1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line for first two picks in the draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 22, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree. But I feel like Etienne is going to be explosive. Harris could be the next Derrick Henry, or he could be the next Trent Richardson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't know Duck got signed by the Chargers, interesting. IMO, unless there is a clear starter, I wouldn't go there in the draft. The odds are not favorable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Harris is way better than Etienne, Harris is the better all around RB, Etienne is faster.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't think it's necessarily about it being difficult; it's more the open book of roster possibilities over the next two offseasons. You touched on some of the starting needs for next season above; depth and developmental talent are needs as well.

Currently there are only 17 players under contract for 2022. The franchise quarterback is about to hang 'em up. It's a transitional period for the team, and many are going to be speculating on what the FO chooses to address and how as each decision can be an indicator of their vision for the next few years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    No, I think my point about difficult was not that any person on here was being difficult. My point was....identify the needs....that is where the pics come from.

Look we pick at 24. Watt for a LONG time was projected early 2nd round. Some thought he was a reach. Was he a reach??? LOL.

Let's look at the top 32 or so players. Identify those guys. You then eliminate the guys at positions we aren't going to take. The leftovers are where the options are.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It comes down to ben.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, if you oversimplify the entire process then yes, I guess everyone is making it "more difficult."

Look, I get the essence of what you're saying. But each move can have an impact on other moves the team needs to make. So naturally fans are going to speculate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Bigger doesn't equal better. Harris is bigger. Etienne is the better reciever. Etienne is a more explosive runner.

I would be happy with either or. But Travis Etienne is the best back in this draft IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well the hope would be equating the mid rounder to your Dak Prescott's, Drew Brees, etc not your Josh Dobb's of the world. The hope is hitting a homer with a lower pick the experts miss on.

It all might be a moot point anyways as Ben is looking to come back. I would not draft a QB this year if he did unless there was great value for a potential franchise qb. Many are up on this Mac Jones who does throw a nice ball. Many state he's merely the byproduct of having great talent around him. Not so sure here haven't watched a lot of breakdown just mostly highlights.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We really need help on the O-line. I`m ok with that, however that second pick cannot be a reach. If truly the best player available, or at least arguably so, then go ahead. Don`t want to pick a third rounder in the second round because of need.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Atleast 2 OL in this draft.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree but i doubt they do them both early, nor do they have too. too deep in this draft to do that. i don't think they go RB in the first either. not really the steelers way, especially in this passing league. again like the o-line, RB is deep in this one.

as in my mock draft in the draft section, i'm all about the kid from florida. the WR toney. he's got the quickness of johnson off the line which ben needs. he is built for jet sweeps which Canada's offense would use more of. he would take some pressure off of johnson and claypool. that motion and our receivers would help the run game to not have to rely on ben under center. it can be done in more then one way. washington would remain as the #4 essentially which is a good fit for him. we need another quick off the line threat like johnson is and this would be the way to add that to the offense. colbert talked about adding these types of players for canada's offense.

now for the line i still think myers from the buckeyes at center is starter capable as a rookie. second round he should be there. he does everything well but nothing outstanding. a well rounded center that should be there for the next 10 years. i still also like two really good tackles that could start but would be better after a year in the pro system, landon young from kentucky or dan moore from texas a&m. both have a lot of starts in good programs and are said to have very high ceilings down the road. :cool:

13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I've heard really good things about Jones. He's is a tactician, smart, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. I just don't know where we could or would get him with our OL issues.

14. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll see your 2, and raise you 1 more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He will be gone before 24.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They still have other positions to fill in the draft, I don't see them taking 3 OL, and I think they're already without a fifth round pick.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I saw plenty of games where Etienne was a nonfactor, and Harris being about 230 pounds is better at pass protection.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Harris in a heart beat, 6' 2" 232 with speed
    and can catch and block. Get 2 starting capable
    OL along with him. we have a chance to compete. That is
    if Ben will run the plays called.

19. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    was he signed by the chargers or by the rams?

20. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I was trying to be humorous and point out how important OL is for us to rebuild. Although, I could see 2 OL and a TE which is somewhat close.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    McFarland is explosive and played for Canada at Maryland. We're not drafting a McFarland clone.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea maybe rams.:cool:

23. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I don't understand the desire to draft a rb. I just don't. We haven't had a competent line to run behind for the last 2 seasons and one of those we didn't have a legit starting qb behind it. We don't need another rb, regardless of whether or not JC is on the roster. A competent OL will make our stable of rb's shine. Our running game isn't in the state it is in because of our rb's. It is bad because of our OL and the abysmal game-planning and catering to Ben's physical limitations/health.

Drafting a rb sooner than round 4 is almost as idiotic as allowing Ben to handcuff our offense for another season. We have needs. Rb is not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Comparing McFarland to Etienne is like comparing a Pontiac Fiero to a Ferrari.

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree on RB. I'd rather see the Steelers get a TE early than a RB.

• Like Like x 1