1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt release, let fan theories begin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Feb 12, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    that chandler jones, JJ Watt bookend is gonna be a problem

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Happy for him, but he's not getting a ring with Kyler Murray

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Can they afford all that? They don’t appear to have much money and Peterson, Reddick, Drake and Fitzgerald are all free agents, they have a lot of holes to fill, secondary and OLine are not good for a start.

They’re not terrible but I really don't think this is a good use of $31m. If Murray takes a massive step forward and they nail the draft they could be a playoff team but I think that is their ceiling short term.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know about their cap space but as for Murray, a massive step forward is a discredit to him. He’s on the same trajectory as Allen and a bigger weapon with his legs than both Allen and Jackson. Guy is extremely talented, gotten better each year.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was from his twitter, he said he will sign..nothing prevents him from making an unofficial announcement

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Arizona is a nice place to retire to from what I understand. Don't see him making a huge impact to that team but it's a better option than the Steelers signing him. There is no way he was getting that deal from us.

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I find it kinda funny he signs with the team that fleeced Houston on the DeAndre Hopkins trade.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Sporttrac has them at 190 mill for the cap this year, not horrible and likely room can be made, but 23 million guaranteed to an aging guy is not what I consider money well spent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Low state taxes, stadium can open, yet is also AC when hot. He saw the contenders, instead took the cash,

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Murray can play at an MVP level that would be a big step forward whatever way we phrase it. Allen took that step this year, no guarantees it happens for Murray, albeit I do really like him and he certainly has the ability.

I still don’t see them as contenders even if Murray is the MVP, too many holes on defence, and they have no depth anywhere.

Watt is a luxury signing given where they are at in terms of their team building. I don’t get it at all but it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Just saw on sporttrac that the Cards have 7 of there defensive starters from last year as UFA, this is also Chandler's contract year...this signing would make sense if they were close, instead it means other players will likely walk with only 5 draft picks as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Assuming J.J. Watt is 100% come 2021. Keep in mind he has had multiple back injuries and knee injuries. That catches up with players far faster as they get into their 30s; doubly so for J.J. given his position. Should he resemble anything like he was in 2015 or even 2016 then I agree. If not, it is another name to a long line of stars over the hill the Arizona Cardinals Franchise has added since Emmitt Smith that did not pan out well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Overpaid for him but he still has game and the leadership he brings is immeasurable. 2 years is a good length contract for him.

Nothing but respect for JJ, hope he lights it up. Not against us though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    .... :hmm:

The only way that the Cardinals will end up competing is obtaining either a top flight Corner or adding another EDGE player to go with both J.J. and Chandler. Gregory Rousseau is not someone I would invest in with the 16th pick. Either Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain II (assuming he is there) would work. Do not discount the slide of Micah Parsons though as I am certain that GM Steve Keim would gloss over said incident in the end.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We play the NFC West this season?! I thought it was the NFC North?!

Regarding the leadership, fair enough. Chandler Jones though is no slouch however but J.J.'s abilities far exceed his in my opinion.

16. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't think so, Watt still have some gas in the tank and will benefit that Defense. Besides, they have the money available.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    SB dude, come on lol.

18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I remember folks saying that about Russell Wilson and he should have two now, were it not for the coaches decision to ignore Beast Mode. But, we'll see.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, Chandler does have one!!

That said, what has that "Super Bowl Experience" gotten Arizona thus far is a fair point.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Money available with plenty of Free Agents inbound to select from.

21. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I've got some partners who are Card Fans and they seem to think that the team will make the moves to accommodate the signing. They are just like folks here who analyze their team's staff and cap space. No one know but their FO but they appear to be making the move based on their bottom line.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And some Steelers fans thought JJ was coming to Pittsburgh to play with his brothers, and take less money :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He probably should have gone to Green Bay, better chance at a ring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Should a would a coulda

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If refs call pass interference on GB in the SB against Wallace, or R. Mendenhall doesn't fumble we beat GB. Would've, Should've, Could've. Freaking If game. :hehehe:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021