1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome back Cam Sutton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanIrl, Mar 15, 2021.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hopefully

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So Hilton gone then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Good signing.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Unfortunately I don’t think Mike Hilton will be back

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    IDK some of these big money deals for average guys could show Hilton, Bud, JuJu, Conner and so on that they aren't going to score those mega millions this year

6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Money isn’t there for the Steelers to bring those guys back even if their market is soft.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that they sign short below market deals in the hope of cashing in next off season. That would blow up the hope of a couple of third round comp picks that would normally be expected for losing blue chip players like Bud and Juju.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Disagree. GB is in cap hell, too and signed Aaron Jones. They could conceivably bring one of these guys back.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I never care about comp picks because basically it ends up being that you have to suck for the season with lesser talent to maybe be awarded a couple of middle to late round picks that take place at the end of a round after 31 other teams picked and depending on your record whether or not you pick 33 or 39th. Sign the guys they need, chips will fall where ever and chalk this season up to th pandemic.

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Maybe one, on a heavily backloaded deal like we discussed yesterday. They still have to bring Alualu and Banner back, Sutton has already been signed, I think they need a TE, OLB and probably a WR in free agency. Even if they are all bargain basement signings it’ll add up.

Green Bay has a more complete roster right now, they can fill most of their needs in the draft. I’m surprised they picked Jones over Lindsey. I would have kept Lindsey

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I stated before in the Justin Layne thread, the signing of Cameron Sutton likely means the Steelers are finally getting past the doldrums of the unsuccessful period of drafting Corners; 2008-2017. Terrell Edmunds played his way into Top Ten Strong Safety discussion in 2020 and should continue to do so moving forward. Finally, too early to tell on Justin Layne the same.

As in my signature though, if the team feels he is not the answer, Greg Newsome II can be.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind that Elton Jenkins had experience at Center coming out of Mississippi State University in 2019. I would imagine he is the incumbent to replace Lindsey heading into 2021. You are correct in terms of how they can attack the draft though is the likely position switch of Jenkins means Guard is likely going to be at the top of their tree..... along with defense as well.

Wyatt Davis would make a great fit.

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Great point, I had forgotten that about Jenkins. Makes sense

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Good signing. Sutton had a pretty solid season last year and has improved every season so far. As other have stated, Hilton is probably gone but I was expecting that anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let some other team overpay for Hilton, I wanted Sutton signed before Hilton.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They also lost Corey Linsley.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No worries!! :)

It still does not detract from the fact that the Packers need to restructure Aaron Rodgers Contract as his current one does not help the team. I would imagine that the Packers are attempting to add voidable years on the restructured deal; Jordan Love being the biggest winner in the long term as are the Packers. How much longer will Aaron wait this out remains to be seen.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Restructure A Rods Contract. That said, what is in the restructure itself?! I would imagine voidable years as Jordan Love is the likely incumbent to supplant Rodgers. Never mind that though as how low do the Packers think A Rod will go.

19. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I think I'd pick Hilton over Sutton by a narrow margin. My guess is the team negotiated with both guys with the intention of signing the one who cost the least, even if by "only" 100 thou.

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Theoretically, teams can pretty much sign anyone they want. If we assume every player is open to restructure/extension in duration and amount, and that any player is expendable and can be simply released and replaced on the cheap, then the dollars are going to be there.

Where it gets complicated is balancing the team as a whole - the contracts/amounts commited to keep key players, coordinating the length and yearly amounts, evaluating if/who can be released, potential draft/FA additions, etc. On top of this, another team (or the player/agent) may end up considerably outbidding your initial estimate.

That all said, I think JuJu feasible. But even that's contingent on the market. The Edge commands a higher AYS, and while the market and his recovery could potentially soften his contract, they would have to make some aggressive moves in order to absorb Bud's cost.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, you were right, Buds gone now, maybe they get something down with JuJu. Only reason I think there’s any chance is because Ben has to want him back.

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Well Dupree just got 16 million per year from the Titans.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Sutton because he can play the slot CB, and outside CB.

24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It's hard to tell what JuJu's market value is, but I'd guess he lands a contract with an average cost of around $12m/year. Fitzgerald signed a 1yr deal last offseason for $11m, and Robby Anderson signed for 2yrs/$20m. Fitz obviously has age working into his number, while Anderson hasn't been as productive.

A couple of steps up, Davonte Adams and Stefan Diggs both sit around $14m as clear WR1s. I wouldn't put JuJu in their pay grade, but both signed their contracts 3+ years ago. So it's possible an aggressive team could've offered him closer to that had the cap not fallen this year.

The Steelers could afford the $12m average over the contract's length, but they would need to figure out how to manipulate the structure so as to get this year's under $10m.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So glad they retained him, he has shown an upside and is one of ours! Its a miracle I tell you, its a miracle... and a solid deal for 2 more seasons!