1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pimp your guys

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 31, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmm. Me Likes.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    could be on to something with 1 and 3 hack. i'm betting etienne instead though but radunz in the 3rd seems likely. i'm thinking CB in the 2nd. eric stokes georgia. hill in the 4th from georgia at center. unless myers from ohio st. somehow falls that far. doubtful though. :cool:

3. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    If we are looking by depth, TE is the biggest need. Eric Ebron cannot block, and Zach Gentry and Kevin Rader are not good TE2 options. Worse yet, if Ebron got hurt we would be rolling 5 wide again with Ben. And that is an F4 yikes from me

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

This guy would look good playing next to Bush.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I like this draft
    1. Zaven Collins linebacker
    2. Quinn Meinerz cener
    3. Kendrick Green guard

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but think he will be long gone by 24.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm starting to see JOK slip a little more in mock drafts. I personally think he is a Top 20 prospect but if he is there at #24 he would be near the top of my list. He's up to 221. Probably would like to see him at 235 to play inside for us but I think Telvin Smith plays at around 220 so who knows.

Najee Harris is still at the top for me but I struggle to see the Steelers draft a RB in Round 1.

Zaven Collins seems to be really getting some love and may not be around at #24. Love his game though.

Jaelan Phillips could go anywhere from #20-#25. I love his play but hes not a natural 3-4 OLB although I think he does possess the necessary athleticism.

Tevin Jenkins is a monster RT. Plug and play for me, but what about Banner?

Sam Cosmi or Alex Leatherwood could play LT.

Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia could drop due to recent surgery, tough to pass up on a Top 10 talent if available.

Those are my round 1 options.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If the Steelers do draft a RB in round 1, I’d want it to be Harris but I prefer they don’t go that route.

I think there will be some good offensive lineman in the 2nd to choose from so I’m hoping for JOK or Collins to drop to us and then go oline with the 2nd pick.

I know people are tired of taking mid rd RB’s but I think Stevenson can be a great RB. You can’t teach what he has.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    .Will the Penn St. TE still be there when we pick in the 2nd?

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    According to Steelers Depot these are the guys Tomlin and Colbert, and crew, showed up for:

Travis Etienne/RB Clemson
    Najee Harris/RB Alabama
    Anthony Schwartz/WR Auburn
    Nico Collins/WR Michigan
    Pat Freiermuth/TE Penn State
    Daelin Hayes/EDGE Notre Dame
    Baron Browning/ILB Ohio State
    Asante Samuel Jr./CB Florida State

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    not an offensive lineman amongst em

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Do not sleep on Alex Leatherwood. Both Tomlin and Colbert were there on hand for Alabama's Pro Day and I doubt they turned a blind eye on him. Just because both Colbert/Tomlin spoke to them directly does not mean they were ignoring them all together; doubly so in Notre Dame's case with Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah. If all else fails for the Steelers, look for Leatherwood to be a contingency plan at pick 24.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Likely.

A lot of Day One talent being pushed into Round 2 as per usual. This year however, the abundance of Corners, EDGE, Offensive Tackles, Wide Receivers, Quarterbacks and special talents like Wyatt Davis will allow Freiermuth to get at 55. That said, Quinn Meinerz is looking too enticing to pass up as I do not see him lasting long after pick 55. In addition, B.J. Finney being the starter really is not an ideal situation and Quinn has a far superior upside than Finney ever did coming out.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

JOK would make my day personally. Him, Minkah and Terrell?! Multi role Chess Pieces?!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The shame is, if we didn't have so many other needs, I would be elated to get Friermuth. Guy is an absolute stud, at a position of need. Unfortunately we also need at least one(I'm being optimistic) OLineman, a rb, a CB, and a LB.

Pat won't make it to our 2nd rd pick. He's too good. A Tevin Jenkins/Friermuth first and second would be total glory for me. There's two 10 year starters right there.

You can't have everybody.

17. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    talanoa hufanga safety USC reminds me alot of troy polamalu. he isnt getting much attention. i feel he will be very good at the next level

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree with Dale Lolley saying you don't want two small ILBs, they have to stop the Browns and Ravens running game, give me Jamin Davis or Zaven Collins at ILB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

There in lies the major issue with takes from people like Dale Lolley. For that matter, it seems that the general consensus of these new Defensive Personnel Weapons is to pigeonhole them into one spot then move them around. However, that simply is not how those players are used; Isaiah Simmons being the latest example.

Players like J.O.K. cannot be used in a singlaur capacity. They must be able to perform multiple tasks for maximum efficiency as their versatility is their greatest strength. Derwin James is another great example of this; often moving around within the Chargers Defense to augment their capabilities depending on not just the formation he is playing in but the oppositons current plan as well. It is important to understand that placing a player in the best possible situation yields the best results. For Jeremiah, his situation is going to be determined by whatever his Defensive Coordinator deems necessary; a major reason to like his appeal as he has no limits in terms of what he can do.

That said, the biggest problem Defensive Coordiantors have been experiencing with these new age defenders is that they do not place them in winnable situations and often either overextended that players abilities or force him into a role that simply does not fit his capabilites well; Brian Flores attempting to do this to Minkah is another example we can call upon. To this end, Dale Lolley fails to recognize the impact that J.O.K. can have for a team in spite of him being more than just a linebacker.

To summarize?! J.O.K. is more of a DPW than he is a mere Inside Linebacker. Using him properly like the Steelers use both Minkah and Terrell will yield immediate results. Using him the way Brian Flores or even Vance Joseph of the Cardinals is going to stymie his development; potentially damaging his effectiveness all together in the long run.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

His positions by snap count:

Slot: 331
    Box: 212
    D-Line: 88
    Corner: 14

I’ve said it numerous times, you have an immediate need in the slot for him and can move him all over.

My first pick has pretty much been narrowed down to him and Collins. We walk away with one of those guys, I’d be very happy.

• Like Like x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You will be happy.

Me?!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Now, I do understand with what Lolley is getting at but I disagree. I will say this though, in the event that J.O.K. does not make it to 24, keep an eye on Baron Browning. Uber athletic and versatile in his own right, Baron Browning for me is a Dark horse option to go at pick 24 should all other options be exhausted (including Caleb Farley, who has passed his medicals; a big step for him).

Outside of some processing limitations and some mental errors, Browning is all that a team would ever want in a 3-4 Buck ILB. What is more impressive is that, unlike many Buck ILBs in today's game, Browning can cover; an important trait to be a three down Linebacker. Again, not saying I would be happy with the pick but just saying, understand that the team has done his homework on him.

More information about why Baron Browning may be a sleeper can be found here.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I prefer they address OL or RB in round 1, if they go defense at #24 then all the more pressing needs get pushed back a round or two.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again though, pick the player and not the position. Picking the position nabs you players like Artie Burns or even Huey Richardson. For that matter, I am now officially convinced Najee Harris is not making it to 24 given the fact that teams like the Jets or even the Dolphins probably will want to assist their new QB with a very good bell cow. Harris is the best one in the draft and one of the safest picks the same.

I personally would love nothing than to get Najee Harris at pick 24. Only major reason I do not have him in my semi final is that the teams who either have a new QB, will get a new QB or will need a top shelf Running Back will have a better chance of acquiring Najee before we do. For that matter, it is also why I do not have Etienne either as while he is not the bell cow that Harris is, the fact that he is essentially Kamara 2.0 means that creative Offensive teams are going to have him assist their offenses in a big way.

That said, if JOK is not going to be there at pick 24, I would then imagine the team selects Alex Leatherwood. I would also want Zaven Collins but history really is not on his side from how the Steelers have drafted their First Round players. Caleb Farley is the wild card option but I may have to remove him as he has been cleared by doctors and therefore likely is not going to be available by 24 at this point.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i have to disagree with your assessment of barron browning. i have watched ohio state every week of my life. no way he should go anywhere near the first second or third round or before tuf borland or pete warner. these guys rotated for a reason. he was never the lone full time starter at the position. 111 career, yes career tackles. borland had 228 career tackles. warner 185. browning had 2 yes count them 2 passes defended at ohio state. browning wasn't even the best LB at ohio state. browning was the 3rd ranked ILB at ohio state. you are way off on him AQL. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1