1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jun 6, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe that's a case of ...Absents makes the Heart Grow Fonder.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope, I watched every play ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Kordell is the 3rd best QB in Steelers history.

Ben, Bradshaw, Kordell

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Ben, Bradshaw, O'Donnell

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I would take Kordell... and just on stats alone is #3

Neil O'Donnell: 1992 Pro Bowler...12,867 yards passing with 68 TDs and 39 INTs in five seasons... Best season: 2,970 yards passing with 17 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 12 games in 1995...57.1 passing percentage...39-22 starting record... NFL-career best touchdown to interception ratio... 3-4 playoff record, threw for 1,709 yards with 9 TDs and 8 INTs in post season...

Kordell Stewart: 2001 Pro Bowler... 13,328 yards with 70 TDs and 72 INTs in eight seasons... 56.5 percent career completion percentage...Best season: threw for 3,020 yards with 21 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 1997 while rushing for 476 yards and 11 touchdowns... only quarterback in NFL history to pass for 20 and rush for 10 touchdowns in same season... Set then-franchise record for single season completion percentage by completing 60.2 percent of his passes in 2001... Held NFL record for longest touchdown run by quarterback for 17 years... Recorded five touchdowns in a game twice... Rushed for 2,561 yards for a 5.2 YPG average with 35 TDs...46-29 staring record... 2-2 playoff record, threw for 744 yards with 2 touchdowns and eight interceptions in post season... Rushed for 282 yards and four touchdowns in post season...

HACK

• Like Like x 3
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Kordell was decent. The biggest knock on him is his deep ball was NOT very inaccurate. His short and intermediate throws weren’t too bad. But accuracy overall was an issue for him.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess I just imagined all those worm burners and overthrowing 6'5'' Plaxico Burress on short routes.

I'm kidding a little. I really did like Kordell and thought a lot of his criticism was unwarranted. But a lot of it wasn't...

I didn't read through the 7 pages of this thread yet. I'll just say this:

Haskins is 1000x the athlete Rudolph will ever be. So he has an infinitely higher ceiling.

But for a once thought of future superstar, he has not even come close to Rudolph's limited production. And Rudolph's ceiling is right about at N.O.D level.

I do not believe either is our QB of the future. I'd absolutely LOVE for either to prove me wrong.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wonder what you mean by Athlete.

I don't think there is an NFL combine drill out there where Haskins doesn't finish dead last in every race with the current 4 QBs on the team.

Dobbs > Rudolph > Ben > Haskins. In every athletic event if it were held today. Granted Ben may need a bucket of Icy Hot and a month between races, but I still think he would beat out Haskins to not come in dead last. And, yes I know I could have went for the old "BenGay" joke.

Which is funny as this is the same order when measuring their Brain power. (Wonderlic)
    Dobbs (29) > Rudolph (28) > Ben (25) > Haskins (25)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have my Fingers crossed that we will see a Ben vs Mason thread this preseason.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Agility (footwork) and arm strength. But my memory of him in college may admittedly be skewed.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d rather we have a “hope Ben doesn’t retire after this great season” thread. Sadly yours is more likely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That would be better than a post on whether MT should be our HC which is good for at least 15 pages. JK

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know about agility and speed, but in terms of arm talent. Haskins blows Rudolph away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This. Mason Jagoff has a noodle arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    70 tds - 72 ints. That's what always gets me, and the fact that if everyone remembers(I guess some don't)how everybody was talking about how bad our Wrs group was at the time...then Tommy M. steps in , and everyone is talking about how great our Wrs are.
    Just a change 2 Tommy freaking Maddox.
    All of a sudden we got great Wrs.
    Be4 that I was a huge Kordell fan. Hell he was the only player I owned 3 different jerseys by...except 4 Troy P.
    That's why Kordell doesn't rank High on my list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kordell killed the Steelers in big games. 2 TD's and 8 picks during his playoff career. He cost us 2 AFC title games with 4th quarter interceptions. I'll never forget the one against the Broncos just as we were ready to take the lead. We had a first and goal at the 5 with Bettis chewing up big yardage against a gassed Bronco defense. Then Chan Gailey decided to get cute and have Kordell throw on first down and of course it was picked.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I remember Romanski clowning Kordell after that int, that was a bonehead decision by Kordell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m so glad we don’t have a QB anymore that costs us in big games with boneheaded throws.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    At least the one you are hinting at has won 2 SB, and taken us 2 a 3rd.
    Do you honestly believe if Ben had been on some of those teams Kordell was on we wouldn't have won more????

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew that would hook you :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks of Kordell

Statistically he is 3rd all time on the Steelers QB list.

Love him or hate him does not change that fact.

HACK

• Like Like x 1
  22. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree and besides he had a new OC every time we turned around during his time with the Steelers. No consistency to get into a system tailored for him and his style of play.

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Imagine Kordell with some of the young innovative offensive coordinators today. I liked Kordell, I'm just not sure the Steelers ever had the right coordinator to use his strengths and avoid his weaknesses. It's still remarkable what he accomplished.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I have a post somewhere on how horrifyingly bad Kordell actually was. I would link it if I could find it. The stats are undeniable.

The Kordell years were the most depressing, dark times in my sports watching life. I almost completely stopped watching football because not only did I despise him, I almost completely lost faith in the Rooney's and Cowher to run a team. I thought that Kordell must have pictures of one of the Rooney's in a severely compromised position. There was no reason that he should have still been on the team. I never thought he would go away. I still get chest pains and anxiety when I think about it. I'll try to find my post from about a year ago. It's a devastating barrage of evidence against Stewarts complete ineptitude as a starting QB. I actually thought that people would believe that I was lying and think "If he was this bad, they never would've kept him for a hundred years." BUT THEY DID!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He has also won a few. There's a pass to Santonio Holmes that comes to mind.

Stewart may take more criticism than he deserves, but he really only had two good seasons, and he failed miserably in the playoff losses both of those years.

• Agree Agree x 1