1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Simms ranks the 2021 QBs

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Maddog78, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I meant to post this in the Draft forum, can a mod please move it?

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Done.

I’m all aboard the Lance train so yeah, I’d definitely be happy with that.

I also like Jones more than most. Hopefully one of them drops, I’d take either one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah quit reading as soon as I saw K. Mond in his top 4. Even fans of Texas A&M don't believe that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not more than me...on Jones.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, didn’t agree with that take.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Simms has a good record on QB and player evaluation to be fair. He was saying all last year that Herbert was going to be a stud, he was talking up Chase Claypool all off season as well. Seems to know his college ball.

He can still be wrong of course. The Mond one is weird, literally nobody else is expecting much from him. I saw him going through these picks on PFT and apparently his father told him to look at Mond, they think he is a very underrated prospect.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i have mentioned mond. he had a much better year last year. his numbers are not that bad actually. i think most of them in this draft will take some time once they hit the pros. i also think many of them need put in the right situations to succeed. i don't think they can just go anywhere with any coach and be good out of the gate fields, mond, and a few others will need the right system before they show what they are worth. i don't think they step right in anywhere and become your next franchise qb. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    IDK who it was (I think McShay) that actually had 4 of the QB's going 1-4 in his recent mock and Jones going at 9..Insanity just seems to prevail once the draft gets closer, it could happen, but like you said some of these guys really will need groomed and need the right system and players around them. For teams trading away multiple picks to move up a few spots you better have a plan in place.

• Like Like x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mond has all the physical tools in the world, a little better than F. Frank's, but both have a really bad tendency 2 look like a deer in the headlights.
    There's no way I take either before late 3rd.
    I only bring up F. Frank's because he reminds me of Mond ....with a little less speed.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m going to have to take a deeper look into Monds because I like Simms and think he has a good eye for talent.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I looked up the various scouting reports and saw Mond compared to Dobbs by another analyst, good mobility, nice highlight reel but very inconsistent etc. Consensus seems to be that he is a mid round guy, might sneak in to day two.

By all accounts he is a guy that will need some time regardless of where he lands. It would be rare for most scouts to be this wrong on a QB?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Simms goes into more detail here. He definitely has me liking him more than I did but I need to go watch and see if I can see what he’s seeing. Not that means anything if I can’t, I’m sure Simms has a thousand times better eye for this stuff than me.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...ball-NFL-Draft-ranking-Chris-Simms-161902517/

• Like Like x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Ryan leaf.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    "The only negative I come to with Kellen Mond is, I wish he'd play a little more backyard football"

I think QBs and teams are becoming too reliant on this. Give me a QB who is accurate, throws guys open, and makes the right decision 90% of time over the guy who needs a play to break down before he can make anything happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. That's why I was freaked out by his Mond take. I promise if Mond is the same in the NFL as he was in college....Rudolph is better.

17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Watched a Mac Jones highlight reel, which only shows his best plays. Surprised how many deep balls he underthrew, although he also had a lot of perfect throws. One huge upgrade over Mason is that he doesn't wet himself when pocket gets muddy. Good pocket mobility, keeps his eyes downfield.

Wonder what the Steelers do if both he and Harris are on the board at 1.24.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Easy choice Harris helps you in 2021, Jones not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It will be interesting if Trey Lance does fall that far. Should he fall that far, I do not see a scenario in which the Steelers pass up on him. Lance's physical tools and arm talent are immeasurable. Ensuring he sits down and understands the mental aspect of the NFL will be critical.

That said, Kellen Mond is a bit of a sleeper pick; one that quite a bit of people are not giving him credit for. Within that same vein, Mond also needs to be sat down but for possibly longer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s Simms going into more detail for his top 6.

Mac Jones and Trey Lance are definitely on my wish list. Lance would make more sense because he would benefit greatly from sitting a year behind Ben, not a lot of experience yet and needs to learn the NFL game. Jones would have been perfect if Ben retired, he’s ready to go, I agree with Simms 100%.

I’m not in on Fields, the flaws he is talking about, too worrisome for me, can see him flaming out in the NFL easily.

Monds is my wild card, still have to watch more of him but I like what Simms is selling.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Disagree on the Lawrence inaccuracy comment by Simms. Why that is now becoming a very popular trend for Trevor is truly worlds beyond me. If anything, if we are simply talking about overall accuracy as a whole, both Mac Jones and Trevor Lawrence are tied best overall for me.

Regarding Justin Fields, agree 100% about his concerns. Ohio State QBs have FLAMED OUT BADLY as of recently and I fear that Fields will be the next one to do so. For whatever reason, this has been the case. From players like Terrelle Pryor to Dwyane Haskins, it seems that the QB position is the one that Ohio State sadly cannot seem to get right. I have already been on record about Fields having the legendary "Deer in Headlights" concern down pat. His Pocket Poise and Pocket Presence are also big time concerns as well. My biggest concern though is that, unlike DeShaun Watson (a player he is being compared to WAY TOO MUCH), his inability to persevere through extreme levels of pressure. That is the MASSIVE DIFFERENCE between DeShaun Watson and Justin Fields as said trait is actually part of the "clutch" ability teams look for in a Franchise QB. I did not see any of that during Fields 1.5 Years of starting; another major weakness of his. If anything, the only major reason he is being mocked so high is due to his elite overall movement skills and ability to escape through and out of the pocket. By the modern NFL paradigm, having said ability is essentially a "get out of jail" card as such athleticism allows the QB to extend plays and potentially make big plays overall. However, relying on this type of play could potentially accelerate Fields into getting jettisoned out of the league at a quicker rate as teams will quickly catch on and will quickly shut said ability down.

Mond is someone that @mac daddyo has discussed at length for a while here. That said, if I had a choice between him and Kyle Trask, I would rather take Trask as I believe that Trask has the better intangibles and possess the better accuracy, doubly so on deep passes.

Trey Lance is still my dream scenario though at pick 24. Unlikely to happen but you never know!

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I don’t think he was saying Lawrence was inaccurate, just that he found Wilson to be more accurate. He’s really blown away by Wilson.

Lance could drop for one simple reason, very little experience, hasn’t thrown a lot of passes and has only needed to be a one read QB to date. Needs seasoning. His talent is tantalizing though, it only takes one GM to pull the trigger early.

23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Lazy analysis. Who did Clemson and Texas Tech get right at the QB position before Watson and Mahomes? Who has Michigan gotten right besides Brady? Alabama besides Namath?

Judge the player, not the school history.

Doesn't sound like you've ever seen him play. Great accuracy, makes every throw, ten times the passer Lamar Jackson is, and the league hasn't figured him out yet.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    now fields has a pretty good arm. He is streaky to me. A lot of good streaks but.... He will need some time in a system and someone to work with him. He has ability but how soon it will translate to the field may be similar to masons growth. I think fields is and will be a better qb then haskins

I like trask more then mond as well and think he is at least a round earlier then mond. mond to me is probably on the same similar path as fields.

I really want us to keep rudolph and keep working him towards our next starter at some point. . Mason has time in, starts and has improved every season. I'm not ready for them to just start over yet.

trask, I believe has more upside then haskins does. Mond may have as well. Jones has eventual upside as well. My dark horse is still book. I think he could be a poor man's baker mayfield.

The kid from ND St. Will need time as well but he mond and fields all will have to be brought along in a system. They all have talent, it will be how they are handled instead of just being thrust in as a starter right off the bat.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I honestly can't believe anyone is hyping Mond.
    Highlights only show best plays...that's why it's called High...Lights...not mediocre Lights ,or Low Lights. LoL
    That was hateful and I apologize.