1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Covid Protocol

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Seven4Steel, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Damn Elvis, sorry about that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Actually they are. By threatening their livelihood and their teams.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They are free to seek employment elsewhere if they can’t live with the rules.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I see that a guy reads some fake news on Facebook or a few reports on the Internet and suddenly he’s a medical expert.
    You say you don’t trust any of the numbers that they throw out there yet somehow you trust that 99.6 survival rate number. How exactly do you decide which numbers you’re going to trust?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Indirectly, yes. But they are covering their butts by stating in the memo that they are not requiring any player to get vaccinated. That's what I was referring to. I'm not on the NFL's side on this issue. I don't like forcing, or indirectly forcing, anyone to inject chemicals into their body. That isn't freedom. But like others have said, they don't have to play professional football if they don't want to give up their freedom of choice.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    They do get tested. BEFORE they cross. Adults without children who test positive are sent away. Those in holding or with children who show signs or test positive are quarantined.

I mean. That's according to DHS, ICE, CPB and U.S Immigration. ALL sound policies put in place by the previous administration. They have not been altered. They have not been changed. They have not been "defunded."

Now, if you're talking about people who sneak across. Well, duh. We can't test who we don't catch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I remember day 2 of basic training. Being lined up in a gauntlet with vaccine guns on either side and getting riddled with shots. I was never told what they were for. I was never asked if I consented. In fact, if I refused, I'd be thrown out of the military in the best case scenario. We didn't have a choice. Forgive me if I cannot sympathize with coddled rich people who might have to (checks notes) miss a season of their own volition at worst if they don't get vaccinated.

Yes. You have freedom of choice. Yes, you also have the responsibility to face the consequences of your choices. No one has the right to play a game for millions. But if they want to, and their employer requires certain things, then they need to follow the terms of employment.

Just like not taking drugs. ;)

But they're not even requiring it. They're still free to not get it and can still play. But if their choice results in harm, they'll face responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I'm sorry to hear what you and your family have been/are going through. If it were emphysema or pneumonia or cancer, the feeling would be the same. We love our families and friends and suffer when they suffer.

The difficulty is that we all have different experiences with this. Me personally, I was lucky, if you want to call it that. I was asymptomatic. My workplace got it. I was told to go get tested. I had no symptoms. I tested positive. My wife got tested because of me. She tested positive. My 79 year old mother who is not in the best of health to begin with tested positive, likely because I gave it to her. We all self quarantined. None of us had symptoms. A month or two after testing positive, my wife's taste changed. She lost taste for a while and when it came back, things tasted different. A year later, she still has minor taste issues. But that's it. None of us took up a hospital bed. None of us suffered. So my experience, not social media or the government, tells me a different story than yours.

Political bias aside, that's a big part of what makes us look at this differently. Many of us have such a vastly different personal experience with it. And when our personal experience aligns with our beliefs (aka political bias), it makes it very difficult to agree with the other side's point of view.

But again, prayers out to you and your family. I wish you all the best.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I was in that line as well. But you and I both swore an oath and signed away our rights to become a member of the armed forces. We waived our rights as citizens and became bound by the UCMJ. Before you stood in that line, you became property of the branch of service you enlisted in. There's a difference between the line you and I stood in and being a professional football player. But I do understand the point you are making, regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes. And we knew that going in. We signed on the line. That was our moment of choice.

They have one too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't even watch politics, or care ( I think they are all kinda funny, and not hahah), but I do know this just from years of reading, and researching, and not the internet.

We have drugs every year taken off the shelves, and pharmacy that are known now 2 be Harmful, and they were in clinical trials, and tested way, way longer than this Vaccine they threw together.
    So ....., and I hold no hate , or animosity against anyone who has ,or hasn't taken it.
    Each 2 Their Own.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    not at all. It’s still their choice.

13. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I don't think any of them signed up for this. None of us did.

Edit:

Wait a minute. They 100% didn't sign up for this. And they aren't employed like you and I are. They are employed by a negotiated contract. That contract spells out what is required of them. It spells out what they can and can't do, what the NFL can dictate, and what will happen if they break the contract.

That's why the NFL CAN'T tell them to get vaccinated. Wearing masks can fall under "uniform" which the NFL can modify at its discretion, per contract.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I stood in that line also and knew the consequences of not following orders but this is a bit different. The players have a union and I have not heard the NFLPA make a statement on the issue. This is clearly a bargaining item since it affect working conditions and pay.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    And THAT is why I started this thread. I knew it would get off topic and get political, but that wasn't the intent. The issue is how fair this is going to end up being for teams/players when it's all said and done and more specifically, how bad the Steelers are going to get screwed as a result. As one of the most vaxxed teams, we are still in jeapordy of losing a game and being severly punished if a single unvaxxed player ends up contracting the virus. That player could have gotten it from a vaxxed outbreak. The rub is that the NFL is okay with the spread of the virus as long as it happens through vaxxed players. That's just not okay in my book.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m just going to follow Ray around and hit the like button because God damn he is on point.

You service members, is it true you got an anthrax shot, too? I don’t know why but that just strikes me as funny, “oh, and here is your anthrax vaccine too” *plunges needle into your butt*

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    After refusing to receive a vaccine for COVID-19, Rick Dennison and the Vikings have parted ways, multiple sources told ESPN’s Courtney Cronin on Friday. Dennison, who spent the last two seasons as Minnesota’s offensive line coach and run game coordinator, is believed to be the first NFL position coach to part ways with his team after choosing not to receive a vaccine, which is required for all NFL Tier 1 staff, including coaches, front-office executives, equipment managers and scouts. Players are not required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine but will face strict protocols during training camp and throughout the season that vaccinated players will be able to forgo.

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    And another - and probably not the last: Patriots’ co-offensive line coach Cole Popovich won’t be with the team in 2021 in a decision related to the COVID-19 vaccine and NFL guidelines, according to @mikereisspatriots.

19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Are these coaches getting fired? The wording is vague, I suppose out of fear of getting sued. I can't imagine making it a workplace requirement to take a non-FDA approved, unprecedented mRNA vaccine that is blowing up the VAERS database, but here we are.

20. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Pretty sure it was in a package "shot" into our shoulder. They used big, silver gun-looking devices. "Don't flex, don't move at all." Guys weren't always able to heed that warning and the shot would rip skin as they would "administer" the shot before the guy actually stopped walking forward. And once it happened, there was another guy 5 feet away ready to shoot you with something else in the same spot. No way you weren't tensed up at that point. Needless to say, there were a lot of bloody servicemen walking through the line that day. Hygiene be damned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minnesota is a right to work state so regardless of wording you can be let go for any reason or just because you look unhappy. Been threatened with that several times over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    There has to be a better way. I have no idea what it is, but there's just got to be. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I think you're using the wrong terminology. Right-to-work means the state doesn't require union membership as a condition of employment. What you're referring to is an at-will state where the employer or employee can terminate employment for any reason or no reason at all...except something illegal.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was going with what my company calls it, I always that the term was backwards since it is more like you said right to fire for no reason at all although most places I have been employed by like to have a nice paper trail to avoid unnecessary legal problems afterwards

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    There's no solution that will make everyone happy.

Best they could do is allow players who don't want to get vaxxed to take a season off with pay. I doubt they'd do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.