1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If taking best player available, what player do you want?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Mar 17, 2021.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Some rumors Conner might be re-signed. If so, imo the Steelers might be more in line to draft the best player available instead of picking for 'needs.

Assuming we lose AV at LT, that us still a high priority which would warrant a high draft pick. In a OT deep draft per analyst, they might get away with not picking one up in the 1st round.

One guy I like a lot for the Steelers and if I was GM that'd be very hard to pass up if availabile would be this guy.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

He looks like the perfect tweeter ilb/olb which could fill a Vince William/Bud Dupree/ Hilton void. A Devin Bush/Jeremiah Nickel formation would add a lot of speed and versatility on defense imo.

This is one dude I would not be upset if the Steelers picked up in the 1st if there.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I wouldn't have wanted a defensive player in the first round, but with our losses mounting, it might be necessary. But regardless of whether JC signs or not, RB is not a need. OL>RB

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Good call. A lot of us have been pimping him over in the Bill Nunn Draft Room for awhile.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I would love JOK but there is a good reason why I no longer have him on my top 3; fit. Rather, let me put it in another way; JOK would be a Mack ILB in our system. Pittsburgh already has one in Devin Bush Jr. I definitely would appreciate the speed but you also need some power to go along with it.

JOK has the speed and agility to play... well anywhere but lacks that power to become the "Yin" to Devin Bush's "Yang". Among the Linebackers I would love to have, Zaven Collins is a player I definitely would want but have doubts as to him being there at pick 24. Zaven Collins does not have the speed of JOK but possess far superior strength and power to assist in the Running Game; something JOK would have to be used along the edges for as opposed to merely taking on blocks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn’t pigeon hold a player like JOK, you scheme for talent like that and let him wreak havoc. His coverage is top notch and has speed for days. Plus I’m sure he could put on 10-15lbs, dont think it would slow him down that much.

If he’s there at 24, that’s a tough pass.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are correct. Doing such to a player like JOK is a waste to begin with anyways; Isaiah Simmons being the biggest example. That said though, balance is needed within the Linebacking Corps and JOK really is not suited to such a role as he is way too gifted to be such. Zaven Collins is not just very good in coverage but he is even better heading downhill and covering the sidelines; something that was absent after Bush Jr got hurt. While he does not possess the ridiculous versatility that JOK does, he is versatile enough for him to perform very well early on for him to eventually command the Buck ILB Spot; the spot that is not void due to Vince's departure.

Overall, I seriously do not know where to put JOK on the defense as it stands. While Keith Butler loves his Linebackers, I am not 100% certain that JOK is a 'Backer that he could use properly. Zaven Collins though is a plug and play option as Keith would know exactly where to slot him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    He’s a tweeter? Don’t we have enough guys on social media? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Travis Etienne. Bringing Conner back is just going in reverse. They can add tackle. ILB, OLB after that. Solidifies a true need and an immediate impact starter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Center, TE or RB would most likely be best player available where Steelers are picking. No way are they gonna get a blue chip CB, edge rusher or OT picking in the late 20's.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This draft is deep at OT, they could get a good prospect at #24.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    At this point Steelers need a lot of things, so I don't think they can make a bad choice for a need.

I'd took a look at trading down to end of 1st round, and try to get an additional 2nd or 3rd round choice.

Because I think you can still get one of the top 3 RB"S or even a decent tackle still

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You really can't tell.
    As you know it really matters what everyone before you does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm hoping we have a lot of "Brady picks" this draft. Guys taken in later rounds and turn into gold mines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    My first rd wish list has been pat frieirmuth for quite some time before free agency started and put us in a total BPA position

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is almost impossible to answer. Until the Steelers are on the clock how would we know who's available?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good point. So pick those that look to possibly be available.

I picked Rashaan Slater earlier, but I think it's clear he's a top 15 pick.

Just a few fun exercise we can look back on to see how wrong we were

18. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    if the Clemson back or Harris is there, i would hate to see them pass on them. I would also be happy with a tackle. No Qbs worth reaching for. Ride it out with ben this year and lose 9-10 games and pick high next year and get the QB then

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There’s like a half a dozen of these discussions already going on over is the draft section. Pretty interesting stuff. I’m not much on scouting college players so I don’t usually partake in those discussions myself.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Like @SteelerGlenn stated;

Let the board come to you. From there, pick the player and not the position.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes. Right now it’s impossible to know who the best player might even be that’s still available with 23 pics ahead of us. For me my highest priorities are OL & TE, but who knows the best player available might be a QB or a DL.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It will be D.
    Either Db, or LB.:smiley1:

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Zaven Collins is available then I agree. I just have severe doubts he will be. Then again, like @SteelerGlenn stated, who knows what the board will look like come April?!

• Like Like x 1
  24. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Trade down.. accumulate picks.. don't believe we gonna be competitive this season anyways.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not with that attitude we will not be.