1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tremaine Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, May 2, 2021.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    There is a contract hangup in Buffalo. Could he be headed to the Steelers for a 2022 draft pick? He will be a free agent at the end of the year, could there be something like a Minkah deal? What is one year. (Possibly two if they could work out the extension issue) of Tremaine Edmunds worth? Affordability, considering the cap? Hmmmm.....

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    That actually is a good question. Due to the new rule instituted with the CBA, Players on Rookie Deals can see an increase of payment based on performance. Case in point?!

Josh Allen: $23 Million

Tremaine Edmunds: $12.791 Million

*** All numbers courtesy of this site. ***

That is roughly ~$36 Million Dollars in Cap Space right there. Not an easy task there. What is worse for Edmunds is that he has not lived up to his Draft Stock being the 16th Overall Pick. For a comparison, Minkah Fitzpatrick, a fellow Top 20 2018 Draft Class Member, has made First Team All Pro Twice. For that matter, his own teammate in Josh Allen made Second Team All Pro in 2020. Edmunds has yet to make All Pro but does have two Pro Bowls to his credit.

Final thing to note is that Josh Allen's Contract is going to command $40+ Million Dollars without question assuming he tears it up again in 2021. That is not including the 26 other Bills players who are on expiring contracts. Even though the salary cap is going up in 2022, a $100+ Million Dollar Fully Guaranteed Contract via Josh Allen is going to eat quite a bit of cap space.

All in all, expect Tremaine to command top dollar should he perform well if that option is picked up for 2022. Even so, if I am the Steelers, I would be watching this for certain. Tremaine Edmunds would be ONE HELL of a pairing with Devin Bush Jr.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Can we trade Terrell for Tremaine :hehehe:?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    No cap space for a one year deal, would have to be a trade and sign extension deal. But he'd be a perfect complement for Bush.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    He sure would be something opposite a healthy Devin Bush!
    The problem as the league is today is getting enough players to have their peak years simultaneously, or more like affording them! We will not see anything like the 70s Steelers again, where they contended for 7 or 8 years, with many of the same players.
    Cleveland will face a Josh Allen type problem in a year or so, Mayfield’s contract goes asymptotic. They will have to cut good players to afford him, or decide to let him walk and start over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True.

I would like the Steelers to entertain the prospect of going for him in 2022 if his option is not picked up though. That said, quite a number of Linebacker needy teams will throw the vault with the Kings Ransom at him. Seriously doubt the Steelers would entertain the idea of entering a bidding war either.

Even so, Tremaine Edmunds and Devin Bush Jr?!?!?! Oh... one can dream! :drinks:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmm... the drafting of both Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox with the transition of Keanu Neal to WLB likely means both LVE and Jaylon Smith are as good as gone.

@Blast Furnace

What say you about possibly trading or even waiting it out for LVE in 2022?! He was our guy heading in that draft!!!

10. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    LVE been so injured I've heard he is contemplating retirement

HACK

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Really?!?! What source?!

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll drink to that. I've already started.

13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    No media.. just friends who are Cowboy fans. I do not know where they may have heard it. But when Dallas double dipped at LB early ... thought maybe there was some truth to it. I know Sean Lee just retired.. but still... was interesting choice with LVE and Smith already there

HACK

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Josh Allen going to get expensive for the Bills

But I sign him long term no doubt.

As far as the Browns and Baker Mayfield I'm still not sold on a huge money deal, if Baker can't produce a long playoff run and he better at least get the Browns to AFC title game it be bad. This by far and away the most talented Browns team since they came back into the league in 1999.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree on Josh Allen. It does make me wonder though as to what is Sean McDermott's endgame here. Josh Allen may even command $45+ Million; Tremaine Edmunds likely going to be the biggest loser of the contract as 25 other players are set to become FAs in 2022. It still could happen although I truly am not holding my breath at this point for it.

Regarding Baker, agreed 100%. The 2022 QB Class is not as talented as the 2021 one but is arguably deeper than 2021s. Phil Jurkovec, Carson Strong and Malik Willis are just a plethora of options Andrew Berry will have.

Things definitely will be interesting in 2021 for certain.

17. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Guess this is a family reunion that isn't going to happen in 2022. Maybe if the Bills pick up Terrell.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Haven’t followed LVE closely since he was drafted other than he had success early on and has dealt with some injuries. We don’t have too much luck taking on injury prone players. I’d look at him in FA but don’t think I’d trade for him.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

2022 it is then!!!