1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the Trade of Sam Darnold, the New York Jets Have Traded Away Six Consecutive First Round Picks

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    All are as follows and each pick will be in relations to their year:

Sheldon Richardson: Pick Number 13 in the 2013 Draft. Traded to the Seahawks in 2017.

Calvin Pryor: Pick Number 18 in the 2014 Draft. Traded to Cleveland in 2017

Leonard Williams: Pick Number 6 in the 2015 Draft. Traded to the Giants in 2019.

Darron Lee: Pick Number 20 in the 2016 Draft. Traded to the Chiefs in 2019.

Jamal Adams: Pick Number 6 in the 2017 Draft. Traded to the Seahawks in 2020.

Sam Darnold: Pick Number 3 in the 2018 Draft. Traded to the Panthers in 2021.

This is essentially called "Mismanagement 101" in a nutshell. While no team has perfected the art of drafting, let this here be a instrument of guidance in realization. Case in point?!

Be thankful Kevin Colbert has only but a handful of misses in the Draft during the 2010s. It could have been much worse; the aforementioned above being a perfect example.

However, this does lead to a very important question; will Quinnen Williams be the seventh?!

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What's scary is their best years were on the Jets.
    What does that say 4 Sam D, and the Panthers?

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not necessarily true.

Leonard Williams had his best season for the Giants this year and it is too soon to speculate on Jamal Adams. Same goes for Sam Darnold as I do not see Carolina picking up a QB. If anything and, if I am the Panthers, BPA for pick number 9.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So you gave me 1 guy out of 5 , and say ....not necessarily true :smiley1:
    Saying L.Williams last season with the Giants was his best year.....is not necessarily true, if you look at all the stats of his best year with the Jets.
    So...:thumbs_up:
    LoL. :drinks:

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Sure. Leonard Williams did have better stats on the Jets than he did with the Giants... if we were to compile all of his years with the Jets versus the Giants. However, doing such a comparison is not ideal and skews the overall aspect of the comment I made regarding him. My comment is based the fact that Williams had his best year with the Giants than his best year with the Jets. For a better portrait of this, here is the comparison of his best year with the Jets vs. his best year with the Giants.

*** All Credit of this information goes to Pro Football Reference ***

Leonard Williams Stats for 2016 (Best Statistical Year with the Jets):

Tackles (Total): 86

Tackles (Solo): 29

Tackles (Assist): 34

Tackles For Loss: 11

Quarterback Hits: 19

Sacks: 7

Forced Fumbles: 2

Fumble Recoveries: 0

With his best statistical season with the Jets, let us dive into his 2020 Season with the Giants:

Leonard Williams stats for 2020:

Tackles (Total): 57

Tackles (Solo): 29

Tackles (Assist): 28

Tackles For Loss: 14

Quarterback Hits: 30

Sacks: 11.5

Forced Fumbles: 0

Fumble Recoveries: 1

One can argue that those two Forced Fumbles should give the Leonard Williams from 2016 the edge here. However, I personally beg to differ. 2020 was a far greater season for Williams as he ended up cracking double digit sacks for an Interior Defensive Lineman; very difficult even in this era. Furthermore, his totals in TFL's and QBH's had risen greatly from his 2016 Season with the Jets versus his 2020 one with the Giants. It can also be argued that 2016 marked his second NFL Season versus 2020 being his fifth. However and, even so, the information and data given to us concludes that the 2020 Leonard Williams was a far better player than the 2016 one.

Now that there is a clear cut explanation regarding Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold are far more tricky to contend with; doubly so for Darnold. Regarding Jamal Adams, while he is best used along and around the line of scrimmage, how often the Seahawks employed him in Single High is going to be interesting moving forward as doing so greatly diminishes Adams other abilities. While it can be argued that Leonard Williams' stats are a reflection of his schematic change and thus should be discounted, bear in mind that the position at which they play is a vastly different degree of responsibilities alone; duties, functions and capabilities as well and no less. Sam Darnold was the unfortunate beneficiary of Adam Gase. As such, to say that Darnold will not pan out is quite the leap of faith as Darnold has yet to play a snap for the Carolina Panthers and therefore, present us with no tangible evidence to fall back on.

Overall and again, while it is simple to say that the aforementioned players had their best years on the Jets, the fact is that there are a myriad of differences to address before doing so. For Leonard Williams, this was simple as he performed better during 2020 than any point during his tenure with the Jets. Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold though need more time to draw any conclusion.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wasn't compiling all his years for L. Williams .
    I clearly said, His best year as a Jet, or all the stats of his best year as a Jet.
    I think the ,more tackles, and FF make up for the sacks.
    Also I'm ( how may I put this nicely) so tired of hearing about it being Adam Gase fault for S. Darnold. Was he his coach at USC when he was turnover machine?
    Name me a Qb that was a turnover machine in college that wasn't in the NFL.
    I'm sure there is one ....nothing is 100%, but in most cases.....S. Darnold will always be a turnover machine. Also I didn't say he would be bad in the Panthers.
    I said What does that say about S. Darnold, and the Panthers.

Even after all you wrote....As of now , even if I give you L.Williams....so far most of those players best years are with the Jets.
    Correct :shrug: 4 out of 5.:smiley1:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree to disagree then.

Ryan Tannehill was also considered a bust when Adam Gase was running the ship in Miami. Look how he has turned out. I see no reason as to why Sam Darnold cannot do the same.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tannehill was a bust in Miami? Sure he just didn't want out of the culture there at the time? When he wasn't hurt he had the Fins in the playoffs, something Darnold hasn't done yet. Gase isn't very good but Sam has his own issues to overcome before he becomes the next "so-so" Tannehill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See there you go again.
    1. One of Tannehills best years was under Gase.
    2. Miami went like 8 years without going 2 the playoffs till Gase got there.
    3 . I guess its Gases fault Tannehill was injured half the time Gase was his coach.
    4. Tannehill has Henry now. Look how he looks when Henry is shut down.
    5. I'm defending Gase, and I don't really like him, but I get tired of people spouting off about things , they just hear other people say.
    6. I apparently like 2 argue with you.
    LOL.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Again, agree to disagree.

Ryan is far better better with Tennessee than he ever was with New York. Henry or otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Again everyone;

Thr whole point of this post is to illustrate that complete mismanagement of a Team is what can often spell the difference between a 1st Round pick panning out versus being traded. This whole aspect of a player doing better in their original team versus their new one is quite a reach given the circumstances. Furthermore, even if that said player was better with their original team versus their new one, the fact that they were traded is an indication that said team had given up on said player all together and therefore considered him expendable; best season up to that point or not being irrelevant.

However, all of that is nugatory relative to the entirety of this post; stability. Stable organizations usually keep their players longer. Chaotic ones do not. The Jets have shown they are the latter.

My question in the poll is based on how often the Jets have traded away their 1st Round Picks and is not based on performance based on [insert best year of Player A with thr Jets].

Once again everyone, context is key.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gase is a horrible HC, dude :lolol:

I don’t need people to tell me he sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't like him either, but this he ruins Qb talk got started because some people are fans of That turnover machine from USC, and like 2 make excuses. Collin Cowherd was the 1st, and it leaked after that. People try 2 use Tannehill ...when in reality one of his best years was with Gase without the monster Rb Henry.
    Hell people look it up. Also he was hurt more than half the time Gase was his coach.
    Again as I stated many times before I dont like Gase either.
    It's like the J. Fisher crap. That everyone was spouting. Lo and behold they ended up giving up on J .Goff. So it wasn't Fisher.
    Before that Shanahan couldn't coach anymore because of RG3 ...Lo and behold it was RG3 sucked.
    Every few years another thing like this gets started, and instead of people fact checking, they just go...Bahahahaha...bahahaaa. Sheeple.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tannenhils best years were before Gase took over. 2014 he had 4045 yards and 27 TD’s, 2015 he had 4208 passing yards and 24 TD’s, when Gase got there in 2016, he dropped to 2995 yards and 19 TD’s in 13 games. Looks like he missed 2017 and then played 11 games in 2018 and had 1979 yards and 17 TD’s.

I don’t think it’s a myth that Gase doesn’t get the most out of players, same thing happened with Drake and then he goes to Arizona and takes off.

I have no idea if that will be the case with Darnold but there is some merit to the argument. I think Panthers gave up too much and taking a big risk, Darnold gets happy feet, does poorly under pressure, that’s tough to overcome no matter who the coach is.

Also, it’s not just Gase but the Jets overall, I’m from NY, it’s a terribly run organization.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not 2 argue , but Tannehills best year was 2016 when Gase was there and they went 2 the Playoffs. You should know me by now. Winning is the biggest stat 2 Me. He had his best winning percentage, and best Td percentage, also his stats weren't as high because
    1. They were actually playing winning football for the 1st time in 8 years. Ever notice most(not all) high passing yards come in a losing season.
    2. He only played 12 and a half games,and got injured.
    Again I don't like Gase, and yes the Jets are a poorly run organization. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-4-9_14-59-14.gif

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty sure the Pirates of MLB have traded everyone of theirs the past 20 years.