1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RB wear and tear

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Maddog78, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Something to think about when spending a 1st on a RB. Two ways to look at it - Etienne and Harris have proven they can handle the load for the season, but the miles add up fast on a RB. Maybe you can get an extra year or two out of Williams.

Etienne: 788 touches in college, 22 years old when NFL season starts

Harris: 718 touches in college, 23 years old when NFL season starts

Williams: 416 touches in college, 21 years old when NFL season starts

Not in the same league, but I think a potential sleeper:

Trey Sermon: 503 touches in college, 22 years old when the season starts

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yeah, realistically, you're lucky if you get 5 good years out of a rb. Of course there are exceptions but they aren't the rule.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Very good point. Williams has just over half the carries of the other two.

Is there anything statistically speaking that shows the number of snaps is directly proportional to length of career, or does luck play a bigger part in terms of avoiding serious injuries I wonder?

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Made this point last season. If anything, I had JK Dobbins second on my list to Tee Higgins but only because I thought that Dobbins would be gone by then. Well, he was there for the Steelers pick in 2020... but so was Chase Claypool; third on my wish list.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No big deal, it's not like you want these guys to be starters for 10 years, use them for 4-5 years then move on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like everyone of these Guys. I wouldn't be disappointed if either were picked, the only way it would bother me is if we trade up 2 get one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

sermon is in the same league. ( lots were in front of him) quite capable. so was teague. dobbins in front of them. all helped keep carries down.

chubba hubbard 585

elijah mitchell 527

rhamondre stevenson 165

gerrid doaks 331

trey ragas 596

brian robinson alabama's backup 274( on any other team)

michael carter 514 ** very capable.

there are a lot of good RB's in this class. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Then should you spend a 1st round pick on a guy who won't see a 2nd deal?

Not completely against it - if Harris can give us 4-5 years of great production, it's probably worth it.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I can agree with that. If they go with a RB in the 1st you have that option year (with the 24th pick actually reasonable), a 2nd rounder you can tag (more pricey, but still can be value if back is producing). I can see the upside in going early for a back (though position has been devalued in current NFL) as arguably a good RB is more easily a plug and play guy who can give you results instantly. That said, a good line can make many backs look good. As it stands right now we have neither a good line or a good back, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Ideally trade down to 2nd and still get one of the three.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I'm really thinking hard about Trey Sermon in the 3rd or 4th.

Get a future anchor at C or LT with 1.24, BPA at 2.55, then get a RB. I like the idea of Pat Friermuth in the 2nd. Play more 12 personnel and be able to spread out run defenses and pick on them with the pass game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I mentioned that in a different thread about Sermon, assuming the top 3 RBs are gone consider Sermon in the third round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They should never have a running back on the roster that is not on a rookie deal or vet minimum. Draft one, run them into the ground, draft another. No offense built around a running back will win a super bowl in today’s NFL.

QB and offensive line investment will last a decade.

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Worked out well this year.

16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    more so because of the lack of offensive line. As much as I know that Connor isn’t a stud, we have seen him perform behind strong Olines. That being said, he was still over 4.0 yards per carry.

Connor’s bigger issue was health, when healthy he can be an okay back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Did DeAngelo Williams play for vet min? I'm all for cheaper 3rd contract guys, even if they cost a little more than min.

18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    not much more.

I think the larger point is there should be no long term, big money investment in a RB

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Agree 100% and thank Lev Bell every day for stopping the Steelers from their own stupidity. Same thing will happen with Harris if they draft him.

Tomlin in love with Bell Cow backs, which is inherently risky because you likely don't have more than one and one injury wrecks the offense.

You could start from scratch every offseason with a new backfield using mid to late round picks and 3rd contract guys. Would be a shame if the Steelers put their entire 2021 season on the unproven backs of Banner and Okorafor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I do not want them to invest a 1st round pick in a RB for this reason. When you pick someone in round 1 you hope you will be able to retain them for 8-10 years. A RB guarantees that will not happen, the 5th year option is even a question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This sums up why I don’t think the Steelers are going RB with the first pick and why there just aren’t a lot of RB’s taken in Rd 1 by anyone in general.

From Kabolys article:

Over the past decade, only 14 have gone in the first round with five being busts (Trent Richardson, David Wilson, Doug Martin, Rashad Penny, Sony Michel), two having short shelf lives (Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon), two being too early to tell (Josh Jacobs, Clyde Edwards-Helaire), three bona fide stars (Christian McCaffrey, Ezekiel Elliott, Saquon Barkley), one second-life (Leonard Fournette) and one solid career (Mark Ingram).

It’s difficult for teams to pull a trigger on a 20 percent success rate, especially when all of those stars came within the first eight picks. Colbert has been the Steelers’ general manager since 2000, and he’s pretty set in his ways. In the 20 times Colbert has had a first-round pick, he’s taken a running back just once: Rashard Mendenhall in 2008. It’s more than just a Colbert thing. It’s a Steelers thing. It’s a Rooney thing.

The Steelers don’t value running backs in the first round.

They have used a first-round pick on a running back four times since 1972 — Tim Worley, Walter Abercrombie, Greg Hawthorne and Mendenhall — and they weren’t exactly difference-makers. Bell was a second-rounder; Willie Parker was an undrafted free agent.

The Steelers can’t afford to miss out on one of the big three and think their running game is going to get instantly better. Sure, they can find one on Day 3 as many teams have before, but there are many more late-round misses than hits at the position. It can happen, but it doesn’t work more often than it does.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It seem the way the Steelers handle it, they don't even give RB's a second contract anyways?

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They tried to with LeVeon

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would rather just take Javonte in rd 2. Hopefully only one goes in the first or none, would be a good chance of Javonte being there at our pick in the 2nd.

Or wait until the 4th and take Rhamonde Stevenson but the more I look at Javonte the more he grows on me.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Be happy that it didn't work out.

• Agree Agree x 1