1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is returning to the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2021.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Fichtner was handcuffed by his QB in 2020. Things won't get any better under Canada. He will be just as limited as Fichtner was. Fichtner managed an 8-8 season with UDFA Duck Hodges at QB.... after the "franchise QB" went 0-2.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Defense got them to 8-8. People need to stop romanticizing what Hodges and Rudolph did that season. The QB play was pretty awful.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Blah blah blah, doom and gloom :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Canada probably won't rely on dink and dunk like Fichtner did, the running game can't get any worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't get me wrong for the Steelers sake I hope Canada is a success. But I'm skeptical with this mix of old dog and new tricks.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Ben is true to his word about not caring about the money and signs a 1 year deal for league minimum with no Bonus; could he be allowed to decide where the Steelers spend that 18 million in cap space?

Would this savings allow the Steelers to keep JuJu?

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Like Ben?

8. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    That's one big IF.

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I know, and there is nothing in Ben's history that would indicate he would take a pay cut so the team could sign another player; but if he has turned over a new leaf, and wants to keep JuJu...

Right now it is totally in Ben's power to keep JuJu on the team if he wants him on the team.

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Agreed but we are now what going on our 4th year post Le'veon Bell and Ben is 4 years older so the equation might not be as simple as it was back then.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interestingly Ben ran a lot of draw plays back in the hay day with leveon which were successful so he'd run play action from the shotgun a good bit with success.

I'm still not down on the Rudolph pick either as in the span of time that's lapsed no one was sure when Ben would hang it up. He's still here wanting to play another year which has limited Mason's playing time but functioning as a backup qb at an economical price. So I can't say that was a bust pick regardless of the future outcome of Mason.

I think the biggest question is the current cap situation which isn't good.

12. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Big Ben is returning for another season to solidify his 5th ballot Hall of Fame status.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Just for arguments sake lets say Ben was injured more than he let on at the end of last season and he rehabs and comes back playing under center and everything clicks once again. Takes us all the way and wins another SB. That would cement his 1st ballot Hall of Fame status without question.

No the odds of that happening are certainly not in his favor but a chance exists nonetheless. Many other contributing factors have to come into play as well. Healthy defense, Running game Oline, RB that can get more than a yard or 2 consistently and a HC that isn't afraid to step out of his comfort zone. In other words a small miracle for all that to happen but since Ben is coming back I still will be a glass half full type of fan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    First of all, the title of this thread is a massive click bait since Ben is no closer to "coming back" than the day after his wonderful final game this season. Since then its just a bunch of verbal positioning between sides to look favorable regardless of how this ends up. Until a contract is signed with both sides agreeing, and being in our current situation, I am assuming he's being cut due to necessity and ROI as that is what i'd do. For me, this is not about Ben in my judgement because I wouldn't have as much of an issue him returning if our cap situation wasn't critical and we'd be able to keep some good players. But that's not the case so my wanting Ben to be cut isn't because I don't want Ben back, its because I want to keep others who, IMO, aren't old and will produce more. I opened the link you added and as soon as I saw the word "could" in the title, I stopped because its hypothetical, non factual speculation. I usually don't even open articles with titles in the form of questions. Sooner of later this nightmare will be settled one way or another. At this point, I don't care, just make a decision already.

16. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Well, when the owner says he wants him back and when Ben says he'll back, that's usually a pretty good indicator that: you guessed it! He will be back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’ll be back and with the link I posted it will probably be with a real extension and Ben trying to play in 2022.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I am spitballing here. This is just a feeling. But I don't think Ben is that way, intentionally. I really don't think he goes into a game wanting to throw 70% of the time. That doesn't make sense to me. Does he want to be the guy with the ball, and the offense, in his hand when it matters most? Absolutely. No question. But if we could run the ball down people's throats, I just can't see him checking out of a run against the dime just to keep his arm loose. I think Ben throws more out of necessity. Now I'm not saying that he doesn't like to air it out. I'm not saying that he questions himself or his ability and would RATHER run the ball.

I just believe that Ben wants to win. And if running the ball gives us a better chance of controlling, and ultimately winning, the game, then I don't believe Ben has a problem with that. At this stage in his career, I really believe he understands and accepts the power of a balanced attack and wouldn't hinder the team just for stats or glory or whatever else would make him strive for a 70/30 ratio or worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also after M. Fitzpatrick was signed. Don't forget how many games were straight up won by the D that year.
    Sorry Blast. Should have know you already said this. LoL
    I like 2 jump the gun.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben exposed ...Ben had 58 deep ball attempts yet he was the worse in the NFL.. Once Teams realized he could not throw deep the running game was shut down and Teams played tight man/zone with Robbers in the middle very often..Ben will not be able to play under Center just like last year,the delayed draw will not work because of the extra defenders in the box, the dink and dunk will not work for the combined reasons and Ben will still not be able to hit the deep ball...

So take the last 6 games or so of last season and be prepared for those types of results to start the season. I predict by game 4 almost all will be screaming what the hell was Art thinking? What is wrong with Coach T he should have known better.. Ben if you knew you physically wasn't capable why did you want to come back ? And so on...

Defenses will show Ben no mercy next year he will be dared to throw it deep right off the bat no smoke and mirrors next year oh I am becoming ill as I type...

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Money were your mouth is?????

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How much? I am confident that Ben will be ranked outside the top 20 in deep Ball Completions. We will be in the bottom 10 in 1st Quarter scoring.. We will be in the bottom 10 in rushing yards per game ..I will bet any or all of these..

I not want to make bets against the entire Team our Defense might be lights out , but I will bet we continue the same poor play as a Offense..100 on each good with you ?

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m ok with a multi year extension given that he is obviously coming back now. The only aspect that matters in that is whether there are new guarantees as part of the deal. I’d be shocked if they agree to give him new money. Assuming they don’t, the team retains the power to move on or invite him back next year depending on how he plays in 2021. We will know what their intentions are by the type of deal they give him.

I’m surprised the extension isn’t done, it’s pretty easy to work that part out so why the delay? Either the front office is on holidays or they are trying to get him to leave money on the table. I’m actually thinking he will take a small pay cut now.

24. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I've been wondering this as well. As for post 2021, they'd be foolish to offer any guarantees - base salaries hold no weight if Ben isn't on the team. Similarly for Ben, void years may hold no base salary but can be renogiated if player and team agree to reunite for one more go.

So really, whether by 'true extension' or void years the goal is achieved: move ~$14.5M of Ben's base this year to prorated bonus past 2021 (perhaps lower if an actual reduction is worked, but this is tricky with the PA, making me wonder on the delay). Odds are 2021 is Ben's last and that $14.5M will hit 2022. So the length of the extension or any base salaries are mostly irrelevant. Just don't add any more guarantees.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Exactly, extension in this case is just a vehicle to move 2021 salary in to the future. I don’t see them giving him new guarantees.

I think you could get away with an effective pay reduction if you move some of it to incentives?

• Like Like x 2