1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LET'S GO PENS!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 13, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That’s all folks lol. Hot goalie stealing it for them. Islanders aren’t even good. All you need is a hot goalie in the playoffs these days lol

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I keep watching how slow Jarry's glove side is and I'm thinking they are covering up an injury. Its almost like he can't raise his shoulder. That being said Islanders play cheap ass defensive hockey with no room to skate and no room in front of the net. Just like Trotz Caps teams and when the Flyers used to just knock everyone to the ice in front of the net to prevent scoring

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The people running the league weren't the most gifted goal scorers when they played so they prefer goon hockey unfortunately and reward it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Painful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Great pens team about to go one and done. Pittsburgh playoffs baby lol

6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    NYI hurting me since 1975.

Would love a game 7. I know Crosby has aged but he needs to find his youth for this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So trading Murray and keeping Jarry has been a horrible horrible blunder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Jarry cost us the playoffs

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I honestly felt DeSmith had the better season and Jarry was his same erratic self going back to his WBS days

• Like Like x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    He can’t handle the pressure

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Well that sucked. Early exit again. I wonder if Sully survives this off season

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Pittsburgh been disappointing lately lol

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought last year's bubble and no fans kinda zapped their heart but even this abbreviated season it was like Sully lost the room and the constant stream of injured players hurt them as well. Sully had his staffed fired from underneath him last year and picked for him this season. It will be interesting what Hextall and Burke do

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You have to make a change after yo see that they're clearly shooting at a weakness in your goalie...

Do something to change it up and make them change. You just don't sit there and let them continue to stay on plan for the series...

They went to their #1 and realized he wasn't the answer and went back to the kid. At some point you change it up! Give your team some energy! Personally after the gave up the rebound goal with his glove on his leg, I'd have pulled him last game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Murray was horrid in Ottawa though so i don't know if that would have mattered much.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Finesse just isn't cutting it with this team in the playoffs anymore. The 4th line was playing the best and they were the ones banging around. Taven is a new favorite. Jarry was a huge weakness, just inconsistent.

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah but they knew what Murray's weaknesses were. He had a weak glove hand and wasn't good at handling the puck. Jerry is just so up and down that their is no working on any one issue. I liken Murray's play in Ottawa like going from the Steelers to the Browns. Winning organization to a dumpster fire.

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    When we won in 2016-2017 Murray/fleury played awesome

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Ultimately Hextall and Burke bet wrong on the goalies we had being enough. Be curious what their response will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think they felt Desmith was a good option until the final week when he got hurt. This year in hockey is a lot like football. Limited money and player pool is shallow. I honestly think before Rutherford left he tried to get Fluery back and Vegas wouldn't budge.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Yep trying to get Fleury back definitely did happen. But I'm sure Vegas looked at Jim and said are you crazy?

22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    This. The league started going to a heavier style in '17. The Pens won anyway. I think it convinced Sullivan that a small, and skilled team could continue to challenge every year. He refused to find a place for Ryan Reaves, who would have been a big help against teams that play up to and over the line like the Isles. At different times they had two big, menacing defenseman in Oleksiak and Gudbranson. They didn't fit Sully's puck moving style, so they were dealt, too. I'm of the opinion that Jim Rutherford and Sullivan had a difference of opinion about potential trades, that's why Rutherford bailed. I think he could see the writing on the wall and wanted the team to get bigger, tougher and meaner, Sully wanted it his way. Hextall and Burke needed to be able to evaluate the team. They traded for Jeff Carter, who is big and physical, and he was a scoring machine here. But, the Pens smallish forwards continued to take abuse against the Isles and the refs let the boys play, which I'm convinced the league wants. They want big, tough teams with marginal skill to be able to compete with high scoring, great skating teams. It's dragging the league back in to the clutch and grab era.

Having said all of that, the principle reason the Pens lost this series was the overall poor play in goal by Tristan Jarry. He was terrible today, he wasn't good Monday even if you discount his moronic giveaway that lead to the OT winner, and he was real bad in game one. Sullivan didn't help. He refused to change his lines around to get guys involved. Sid didn't have his best playoff, but Rust and Guentzel were all but invisible. The Isles pummeled Jake every chance they got and largely got away with it. Malkin and the second line, and the fourth line were pretty good. But sometimes, you have to change things up. Geno, basically playing on one leg, was a warrior.

Sullivan has been a great coach, but I think his time has come. As much as I hate to see it, this team needs to get bigger, more physical and a hell of a lot meaner. If they are going to keep Malkin and Sid around and I think they will, they need players that are willing to punish teams like the Isles when they take liberties. I don't think Sullivan is the man to coach a team like that. I'd like to see them get Gerard Gallant. He played that way, and he could score, and he has no problem sending the hounds after jackasses like Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck. It isn't my idea of high end hockey, but I'm sick of watching the Pens get pushed around, and this is the way the league wants it. The powers that be think this is what sells tickets. If Hextall fires Sullivan, I think this team will look a hell of lot different next year. Anyway, I haven't been this disappointed since January 3rd.

By the way, the Isles will get destroyed by Boston. They have no trouble playing the way the Isles do, and they have more skill and a better goal tender. Plus, they will go after Barzal and Eberle like the Pens should have.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    To support your argument, that POS Gary Bettman fined the New York Rangers for telling the truth and saying the safety commission is a complete joke after they fined Scott Wilson a mere $5000 for that game when he beat the f outta Rangers players. But yeah I'm there too, sick of us getting knocked down and looking soft. I gotta wonder what Carter is thinking considering his style of play and seeing the rest of the team. Let's not forget that Rick Tocchet is available and I'd imagine an associate of Hextall.

24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I think it's all how you look at it. A lot of Eagle fans kept asking me, "what happen to your Steelers" after they lost in playoffs. Now I'm sure today Flyer fans will say same thing to me. I point out at least we made the playoffs but in this world the only way someone won't talk **** to you is if your team wins it all which rarely happens.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't know what message the NHL is trying to send when they promote a goon like George Parros to a post like Head of the Department of Player Safety. Tom Wilson should have been gone for the rest of this season, and probably a couple of dozen games in to the 2021/22 season as well. I watch hockey to see performances from players like Artemi Panarin, not to watch Wilson try to put him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

I'm not adverse to fighting, but the game play has been much better since the league has curtailed it. However, it could become more prevalent once again. With the return of bigger, more physical players displacing skilled players, I can see a return of line brawls and staged fights. It's sickening. I'll settle for the Pens not necessarily being a brawling team, but they do need to get bigger and more physical, especially on the back end.