1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot of reality... Kendrick Green

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jul 8, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm going to start this with I hope I'm wrong. I like his passion and mean streak. I think with a few years of development he could possibly be solid. But all these Steelers fans are acting like he's going to waltz in and start this year and be a pro bowler are delusional.

Lets start with the facts, he played 3 years at Illinois. He started 4 games in total at center. He played 1 game his sophomore year. If he was so great why didn't they move him to center in 2020? Then he played 3 games in 2020 due to injury.

Pouncey played center his whole life and was a 1st round talent and future HoFer and cost us a playoff game. For comparison, the Saints used a 1st round pick in 2019 and 2020 draft on center and have the 8th best center in the league by most list. We got somebody in the late 3rd round who played 4 games at the position and going to strike gold? This would be more impressive than the AB find imo.

I guess it would be one thing if he was even elite at the other position he played most of the time in college. I go to watch his 1:30 min highlight video on Youtube and half of it is him dancing and hyping himself up. I understand your dancing ability is a very important attribute for a Mike Tomlin team but I'm not sure it bodes well for a position change in the pros.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How dare anyone have hope or optimism.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Being center for the Steelers automatically makes you a star

Just like if your QB for the Cowboys

• Like Like x 2
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    or the ball boy of the Patriots.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 11
    • Like Like x 4
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They probably kept him at Guard as it is more Important than Center in a lot of modern Football schemes ..In the 70's,80.s and early 90's a lot of the run schemes had pulling Centers it has evolved to OG is the main lead blocker in Power trap type schemes..Heck Big Doug played well enough at Center in our scheme..I actually like him better as a pulling Guard , but if he is needed to play Center I think he can....

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-7-8_16-42-38.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    To me it isn't about one guy. It's that you'd have to be delusional to expect what are basically 5 guys at new positions to all pan out at the same time. It seems almost assured that the line is going to have some struggles this year. That said, it wouldn't be all that hard for Green to be better than what Pouncey was giving us by the end.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with @SDOT on this one. If he gets the start day one, that says a lot more about how depleted the Steelers Oline is than it does how worthy Green is.

This isn't necessarily a knock on Green. I like the film I have watched on him. But I would rather give him time to develop than rush the kid into the lineup before he is ready.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is a lot more vids of him then just his junior year..:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Is anybody expecting him to be a pro bowler? If he can come in and be relatively solid that’ll do just fine. Its not unheard of for third round offensive linemen to come in and do fine in year 1. It usually takes them a few years to reach their potential however.

It may be a case of Finney or Hassenauer starting the season at Center with Green getting an opportunity when he is ready, or maybe just when there is an injury.

I have serious reservations about this line and wish they had prioritised it more in the draft but I’m going to get behind they guys they have now.

• Like Like x 5
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    And how dare anyone not share in that optimism.

This is an odd time on this board.

Half of you guys go beyond glass half full. The other half go beyond glass half empty.

Personally I haven't decided whether to drink the koolaid yet, or dump the rest of my glass out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    There is no way Green will do Jack this year unless there has been other OL that have started or done well in their rookie seasons. I'll give the benefit of the doubt until I see something that tells me otherwise. Of course, he kinda has to make the team first so I'll take this one step by step. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Excellent post.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You know it’s not that simple. You post a pretty balanced amount of stuff and I don’t get the least bit aggravated if you post some concerns. Some fans just never have anything positive to say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well the o-line is depleted so we will see. It just makes no sense to me. Fans have been saying for 2 years "hey, pouncey is getting old draft his replacement" We could've had Tyler Biadasz with a year under his belt and start this year. Instead we used that pick on a scat back then use our 1st the next year on a RB. We aren't prepared for anything more and horrible asset management. Everything has gotten so lazy under Tomlin.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    ever hear the phrase...."fake it til you make it" :lolol:

There's not one guy on the o-line that you can point to and say -- "known commodity as a season long starter". All have a question mark from previous injury, position change or from inexperience. But that's how its going to be this year. A couple weeks into the season and we will all be A) pleasatly surprised, B) kind of where we figured but improving, or C) worse than we thought. I honestly don't think anyone is expecting Green to come out and be the next big thing.

I'll be curious how Green does with the longer season if he does start. That may be one good thing about starting off with Finney. Preseason battle AND a longer season? There's going to be changes up and down this line during the season I would imagine. We may not even be done adding to the roster. Maybe DD comes back around week 10?

Everyone knows the o-line is a huge question mark. I think the shot of reality has already been gulped and pissed out.

Didn't a similar draft scenario play out in 2008? They took Mendenhall and Sweed (only OT Tony Hill in the 4th) when later that year they would start Max Starks, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Stapleton and Colon. There were obvious needs on the offensive line and KC/MT responded after the draft that they wanted to add some weapons as a way to minimize the line's inefficiencies. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it.

I'm not saying the season's results will be the same or anything close to it. I'm just commenting on the draft strategy. It seems this year was one like they used in the past. The only difference is they drafted 2 OL this time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I'm always the half full kind of guy during the off-season but become the half empty guy between the preseason games and Week One.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I can't believe I can say this but I couldn't agree more about the foreseeable drafting needs under Tomlin.

19. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was pimping Green, but I felt there were only 2 day one starters at C in the draft. Dickerson and Humphrey ..... anyone else probably needs a little time.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The 2008-09 Steeler team had an O-line the NFL network and other talking heads called terrible. I think the Eagles set some record for how many times they sacked Ben. When Ben was holding the SB trophy he said, "how bout that O-line" directed at the talking heads who disparaged it all season long.

Now normally that would ease my uneasiness about the O-line but Ben's legs were 12 years younger and my glass is 3/4 empty thinking how things will play out.

• Like Like x 1
  21. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    "But all these Steelers fans are acting like he's going to waltz in and start this year and be a pro bowler are delusional."

Are there a lot of people saying this, or is this a straw-man argument?
    Saying that Green this year might be better than Pouncey (former All-Pro) did last year, is not the same as saying people are expecting Green to be an All-Pro this year, or that he will be better than Pouncey at his prime.

Also, bringing up the Saints in the original post is rather confusing.

(1) Considering that Erik McCoy is a top-10 center, why did the Saints also draft a 1st round center in 2020? It is almost like they gave up on someone way too early (like giving up on Green before preseason really starts).
    (2) The Saints did not spend a 1st round pick on center in 2019.
    (3) For the top-9 list I looked at, the players were drafted in every round from 1st to 6th. So downgrading Green for being drafted in the 3rd doesn't mean very much. (Kelly and Ragnow are 1st rounders, but Jones and Tretter are 4th rounders.)

What might be more interesting is: 3 of the top 4 centers are not on the teams that drafted them.
    Might be interesting to find out if those teams gave up on the players too early, or if they don't think top centers are worth the top contracts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I have concerns too, but let's give them a chance. They haven't even played a pre-season down yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Yes there are question marks with Green but if not him whom? Finney was a backup during his last tenure and bounced around since. JC was an undrafted free agent and would be a third stringer on any other team.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Green is probably better than Finney, and Hassenauer why should he sit the bench to start the season?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nobody was saying Green is going to be a Pro Bowl player :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1