1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot of reality... Kendrick Green

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lets see. JC looked bad all last year. They say Finney let himself get out of shape.

So yeah ... I rooting for Green to get the starting job.

I don't see why he can't come in and, at the very least, compete for DeCastro's spot.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Glass is always half full ...
    Unless some SOB comes by and knocks it over.:smiley1:

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    1 other point is how does a Healthy young and strong Green compare to a old busted Pouncey? Not a knock on Pouncey just a better way of looking at it.,If Green must start day 1..IMO he has a very good chance of playing as well or even better than the old hurt Pouncey .The truth is we probably have multiple options with that real potential..

IMO Pouncey has been below average for a few seasons ...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    4E70BFEA-F69F-4434-955C-1C7E878A2F96.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also like Green ...Ragnow played Guard for The Razorbacks. If I remember correctly about Half and Half of his time was Guard, and Center.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll drink to that.

:drinks:

By the way, half empty or half full depends on if you are drinking or pouring.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I expect Green to play above the line this season, nothing more nothing less, why is that so hard to believe? Saying he could possibly be solid after a few years is laughable.

Would people have the same concerns had we drafted Humphries? IMO, Greens tape is just as good and he is better suited for what the Steelers want to do with the line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    finney lost weight since he's come back here. between he and green we should be fine. hassenauer is the 3rd emergency center. finney if he's back to the weight and form he was when here before can play that swing role and so can green if needed. we are in better shape on the interior then we were last season. time and injury had caught up to us and feiler was not a good guard. his spot was RT and that's where he should have stayed. we shall find out soon enough if these guys are the answer. tackle is the spot i most want to watch. will banner be able to move well enough on that knee early on will tell a lot. moore's development will be crucial. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You have unrealistic expectations. Our track record with drafting/developing OL hasn't been the greatest over the years. Chuks is looking like he might be a solid starter after 3 years of development. Similar draft position. Dotson might be the one glimmer of hope. But with that said we still had 3 veteran/pro bowl quality players on the line and had one of the worst last year. Now we are throwing in a 3rd round/position change at center? Finney will be starting Game 1 imo.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I feel that it takes longer to develop at Tackle especially Left Tackle at the NFL level than it does Center and Guard just from what I see how players develop

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I stated this early .. Pouncey was rated as the WORST starting Center last year, and I believe 30th the year before that...

Saying he could be " as good " as Pouncey, Doesn't really evoke a feeling of confidence... Rather I think/hope he WILL be better than Pouncey or DD was last year...If for nothing else from a physical standpoint

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Like I said in the other thread that you posted this in before you needed another look at me thread, you just guaranteed that he will be a stud, all pro and future HOF.

I bet you haven’t looked at one second of his film.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Green is better based off what? Youtube highlights? Nobody was mentioning Green before the draft. He wasn't even a top 5 Center prospect. Now all the sudden we are penciling him in as an instant starter.

It would be great if that happens. Im just not sure that's realistic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Question is what WON'T you drink to????? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I fear that if/when they jell, it will be too late and the schedule will be brutal.

BTW, just listened to the latest Terrible Podcast, which was a roundtable of four of their writers. Every one of them has concerns about Chuks, who they basically call soft and not a good fit for what Klemm wants to to do. They have concerns about other guys, too, but none of them liked Chuks.

17. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    No one? :cool:

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I've been wanting to make this thread for a long time because of the delusion I've seen from Steelers fans everywhere regarding this pick. Your comment in the other thread solidified my decision. Now we have a thread on it and if I'm wrong which I hope I am then we have a place to rub it in. I watched some film and like I said I like what I see from him. But just because he looks like Pouncey doesn't mean he's Pouncey.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think all 3 of those starts at center came last year. It is not like we are asking him to play a position he has not played since High School.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-7-9_15-25-17.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Really? Drafting and developing?

Pouncey...
    Foster...
    Starks...
    Gilbert...
    DD...
    Big Al...
    Dotson...

You can say maybe/some years...We didn't use high enough picks, but the thing is they got old and injured at about the same time...But I think we drafted and developed just fine

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I think it’s a timing issue rather than a drafting issue. They drafted Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert high between 2010-12 and have successfully put a series of UDFA’s and late round guys around them since. They have had remarkable consistency with that group. They got old together and now they are in a situation where they have to build and entire line in one offseason.

We could argue that it’s bad planning and they should have drafted a successor for Pouncey and maybe another Tackle in recent years but they were in ‘win now’ mode and chose to prioritise other needs. They also couldn’t have predicted the Covid cap crunch. They’d probably have kept Villanueva and Feiler only for that, they were solid guys that would have kept at least some continuity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed...The Steelers are/were guilty of not drafting OL high enough or earlier in some drafts...But as far as the actual guys they've drafted or developed...I think they've done a good job

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    They way I look at the o-line is this: If they are collectively worse than last year, we will have a better shot at Ben's replacement. If they are better than last year's line, Tomlin's non-losing streak may continue, keeping the hamster turning the wheel. If they turn out to be much better than expected, it will still come down to how Roethlisberger plays.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve had friends who have thrown a tailgate party in the church parking lot before their children’s weddings.

But, I usually wait until the church part of the funeral is over. Out of respect, naturally.

• Winner Winner x 1