1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Adrian Peterson?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Trellaine, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    He’s expressed interests in playing for us.

Thoughts?

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He has played for league minimum last few years and has been amazingly productive for somebody nearing 35. He is still good as a short yardage guy. I wouldn’t mind this at all.

Running back room

Draft Pick
    Snell
    Peterson
    McFarland
    FB: Watt

Those young guys could learn a lot from a guy like that

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Our running can’t be any worse than last year. That’s for sure.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They’ll draft someone and still have Snell and McFarland.

They don’t have money to spare on stuff like this.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This.

He doesn't give you anything that you don't already have on the payroll at this point in his career.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Peterson would cost maybe $300k more than Samuels. They are going to have to sign more guys and put a roster together anyway, and they normally keep four backs.

I get the ‘sign everybody’ mentality can be silly at times, but in this case I don’t think it’s that crazy if he can help the team. It’s hardly profligate to bring in a guy at more or less league minimum.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No thanks he might die behind our OL .. We should have a rule to only destroy 1 old man per season..This season is Bens we should not sign any other Vet behind this OL it's just the right thing to do..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    5 points for the use of profligate. Yes, I had to look it up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Lol

I don’t care if they sign him or not, he hardly turns them in to contenders, but money is not the reason not to do it.

He is miles better than Samuels IMO, and better in short yardage than anything they have, including Snell. JMO

10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe you're right. If there is a role to play for the right price. I would just rather see a younger player with potential and more in the tank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I think you have to go a solid 7.5 for dropping it in a discussion of a 35 y/o backup RB.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Minor role player if they brought him in, 100-200 snaps. If you need a yard though, he is one of the best there is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I would agree with the preference for youth, but while Samuels is solid on ST I don't see him developing past where he is and Snell/McFarland/draft pick would provide plenty.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When you are as tight against the cap as they are, every penny matters. If they had no other needs then maybe but it’s money better spent elsewhere.

Draft pick and Benny will be the 1-2, whats the point of bringing a 35 year old Peterson aboard. How much would he play. McFarland will have an expanded roll under Canada as well.

No thanks to Peterson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not interested in a old Peterson, I prefer a rookie RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Fair enough Blast, I don’t think it moves the needle that much either way as I have already said.

He had approx 150 carries, 650 yards and 7 TD’s for Detroit last year. That is more than Samuels has had in three years in Pittsburgh. It’s not exactly a crazy idea to drop Samuels (who will be gone after the year anyway) and bring somebody like that in for similar money. I know they are in cap difficulties, but if you can’t find $130k (I checked) to upgrade a position you are probably already done in terms of being able to contend for anything.

As for how much he would play, like I said, a carry here and there, and if you are in 4th and 1 there is nobody on the roster currently that could lace his cleats in that situation.

You would have to balance Samuels special teams value against that when weighing it up.

17. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I suggested signing Peterson in the Power Running Back thread last month. Now that we know that he’s interested in the Steelers it makes even more sense. With Ben back and unwilling or unable to QB sneak the addition of one of the greatest backs ever at gaining one yard is exactly what we need.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    sure, why not.

SIGN EVERYONE!

19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yup.

And since the minimum is tied to how many years of service a player has, he'd be making more than million/year. That would put him around 25th on the Steelers in terms of cap hit according to overthecap.com.

That's a pass.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014

You're right, of course. There are much larger fish to fry on the roster, and thus this highly unlikely to be anyone's talking point in the FO. That said, I'd still suppport the move. While I like the thought of drafting a Harris, I don't know if the opportunity and timing will align on draft day, and the team has too many holes to be reaching. Peterson would only be insurance against the lack of a viable draftee or injury, but I'm intrigued to see what expanded role McFarland might have as well.

Right about now MLB teams are starting to put final pieces in place to start the season. Grabbing that aging utility infielder batting .240 but still a little pop to his bat to serve as an occasional pinch hit/day off opportunity. Kinda where this move fits.

Unfortunately the Steelers still need to figure out the rest of their starting rotation and who's manning 3rd.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Naw, pass. Fix the damn line and get younger and cheaper across the board. Not that I'm rooting against them, but this isn't a playoff team no matter who they have at QB. I admit, Ben makes next season more interesting, but this team has too many potholes and not enough asphalt to fill them. If they even flirt with a wild card berth this season, it will be a minor miracle.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We will make the playoffs if Ben plays the whole season.
    I'll take bets

24. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Like your enthusiasm, but not only do they need Ben to play every game and play well, they need a RB and an offensive line. And, that's just for starters.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude I got Black and Gold colored glasses, and a crystal ball.

• Like Like x 1