boots being called in camp..A OC doesn't waste time calling those sets unless he likes them, plus look at his College play calling so the future is leaning more that way and we have a QB in camp that fits those styles and is showing he can play well in those styles..

edit ..Cater to Mason for these preseason game make him look good call more complexed plays to confuse the Defense and increase his trade value..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-8-10_15-12-36.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    MT has said same order as the first game.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Okay, that makes a bit more sense, but here's some speculation and opinion coming back your way...

I don't consider Dobbs a "running" QB. Is he the most mobile on our roster? Yes. Is he a running QB? I don't think so. And he's not known for his passing accuracy on the run either. The problem with Dobbs as a running QB in short yardage is that he's not going to threaten the defense beyond 10 yards. He might have the wheels to get to the edge, but a DC could roll coverage, knowing he's not going to be a downfield threat and the edge rushers only need to contain. If it's short yardage, the defense is going to be more compact anyway, taking away underneath routes. Additionally, getting to the edge removes the other side of the field and backside edge/lb/db can crash without fear of a cutback. The inside lanes aren't as pronounced because backside pressure can push in the direction of the play.

I also don't think the OC calling these sets this early means he's going to be calling them as much into the season. Maybe so, but then again, we've seen Ben take the OC reigns and dictate the sets/scheme in the past. And Tomlin can't adjust during a game, so Ben has to. If things aren't going to plan, it's going to be Ben calling the shots and he's not going to be running QB power, boots, or zone reads if it's up to him.

As far as your edit goes, I'm with you on that. I see where you were going with the catering to Mason comment.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All fair points the one I think the most different on is his ability to throw on Boots ..He has had a good or great throw on the move almost everyday according to camp reports and the high/low and route combos are huge for boot concepts.. My favorite target was always the backside TE , I think I have heard of at least 3 big throws to TE'S on boots from camp reports..This also aids in running as who has the TE if it is a boot ? If it's the LB then that's 1 less guy that can just run blitz..

Plus practice makes perfect and he is getting limited reps yet he still looks good ..He also had a a good game with limited practice reps as well.. To me it is clear he has gotten better, I just wonder how much ?

24. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    If I'm wrong about him, and he's actually getting better (something he didn't do in prior years with us, albeit with less opportunity), then I might have to reconsider your position. Let's revisit this closer to the end of preseason and see if I need to change my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1