1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"You own what you can own..."

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelReal, Mar 17, 2021.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    These were Mike Wilbon's words on "Pardon The Interruption" as they discussed Lebrons part partnership stake in the Boston Red Sox. What was interesting about it is that Lebron is a Yankees fan. I dont know if hes die hard, but I am familiar with the fact he is a fan. The own what you can own comes from the fact theres limited opportunity to own a professional team so the mindset is he took what he could get.

As a Steelers fan ...or as a fan of any major sports team...if the opportunity presented itself where you could be owner of a team would you do it even if it's the arch enemy of your team??? I thought for a second the no brainer answer would be, yes, outside of myself. I have real strong loyalty ties...I dont think I could do it...maybe if I started a whole new team, but not one that currently exists...for right now we'll just keep the question to teams that currently exist...and who would it be????

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Thank God most of us on this message board do not have any ownership stakes and decision making in the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I've always wondered how that works with the Packers

4. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I imagine it functions as any other corporation with many shareholders would.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the Steelers went public and fans were limited to one share at $1,000, I believe a million Steelers fans would buy shares, creating $1 billon dollars in revenue.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    For once... I agree with you.

With that said... Fire Tomlin immediately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I see you have a new aviator but you still get the :facepalm:. Can't run from that bruh. :lolol:

I'm tempted to correct but I'll leave the damage done by autocorrect. :facepalm:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Actually, you've agreed with some of my comments in the past. And, I agree.......Fire Tomlin immediately!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

They probably mailed out a survey and it came back with Fire Mike McCarthy.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Hah! We'd have 10 championships now if I were running things! :dancing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Hell no, and I don't think fans would like it much either. Much like how the Browns [sic] owner bought a stake in the Steelers (IMO to steal internal process), then sold it.

Why would any fan at heart want a piece of a hated rival? Is he going to stop wearing Yankees gear now? Lebron isn't some gray suit who could care less if he had a $1 billion stake in peanut farms or the Penguins. He's going to have to quit all of that. The first time he's on a beach with a NYY fitted it'll be a disaster.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Bradshaw flew planes?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Tell me about it. If I ran the team, we'd need to be constantly building new trophy cases.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

You know I would have put together a team that could have cleaned the Patriots clock in those AFCCG's. I'm talking about some of these fans who would probably replace Pouncy with Crosby because, after all, he has 15 years at the Center position already and is still going strong with no sign of slowing down.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

The Packers have a weird shareholder arrangement. , designed in the ‘30s to keep the team in town. Shareholders get no dividends, and can’t sell their shares to anyone but back to the team at the purchase price. There a limit on how many shares you can own , no one can own more than a few %. So it’s a lousy investment, and basically means the Pack swim in cash because they never pay out profits. Ownership is a symbol of civic pride. You do get to vote on the board of directors, but since the team essentially controls who owns the shares, I suspect there’s rarely any ripples in Board meetings.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Its the greatest Scam ever created. Hey Buy this and the only thing you can do with it is say you have it. Every member on this forum has as much say so in the packers as the "public" owners do. Its basically like buying a expensive certificate. The only purpose it serves is to separate someone from their money.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd love to be part owner of our rivals. Then, do everything I could to make them suck. After I get satisfaction with ROI and losses to the Steelers, sell my share to someone who is an idiot and will continue to make the team suck. Unfortunately, this is beyond my capability.

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

True. But it started innocently enough. The folks in GB wanted to keep their team from going the way of the Decatur Staley’s or the Portsmouth Spartans. So they donated a bit of money to keep the team around. No one in their wildest dreams expected that the Pack would be worth > $2 billion some day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Cool, i didn't know the history behind it. But they have had more sales of "stock" since then. Which now (at least in my opinion) makes it a scam.

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Maybe, but if you are of sound mind and willingly buy a pet rock or pay to have a star named after you, I’m not sure you’ve been scammed. Same with buying Packer stock. You know the deal going in and have decided to accept the terms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Honestly i'm surprised every team has not come up with a plan like this. And yes if your gullible it is your own fault. However it doesn't make the Scammin Con artist right either. At some point people have to do the right thing. At least with a pet rock you get a pet rock. No more or no less than what was advertised. Selling people a expensive piece of cheap paper under the guise of ownership is still used car salesman tactic.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Now that you bring it up, sure looks like the Rooney's were silent partners for the Browns and Bengals for a few decades.:lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Victim of Autocorrect.

24. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020