1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No need to watch this year, this team isn't serious about a SB(Nelson >> Juju)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Mar 20, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    First off, what Juju did was cool. I guess. Unless you really dig deep into it. Basically the cap is low right now because of the pandemic. Nobody was over paying especially for WRs. Juju wants to sign his long term contract next year when the cap goes back up(smart) So he took a million less to stay in Pittsburgh. I'd imagine the hassle of selling your house, finding a new place, moving your whole team, learning a new playbook, etc all for 1 million for just 1 year isn't worth it. Because remember there's no guarantee he would sign his long term contract there. He gets to seem like the hero. Well played by Juju.

Steelers obviously wanted Nelson over Juju because it makes them a better team. We are so deep at WR. Nelson is probably the 2nd best corner we've had a long time only to Haden. Losing that for a WR when we have Washington, DJ, Claypool, Ray Ray, etc is just so stupid. Nelson was only allowed to seek a trade once the Steelers realized they had to sign Juju. They wanted Nelson over Juju.

Juju learned from Bell and AB and called their bluff. He was going to make the Steelers take the heat in this situation. They caved like the Penguins have been doing for years to prioritize fans sentiment over Championships. So I admit the "loyalty" is hype right now but I hope it's worth it when this team is 7-9 next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Juju and Nelson have nothing to do with each other.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    phillyhuh.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes, they do. Steelers only have 2 million in cap space. Nelson salary this year was 8 million and what they need to pay Juju. They find out Juju is coming back and tell Nelson to seek a trade. They picked Juju over Nelson.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    So Nelson tweets, "blessing in disguise". That actually shows his true character. He's obviously a punk and really don't have his heart here. Juju at least put out a heartfelt statement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This defense went from top in the league to average when Bud went down. Now imagine without the best slot corner, 2nd best corner we've had in a decade, and a pro bowl caliber DE.

Get that heartfelt statement on a trophy because that's the only thing we are winning this year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How does anyone know what these people are thinking? Players are in it for the money. Their agents make money off of their clients making money. I believe JJSS is dong what his agent tells him to do. Its all about money. Can't tell why JJSS is staying and Nelson isn't. Nelson isn't gone, yet, from what I've heard and maybe this is a strategy that ends up keeping him in some way. There are secrets behind the secrets with all the variables so I am sitting back and waiting for the dust to settle and then see what we look like. That includes the draft results. We went into last year without a #1 pick and it turned out pretty good so who knows? IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    " Wheels within wheels" "Plans within plans........."

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So ...your saying we win a trophy???;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I guarantee you that we won't go 7-9 this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with SDOT here.

The Steelers are deep at WR. They needed to retain key defensive players a lot more than they needed to retain JJSS. Plus this is a very deep WR draft class. The Steelers could have added a nice receiver prospect in the middle of the draft and still been deep at the position. Bringing JuJu back makes little sense.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maybe he is tired of the sh!t show. Great team guys like Hilton, Vince, and Alualu were allowed to walk so we can keep JuJu and Banner, who can't stop making asses out of themselves on social media.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    JJSS will cost 2.4M this year. That has nothing to do with Nelson.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with SDOT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Because no one else wanted him for much more than he was going get in Pittsburgh and that's also where he would get the most targets. His agent reached out to the EAGLES and they all of people said no thank you. So he tried to make it look like it was all about Pitt when it was really about the fact he didn't get what he somehow thought he was worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Ben wanted him back. Thats all you need to know

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not a big cap guy and I know that but I listen and learn from people who are good at it.

Before making a post like this, you too should learn before speaking out.

The two have nothing to do with each other. JuJus cap hit is only 2.4 million, they can easily make more space to accommodate Nelson. Restructuring Nelson is one of the ways they can do that. Nelson wants a raise most likely, he’s 28, Steelers don’t want to give him one and then he displayed a ****ty attitude. Bye Felicia.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    This is a new twist on a boycott

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Saying 2nd best corner in a decade isn’t saying much. Our DB’s have underperformed for more than a decade other than one or two players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This...all the talk of losing the defensive guys, we knew it was going to be a big change. The retained Sutton, Hilton was out the door as soon as legally possible (on offer we no way could match), AluAlu was not offered a large deal by the Jags, but at 34 got more and is able to finish his career where he started (not chasing a ring there). Many also felt Williams, Haden, and Nelson were prime candidates for SOME kind of action, Vince being cut (if no deal could be made) was not some deep rooted conspiracy. Nelson has one year left on his contract, there is no restructure, so both sides need to come to an agreement With the new TV money on the horizon why would Nelson take something less than he can get next year? He still feels he can cash in, while the team feels they cannot (or) do not want to invest that kind of money with other huge deals on the horizon. I read an article where Nelson feels he is worth top 5 money (perhaps pure conjecture), but is that is what he is seeking then I would let him walk as well. My point is this is more about what Nelson feels is value is than JuJu coming back,

On JuJu, yes the draft is deep at WR, but the way college is preparing and using WR's now it appears most recent drafts have had that depth. Due to the cap situation many players and teams are using depleted 1 and 2 year deals. JuJu may indeed fit into our long term plans when the cap explodes, or he may be a one year fill in and NEXT year the team will more closely have to look at WR with possible losses of him and Washington, but that is NEXT year. Signing JuJu means the team can now look to fill and develop other pressing needs on OL, ILB, OLB, among others. This team is not going to be retooled (or rebuilt) in one year, so let's pull our panties out of our cracks on very little move that's made.

BTW while I am not going to take the time to research this, most of the posters singing Nelson's praises and our doom without him are likely the same ones crying how much he sucked last year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another doomsdayer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If we are to compete offensively in the AFC North then keeping JUJU and Ben together was essential. We just have to hope that Ben has one more season in him and that his elbow surgery wasn't quite healed yet and knee was more of an issue than he let on. If Ben wasn't coming back then letting JUJU go and keeping Nelson would have been a better scenario. As it is, let Nelson throw his temper tantrum if he feels it to be necessary to do so while being shopped.

At the end of the day though, JUJU's cap hit has nothing to do with Nelson's contract options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

To me, that's the problem. I have zero hope that Ben will return to form. My greatest hope was relying on a top 5 defense to win us 8-9 games as we rebuilt the offensive line and running game. Now its very liable to take several drafts to really fix the line. How effective can Ben and a running game be behind a line that may end up being even worse than last season. One would think that a Creed Humphrey or a 3rd Round OT would help booster this line, there's zero guarantees that it will; but bringing back Ben + the cap drop (due to covid) created even more needs: ILB and CB plus the existing need for a TE. The only good move thus far was bringing in Haskins on that futures deal. I don't see how Juju and Nelson are interconnected either. I do feel that Juju was easier to replace.

I'm hoping for the best. I have to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I never said Nelson sucked. :facepalm: